Why are their "Removal" tools

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

This goes for a lot of products. You get hit by something and they tell you to download their removal tool for that piece of malware.o_O

Why are these tools not incorporated into the products we buy to begin with. If they have a tool, that can remove it, then why not allow it to do it when it happens. Seems I would be a tad more pleased with its ability to do this in one shot, instead of having to add something that, to me, should be their any way. Duh!

2. progress

progress Guest

Because "removal" tools can destroy clean systems :rolleyes:

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

with all due respect, that makes no sense. Malware can to. It would only be needed if that certain piece of malware hit me and if that happens,,,,,,,,

So if I download the removal tool, I am screwed coming and going. Something is wrong with this.

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Hitman Pro and Malwarebytes remove pretty good, and dont screw your system. Man, I wish Hitman Pro was real time, they would run all the vendors to the hills.

5. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

I thought of as a courtesy service to the community to help remove widespread nasty particular malware without having to buy full product. It also allows the tool to be quickly tested, maybe some awkward methods of removal, before being implemented in the full product.

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Ok, thank you, most dont get implemented though.:doubt:

7. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Incorporating all those removal tools may also result in a more bogged down Suite.

Another idea is that some malware is aware of AV solutions and can work around them. If the removal tools arent included in the install they cant figure out a work around and at that point you can run the removal tool without booting into safe mode, updating, and the hassle that goes along with an infected system.

8. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

I think it's good advertising. If product A lets me get infected and product B's removal tool reverses that; will I stay with product A or switch to product B? I think most people would switch.

9. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Most top known vendors dont have a whole lot of removal tools that the others dont. In the case where Product A, B, and C all have the removal tools for the same infection and all work as advertised why would you switch if you use Product A?

10. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

I should have been more specific in my example. I'm assuming that product A let me get infected because it didn't detect the virus. If their core product doesn't detect it, I doubt they would have a working removal tool (assuming that more effort is put into prevention). I also think that it is safe to assume that products A, B, and C will not have equally effective removal tools for all viruses just like their core products are not all equally effective in detection at any given time. If they were we wouldn't be having all these entertaining discussions in the forums. ;)

11. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I'm just a guinea pig!...when it comes to AV...it is (all) hit and miss!

"Eh! whats ups doc?" ;) :D

12. ratwing

ratwing Guest

kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit! (to the tune of Ride of the Valkyries)

rat

13. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

d'accord - in most cases they lift the present damage.

just posted this here

Help: I Got Hacked. Now What Do I Do?
    http://technet.microsoft.com/de-de/library/cc512587(en-us).aspx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.