Why are some firewalls obsessed with rigid rules?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ploppo, Jul 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ploppo

ploppo Registered Member

Why is ZoneAlarm's default 'Remember this setting' (or similar) sorely missing in some other firewalls?

To me it is such a great, flexible, user-friendly, feature - how can it not possibly be a standard feature in every firewall for a home user?

So many products I have tried, whether it be a pure firewall or an internet security suite, are obsessed with forming a set rule.

What is the obsession with setting a rule? I seriously don't get it. Why is it not a default with firewalls to have the option of NOT remembering your choice and turning it into an ongoing rule?

Based on the fact that so many other firewalls that I have tried don't want the user to have this option (certainly as a default), then why does ZoneAlarm offer this option as default?

2. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Did you even tried among "many products" Comodo FW?Seems to me that it has such an option....as default...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  3. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

@ ploppo,
    Re: remembering rules - "how can it not possibly be a standard feature in every firewall for a home user?"
    You may want to try Kerio 2.1.5, or Sunbelt firewall (all versions, based on Kerio), or Outpost all versions, or LookNstop, or ... there are others, tons of them. They all have a way to "remember the setting & don't ask me again".

Some firewalls can build you rules automatically, in which case you're not even asked.
    Others might already have built in rules permitting common applications - wide open and less safe, so those won't ask you much either.
    If true what you're saying, it could be that the vendors don't want to intimidate the users with popup questions. Applies to the last two instances.

Navigating through firewall options normally reveals a way to do what you want.

Can you give examples of firewalls you saw that do not give you the "remember" option?

4. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Yes, I have to agree with the replies that most of the software firewalls available have the feature, at least the numerous ones I've tried over the years.

5. J_L

J_L Registered Member

What are these some other firewalls?

6. blasev

blasev Registered Member

Look 'n' stop always remmeber my choice/setup

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  7. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Maybe people are confused in what they are really seeing, first you have a program that is detected for the first time, then when the program gets updated, a good informational Application filtering alert will tell you that the signature of the program has changed, allow or not. And if you have x64 system, you have duplicates of many things, two cmd.exe, two iexplorer.exe, two explorer.exe ...

8. Spooony

Spooony Registered Member

Firewalls must be configured as minimally as possible, to minimize risks. And if risks do not exist, why run a firewall?

The answer you will be looking for is security policy. Defining the limits of acceptable behavior is fundamental to the operation of a firewall.

9. buckshee

buckshee Registered Member

What I like in fact is that the new Zone Alarm does not have the `remember me' choice but rather just remembers automatically for the future whether you selectted accept or block. I got so fed up with firewalls that make me not only push accept but also check the `remember me' as well. It seemed so stupid, if I accept a program once why would I not always accept it and similarily with block. If I made a mistake I can always go in to the rules and delete or cchange them

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.