Why am I left in the dark about ESS?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by demonblade, May 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. demonblade

demonblade Registered Member

I bought Smart Security for two laptops when it was version 3. I only found out there was a version 4 by accident. Now I've just refreshed the ESET downloads page I had bookmarked, and it seems there is another version: 4.0.424.

Is it ESET's practice to never notify their customers about updates? especially as v.4 has been such a problem (I have to use v.3 on my Vista laptop and got fed up trying to get v.4 to work). I don't know if I need to install the latest version, whether the GUI allows me to do it, or if the latest version addresses any serious problems and will actually work glitch free in Vista.

It's nice not receiving spam, but please, can't ESET send me something about updates just to show I actually exist, as other software companies do?

2. JohnPlayer

JohnPlayer Registered Member

I'd stick with v3 for now. I've had no luck on Vista with v4, but it runs perfect on XP Pro. Seems to me that ESET are hiding their heads in the sand and not getting 4 working properly.

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Could you be more specific about what problems you encountered on Vista?

4. Marcos

Could you be please more specific about these problems on Vista? As for email notifications, I'm not sure if large companies send out x millions of emails to their clients whenever their products are updated. You can, however, subscribe to RSS at www.eset.com to receive news about every newer build. Anyways, there will be an option in gui added that will enable you to subscribe for news during license activation.

5. JohnPlayer

The problems were: 1: Firewall and anti-virus wouldn't work. 2: ESS then didn't have enough permissions to repair or remove itself!! I had to do a full re-install of Vista Business. That's when I gave up and went back to v3.

6. terradon

terradon Registered Member

I don't think that #1 is being very specific. I have 4 installed on Vista SP1 and both firewall and anti-virus are working fine. They catch what I've deliberately thrown at them and allow the programs that I want to have outside connections to have them.

As for #2, a common tactic is for malware to disable protection software. What you were seeing was either a Vista or ESS security feature. If you have administrator privilages and uninstall either through Control Panel or the uninstall in the Eset folder, there isn't a problem. You have to allow the system to restart so that modules can be unloaded before removal, but that is a message that comes up during the uninstall. You don't want some malware to disable or uninstall your security programs without intervention from you and verification that you are authorized (administrator) to do so.

7. demonblade

demonblade Registered Member

I have just downloaded and clean-installed the latest ESS version (4.0.437.0) on to my Vista laptop. Everything so far is working fine without being prompted to re-do a corrupted install or having to solve any problems by tweaking settings, etc. As I have not changed anything on my system, I must assume that Eset have been busy solving a few issues. Yippee.

8. YungJosh

YungJosh Registered Member

I have version 4.0.424.0 with vista and have no problems

9. Marcos

Firstly, we'd need more information from the affected computer, such as:
    1, a log from SysInspector
    2, exported ESET registry key

Perhaps uninstallation failed and self-defence kept protecting the program leftovers on the disk. Reinstalling the OS is not necessary, our customer care would be able to provide you straightforward instructions how to remedy the issue quickly.

10. JohnPlayer

When you need your computer running you don't have time to mess.

11. bagger015

bagger015 Registered Member

Use ess on xp home without problems.

Two ways to stay on top of updates Eset has a twitter account and www.calendarofupdates.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.