Whose setup would you like to know?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Page42, Oct 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

It's not as exciting as you think lol

Win7 with some random AV or OSX for most hackers I know.

Then the security researches I know run fully configured linux machines with their own network structure.

2. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

It'd be interesting to know what the Pentagon uses for security, or the Mossad for that matter, I suppose these systems are probably constantly under attack. On second thought most critical intelligence wouldn't be accessible online. As a matter of fact wickileaks got 'leaked documents' not hacked from a network.

3. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

4. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

oh yes, the dashing Finnish James Bond: "F-Secure" all the way.

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

You haven't run into many pro hackers, my friend, lol.

Personal systems are normally Linux machines (things like Arch, not Noobuntu), SELinux, VPNs and of course virtual software. I won't disagree that there are plenty of wannabes (*Cough"Anon"Cough* with leaky systems. But the true "troublemakers" don't play with those.

Researchers, yeah, those men and women (the ones worth their salt), are on lock down.

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Correct, the critical systems aren't connected. The difference between the Pentagon and the Mossad is huge though, in terms of security. Your "normal" Pentagon systems, sadly, consist mostly of Windows machines. They are still not easy to break, but Windows is a poor choice for such an environment. They have IDS systems in place (homegrown, you won't find Comodo and Norton on these systems), hardware firewalls, you name it, they have it.

When you hear about people like Anon "pwning" the CIA and other such people, they aren't "pwning" anything but what the public can already access(whether they should be able to is an entirely different matter). You are right in that these systems are being hit 24/7... they literally never cease, it's amazing. And the people that are hitting them are getting hit right back. The only "bleak situation" (which the "alarming" blogs and media reports) is in the regular branches of the military, your Air Force, Army and Navy installations. In these areas, lack of money and training is causing severe issues that, unfortunately, don't look to be solved any time soon. These are the places most at risk, not the Pentagon and other "powerhouses", if you will.

As far as the Mossad..well, you aren't getting in there. You'd be better off trying to break into the NSA, which you aren't going to do either.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  7. Ranget

Ranget Registered Member

heh Good topic

EPX0f
    xylitol
    Meridoc
    Mar krussinovich
    Bill gates
    steve gibson
    Grinler
    Cudni
    mmmmmm who's else oh yeah
    Mark zuckerburg

8. Hungry Man

lol I assure you I have. They just don't care. The security researches care, the hackers don't.

9. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Lol, I won't argue that there are some numbnuts out there. Thank God they don't care, just more punks to take off the net ;)

10. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Zuckerberg, eh? I know a few people who'd like to know as well, but only so they could take him off the net, lol. Gibson probably uses most of the tools we do. Gates? His damn house is pretty much one gigantic computer, lol.

11. Hungry Man

I'll pass on commenting publicly on the hackers I know =p suffice to say that they're good at what they do.

12. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

You and me both. Heck, I'll pass on commenting period about a lot of people I know :D

13. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Nah not really is it? :D
    -http://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/bill-gates-house/

Or did you mean this one?
    -http://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/bill-gates-house-villa-la-leopolda/
    (Some say that he doesn't really own this villa though)

14. Ranget

Ranget Registered Member

I did know a Fact

tha Kapersky Uses Kaspersky on his Personal Computer LOL

Tell me about it some Hackers Really Really Pull some hardstuff
    i wonder how do they gain so much knowledge or do they Born that way o_O

i think his home computer won't be protected alot
    after all if his laptop got hacked i think he will throw it and get a new one
    and if his facebook acc get hacked he will just reset it :D
    as for facebook company i think stuff is more complicated
    but for what i saw from the social Network Movie
    that zuckerburg he is a hacker in the first place so Leaky system o_O

as for bill gates i would die to know what he is doing with computer these day or how he Lives his life

i wonder if Bill gets Got Hacked Ever

15. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

You expected the front door to have an "Intel Inside" and "Windows" sticker, did ya? :D

16. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Ye can't you see it? :p

17. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

The great hackers are the ones that, as kids, took apart everything they could get their hands on and studied the guts. It doesn't hurt to be a math whiz either.

Facebook as a company? With no insider knowledge, but judging by the way they operate, they probably aren't all that special when it comes to security.

Gates? Met him twice in my life, and know a little about the house. He's a good guy, has a really big heart. Almost the entirety of his house is "connected". I have no knowledge of his being hacked, but I'm sure he has had to deal with the occasional smartphone compromise, as have most people of his stature. Usually because someone hacked one of their contacts and got other numbers/info.

18. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

His coffee maker has an i7 in it :D

19. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Nah that's Lady Gaga :cool:

I think that most CEO's on the vendors that have been mentioned are using their own products, though they may test other vendors products to see what they can improve or get ideas for their own product.

20. Ranget

Ranget Registered Member

you met him :D Cool

as For what his office Look like 3 monitors and a laptop Google it
    as for his house it's a front for an underground Lab xD

i want to add someone for my list of wanna know :
    Barrack Obama and i don't think he will use kaspersky :/

don't forget that some are smarter than other

21. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

See my post earlier on the President :) In a nutshell, he himself is not "connected". What he knows about the Internet, his people who deal with online activity inform him on. He does have a Blackberry, as does just about everyone in the White House, and it indeed has been compromised in the past. But him with a personal computer with full net access and "standard" security software, no, doesn't happen.

Yeah, Bill is a good guy, for all the "dictator" remarks people said about him. Business is business, you have to be egotistical and ruthless to be as successful as people like him, Jobs, and others. Personal life is much different, and the guy is very relaxed and a "softy". Lol, as far as the underground lab, who knows. I've not had the pleasure of being inside the compound, I only know what I've heard from those close to him and from people I've worked with.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  22. SweX

SweX Registered Member

He also has an iPhone that he loves :thumb:
    Isn't that because they have to? :doubt: Including the President.

23. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Yes, because technically Blackberries are the most secure..obviously things can still happen.

24. x942

x942 Guest

I agree. I personally run a custom (self compiled) linux kernel with security features added in (like selinux) and even removed all unneeded daemons. My system will auto block anyone who port scans me, and all Russian and Chinese ip's are blocked. :D

That's what I use for pentesting (hacking). :thumb:

25. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I don't know if this substantiates what you are saying or not, but the only guy I know who could be classified as a hacker once told me his home computer had a virus, and had had it for a long time, and he just hadn't gotten around to removing it.

LOL! It was very hard for me to comprehend that attitude, coming from a guy who I was in the habit of seeking advice from on computer matters. But he seemed like he was talking about a fly buzzing around the room... a mere minor annoyance, that he would eventually swat when he had the time. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.