Whose business is this?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by KFBeaker, Dec 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KFBeaker

KFBeaker Registered Member

I know most AV companies like customers to submit possibly infected files in order to find and stop malware. But whose business is it to download and test newly released software to ensure it is safe? Does Eset ever do this?

I would like someone to look at a software program, determine if it is malware, and if yes, what damage does it do. What company or individual do I need to talk to??

The reason I ask, I did something incredibly stupid. I downloaded and paid for some software from a company I had never heard of or read reviews of. Even more stupid I went ahead and installed it. Even more stupid, when it seemed to lock up on install I disabled NOD32 to see if that helped it along.

Once the software was installed and I ran it, it locked up the whole computer on launch for three minutes before I could even move the mouse again. Upon closing the program it again locked up the system for three minutes. After which there were no entries of any kind in the Windows Event Viewer.

I uninstalled the program, but then noticed that during this whole experience my Windows Firewall settings had been altered and FUBARed all to crap.

I just want to find out what the deal is/was with this software!

(Name of software withheld for now in case it is not malware and just buggy.)

2. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I don't personally know of any company that randomly downloads and tests software to see if it is safe. If a possible malicious software is reported, of course it will be tested.

One thing you can always do is do upload the file to Jotti and have it do a scan to see if it finds anything. It does not guarantee a safe file, but it will allow the file to be scanned by multiple AV's to see if it contains a known threat.

AV companies work hard to get threats contained and definitions available to protect their customers, but in the end, it is up to the users to make sure they don't install something malicious on their computer.

here is the full link: http://virusscan.jotti.org/

3. red_jack

red_jack Registered Member

4. swami

swami Registered Member

You get fined with stupidity.

5. PaulB2005

PaulB2005 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.