Who's philosophy do you like?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Miyagi, Nov 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miyagi

Miyagi Registered Member

The malware trend is a cat and mouse game. Bad guys are producing trojans and all kind of nasties while the good guys (AV crew) produce signature and a better engine to inch closer to this game.

I must admit that no AV is perfect and it really comes to your decision as to how it runs - quietly and less impact to the system and hope the detection can be good or better. There are many good AV's out there and to me what distinguishes the most is the philosophy of each of the AV experts. I especially like Igor's values of continued development of technology and engagement in creative ideas, not necessarily all $$$. I also like his approach to his personnels. He's a cool fellow. ;)
    (http://company.drweb.com/press/igor+daniloff+cnews+interview+may+2006/)

2. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Yeah. Pretty good article. Like the philosophy. To be honest, it blows me away there are people prepared to make good applications available, for free, to make the web a better place. Like expert users who are prepared to help on internet forums.
    Any idea which the 5 main AV manufacturers referred to are?

3. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Symantec, McAfee, Trend Micro, Dr.Web and Kaspersky (assumption).

And to be honest, I like Michael Neitzel's philosophy the most - FOR THE HORDE! :D

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I agree with you and oddly i was just reading up on DR Web and about to put a link to dr web cure it in my sig.
    it seems that Igor only puts in detection for malware that is needed to keep updates small and the program lighter.

I think dr web is getting to much critacism about its so called low detection rate in av-comparitives. and if what it says on its website is true then its updates are fast around the world.

Quote from dr web website "Only 25 minutes are required for an update to be made available for the Dr.Web world-wide users - this is the time to carry out a comprehensive internal testing of a new add-on"

im still gonna get kis6.0 for my main desktop thou.

if i had a secound computer that i would use seprates on I would proably use dr web. on my main pc my dad will only let me use a suite.

i dont think i will have any problem with kis6.0 on the desktop.
    lets hope not or my dad might make me go back to f-secure ugh IMO>
    lodore

Last edited: Nov 29, 2006
  5. Arin

Arin Registered Member

"Everybody in the anti-virus software market knows that there are only five companies worldwide that offer technology of their own. The rest steal it from others."

Geez! Whats the use of saying this if you don't name those companies for our benifit? There is already enough mud throwing going on with Vista compatibility. We don't want more, we just need more information.

~~~EDIT~~~

We all know IC worked for ESET before joining Frisk. So if he applies some neat trick he invented while working with ESET on the latest F-Prot engine then will it be stealing? I think companies go way ahead while defining what is their intellectual property.

6. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

No, i liked the interview exactly because he doesn't name them.;)
    That way i can really accept his views on the AV market.
    He showed class

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Firecat wrote,
    "I think dr web is getting to much critacism about its so called low detection rate in av-comparitives."

Maybe, and it might be a good AV as far as running well. You may like the philosophy. But I have an AV for protection, and the higher the detection rate the better if it runs well on my system. When Dr Web rates lower than AVG and Avast freebies I cannot see any good reason to buy or even use one that has lower detection rates.

I have no argument with the Dr users, but just as a matter of dicussion it is interesting to talk about.

Best,
    Jerry

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ok then i knida see your point.
    and it was me that wrote that quote:D
    lodore

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

agreed and thats mainly why im gonna use kaspersky 6.0 because theres no point in using f-secure when kaspersky 6.0 is more advanced and lighter and faster updates. why settle for a clone?
    lodore

10. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I don't have Dr.Web, and forgeting the fact that he's Dr.Web, his point is exactly that detection rates don't mean anything, that it's marketing. I don't know if i agree, but that was his whole point. Plus he doesn't believe in 95% rates.

11. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Certainly 'No Disrespect' intended here to IC and the other hard working experts in this field but my answer would have to be 'None of Them'.

Why you ask. Because AV's strength are 'Signature Detection' which is the 'Re-active Approach'. And please don't say "Yeh, well what about Nod's Heuristics". When an AV can blend in 'Heuristics Detection' that can approach Signature Detection Rates, that would be some Awesome program. But even the best Heuristics still miss 40% or more of the time and IMO, should not be relied on just yet. Proof of this is the recent IE 7 download link circulating via email that contained a trojan and i think also a Rootkit. Wasn't detected by the best Heuristics.

So until Heuristics improve greatly, i would recommend mixing in the 'Virtualization' approach with the 'Re-active' approach.

12. yeuxbleus

yeuxbleus Registered Member

I agree! Too much emphasis tends to be placed on heuristics when the technology is still far from being fully developed. The top AV's still tend to be those that respond to threats by putting signatures out the fastest.

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

agreed! kaspersky has almost got it perfect signiture updates everyhour 16-24 updates a day and proactive defence for 0 day thefts. and soon there is there new heuristics.
    why relie on one when you can use all three?
    lodore

14. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Regarding not naming the "big five":

Agree entirely.
    To name them would have been typical of the type of mud slinging seen in many politicians, and in my opinion, invalidated almost the entire content of the interview.

15. Firecat

Depends on what you call mud slinging. Suppose you throw mud everywhere and it happens to fall on those five vendors, then its still mud slinging right? :D

16. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Yes, I guess it would be. So it's reassuring that Igor didn't seem to throw any mud around at all, really, just said it like he sees it is. Naming the 5 would've cast aspersions on a lot of "the rest".
    (Course, you can do that on an internet forum :ninja: Not that I would!:blink: )

17. Firecat

Well, I found the interview good enough except for the part about Polipos.....There was a small amount of mud thrown in that part of the interview. The rest of it was fine.

18. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Yeah, I like DrWebs - Igor Danilov: "The Anti-Virus Software Market Is A Big Bubble".
    How true. Myself, normally I dont use av, I much prefer to use my own tools and some other nice tools others have put out, I dont worry about 97.98% detect this and that or what the av is scanning for on the www at the time - for me more like 100% in alot less time a 'full scan' takes! and a good practice, I much prefer to use av as a backup tool. Dont get me wrong I'm not against av, its just that I dont need them normally - but others do or feel they must - no problem, its just I've been using computers along time and making a mistake would be unusual. What I dont like is how some av is touted around and thats why I like DrWeb.

free services
    http://download.drweb.com/drweb antivirus free services/

19. marcromero

marcromero Guest

To get this thread back on topic, I too, like Igor Daniloff's perspective on what an antivirus should be and that's why I like and prefer Dr.Web Antivirus over the others. I also like the way he manages his virus database, keeping it lean and clean, small and efficient. I think his company is heading in the right direction, driven by quality, not dollars.

20. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I cant argue that either. I think it is cool that he survives on honesty and dependability. Money isnt everything either in life. That is why I also got drawn to Avira and their perspective. Even on the suite, they donate a portion to the Auerbach foundation. It is because of companies like these 2, that thankfully keep others on their toes, and the little guy, never to be forgotten. I would much rather give my money to someone like Dr. Web, or Avira. Marcromero, you have my respect.:)

21. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

off topic Posts removed. Let's attempt to keep certain technical discussion threads free of comical in nature posts Please.

Thanks,
    Bubba

22. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

philosophy?

the best has to be bitdefender, 'securing your every bit' :D

23. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I have always loved that one IMO. ever since i heard it.
    lodore

24. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Yeah, the Polipos "scandal" was more like a "self-owned" situation than something really impressive.:D

25. Wai_Wai

Wai_Wai Registered Member

Yes, as it is another marketing hype. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.