who still uses keriver disc image?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by zfactor, Feb 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

testing this out again and although a limited feature list i have not seen any faults and it is working very well been a while since i visited this program and it seems to still be pretty solid.

is it still worked on and or updated? anyone have any major issues with it??

2. andylau

andylau Registered Member

Keriver Image has not updated for a long time
    5.2 Build 2697737465 just added support for Win8 only.
    Starting from 5.0 to 5.2 (2010-12-xx to 2012-12-xx), there are no big changes in its program/features, especially, 5.1 to 5.2.

Code:
    What's new for Version 5.2 (Build 2697737465)? ( released on December 22nd, 2012)

1. Supports Windows 8 Edition.

What's new for Version 5.2 (Build 2696301206)? ( released on July 12, 2011.)

1. Ability to install the recovery console program on disk, so you can restore without creating a bootable recovery CD or USB Flash drive.

What's new for Version 5.1 (Build 2696065621)? ( released on February 22nd, 2011.)

1. Adding multi-language support: English, French, German, Polish and Chinese.

What's new for Version 5.0 (Build 2695672761)? ( released on December 23rd, 2010)

1. A new user interface has developed and which is very nice and lean.

2. Ability to back up individual files and folders.

3. Ability to clone a hard disk or a partition directly.

4. provides a detailed event log.

3. zfactor

yeah i saw that, and i own a lic i just rarely use it but i was thinking about installing this on a family members system for them to use since i dont use it much, just have not used it in a long time and was wondering how it was currently working for anyone. also any major known issues?? i also see that eazy image and the other copy are still on v5.0 they did not get updated even to 5.2 yet...

4. Jim1cor13

Jim1cor13 Registered Member

Hi zfactor :)

I have used Keriver Image 5.2 off and on for about 5 months now. I only use the bootable version which offers backup, restore and cloning and is a fairly complete bootable media and gets the job done. Bootable version does NOT offer mounting of image such as you could do within windows. If installed in windows, it offers the capability to boot into its recovery console without the use of boot media if one chooses which is a nice feature.

Restore is fast, creating an image is a bit slower than some other imaging apps, but this is rock solid in my opinion. I have created both partition images and full disk images, and have restored several partition images. It has been flawless and as reliable as Terabyte or Macrium in my opinion for what it offers. I will say I am not certain about if Keriver Image has full support for UEFI/GPT, I assume he does but it is only an assumption, but I do not have that kind of set up so for my needs it has performed perfectly, but cannot speak for those who have UEFI/GPT setups.

I think although Mr. Zhao has been busy with other matters, he has done excellent with creating a very reliable and solid product in Keriver Image, and keeping it updated as necessary, such as the recent announcement of windows 8 support.

Personally, I think it would serve the needs of most users requirements and it has proven to be reliable at least for me compared to some of the more recent offerings from companies that actually alter restore data and make changes that were NOT in the image created, which to me makes little sense but some imaging apps are in my opinion straying away from what their purpose is, and some of these apps actually alter things that should not be altered.

I have had more recent offerings from 2 companies that upon restoring an image, I found altered data post restore, and one company that actually changed either cluster size or something, because after restore, my OS partition had somehow enlarged by over 2GB and operation became very slow, so it was obvious this is NOT a proper restore, especially when one expects a restore of exactly what was imaged, and nothing else.

So in my opinion, the 3 I use regularly, Terabyte, Macrium, Keriver Image have successfully maintained their focus and purpose of doing what they offer and claim, and doing it very well and reliable in my experience.

Just my thoughts, and I hope that helps in some way. Always good to see you my friend :) I hope you are doing well.

Jim

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  5. andylau

Jim1cor13,

Generally, if an imaging app does not update for a long, it may let users lack of confidence to keep on using it.

I think its recovery media does not support booting from UEFI as it is an 32bit WinRE.

My regularly imaging apps are Ghost and Acronis.:D

6. zfactor

acronis is a really good app but way to large and to many thing ill never use i also hate running procc's unless i run it on a schedule.

7. andylau

I use Acronis' linux or WinPE bootdisk only.
    I have never installed Acronis' program on my real OS.
    Acronis provides downloading for linux bootdisk directly.

I switch back to Acronis because of Terabyte Image for Win/DOS/Linux. Terabyte just cannot do the same thing as what Ghost and Acronis do.

8. zfactor

which is what? i find very few limitations with ifw...

9. andylau

The main reason is that it cannot restore to smaller partition without compact or resizing both source and target partition
    I also do not like it needs users to enter partition size manually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.