Who says MSE doesn't have heuristics??

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by PunchsucKr, Mar 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Saraceno, you are a gem.
    Thank you so much. I will come back to this post at a later date and use your setup recommendations. P.S. tnx for the PM.

The selection of a firewall is definitely a difficult task for a newbie.
    I was told a very long time ago by an old timer "newbies should always ask questions that they do not know the answer to, but should never answer questions that they do not know the answer to" (we were talking about motorcycles at the time). A sophisticated firewall may just put me in such a position.

2. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

Thanks Saraceno. After reading your tutorial I decided to give the MSE/Sandboxie combo a try.

3. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

FD, emmjay, threedog, thanks for the feedback.

Just a couple of notes, regarding 'quick recovery', if you make your 'desktop' the place where you are going to save imporant files, make sure you set firefox, chrome, or Opera to save files to your 'desktop', or to 'ask where to save'. Keep in mind, if you save files to 'my documents', sandboxie won't give you a prompt to recover the file.

Opera
    Opera.png

Chrome
    Chrome.png

The reason I don't enable 'immediate recovery', is just incase 'something suspicious' downloads, and the prompt pops up, and you might accidentally accept the prompt to recover the file. Another good tip. Once you recover a file to your desktop, such as a media file or program installer, there's nothing stopping you from then right-clicking and running it as sandboxed to see how it performs.

For example.

Where to go to enable files and folders

Sandboxie files and folders.png

The installer recovered, now we're going to right-click and run it 'sandboxed', just incase you think it might be malware. eg. program says portable, but you can see if it really is portable.

Sandboxie run file.png

By expanding the folders, you can see files being created in system 32 folder, user data folder etc etc. If this was a portable application, or a media file, and you notice it's creating all sorts of files all over your system, you might want to terminate the sandbox, and delete the file.

Sandboxie run file 2.png

And emmjay and others, if you employ 'sandboxing' of the recovered files (if they are somewhat suspicious downloads), or say upload any 'unknown' files to http://www.virustotal.com/ or better yet, installing the virus total uploader (at their site under email/uplaoder - where you can right-click on a file and sent it to virus total directly and have it scanned by many different virus engines), you'll have a very light and extremely solid setup. If you need to update your browser, do it the regular way, outside the sandbox.

:)

4. PunchsucKr

PunchsucKr Registered Member

I'm already using sandboxie+mse combo, its just the best combo out there!! Great tutorial tho.

5. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Thanks PunchsucKr. There are other settings to tighten the sandbox, creating other sandboxes, dropping rights, internet restrictions, and so on (some applications might not work properly, and will require further tweaking/monitoring to get right).

But for general users, as long as they make sure they clear the sandbox regularly (say, every couple of hours of browsing), the basic settings are fine.

The lightest setup I've tried. As long as the files you recover are download from reputable sources, you won't ever have a problem. Apologies again to you for the thread hijack! :)

6. PunchsucKr

PunchsucKr Registered Member

haha.. no problems if its gonna help people. :)
    and yes it is the lightest security combo ever. the problem is i have never had a virus from the internet for years now :D ... i mainly keep my av for those pesky flash drives from friends. :blink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.