Who runs an anti-virus scan these days? Apparently almost nobody

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Minimalist, Jan 28, 2015.

1. 142395

142395 Guest

Actually, AV is good for even advanced user too. More than 90% is nothing less than very good. To be fair, I've seen so many misses by best AVs in my tests, but you can't say AV is useless just because it misses. It's the same discussion that if manual is useless, the fact is good manual covers 80% cases, but at the same time manual is not the ultimate golden rule. The point is, somehow people tend to focus on those 10 or 20 % and says it's useless, a typical all-or-nothing argument. Same goes for classic signature detection, more than 50% blockage by AV is by sig but somehow many Wilders guys value and focus more on heuristic, BB, reputation, etc. which actually don't occupy many percentage. Tho I admit one factor is BB or reputation usually comes after sig scan, I won't be surprised if most of threats detected by sig bypass all other layer, otherwise why AV vendor add signature for them? And threats I've been reported are usually those bypassed all layer and after report they were detected by sig.

Needless to say, relying solely on AV is not good. But if combined with common sense security and up-to-date system, you'll be 99% secure. I know not a few MSE users who haven't seen infection (they confirmed it by 2nd opinion scanner).

2. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

It seems to me the discussion has veered away from 'who runs an AV scan these days' to 'who runs an AV these days', - quite different.

3. Infected

Infected Registered Member

I run herdprotect once in a while. No need for an AV. But I do run Webroot on my wifes laptop and check it out once a week or so.

4. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I suppose it comes down to how one views it, ghodgson. I can just as easily say the two are quite similar, and that only timing separates them.
    You are correct, the discussion has veered. Yet the fact that folks keep bringing up real-time when the thread is specific about on-demand points to the correlation between the two. :)

5. Behold Eck

Behold Eck Registered Member

Who runs an antivirus scan these days ? Apparently almost everybody...going by the replies to this thread.

Regards Eck:)

6. guest

guest Guest

Well, most home computer users don't initiate scheduled scans all by themselves. They even don't bother to update the AV manually. :eek: Thankfully most AVs automate these procedures out-of-the-box.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.