Who Owns This Warning Panel ?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by John Bull, Mar 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Hi John,

Firefox... in options under security.

3. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Opera and Chrome have similar warnings with phishing sites.

A lot of their information is coming from: http://www.phishtank.com/

You can go to phishtank and test a few links. Today, Opera seems to have added the links the quickest.

Opera warning on today's link
    Opera.png

Chrome missed, but will add it later. Otherwise, site will fool user into providing facebook login details.
    Cam site.png

Chrome warning on yesterday's links.
    Chrome warning.png

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  4. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

Well ! Jumpin Jiminy, I never knew and I had to waste the valuable time of somebody who must surely be one of the most qualified people in Wales to tell me ! I bet the Postman would have known, but my Rottie won`t let him anywhere near the house, so I could`nt have asked him.

I have checked the "Block reported attack sites" under Security, but I never knew they would display a panel, just thought they would BLOCK them.

Had Firefox shown THEIR logo instead of that damned Traffic Warden, I would`nt have had to appear such a dumb-bell. Ding-Dong.

I feel a real twit raising such a question on the Forum. Still, we live and learn don`t we ?

My very best wishes to you - Goofy
    alias John Bull

Cymru am byth

5. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

John, not many people know this. Some would think it's their AV throwing up the warning, or the alert itself is part of the site, or a website that's down.

It's firefox, opera, chrome doing their part to protect users. Opera seems to display the most clear warning using their name/logo in the warning.

Keep in mind, not all of the links on phishtank are 'valid' phishing sites. So only some will be blocked by firefox, opera etc.

Here's another:

Opera warning
    opera warning link.png

Notice site will steal a user's login details. Clicking on any other links for support etc won't work (a sign the page is there to steal info).
    wow phish.jpg

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.