Who is safer?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Franklin, May 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

OK,I throw out a challege.Who is safer?:)

The only app that auto starts on my pc is ZAP mainly for program control as I have a hardwre firwall.

Starting FF with adlock plus and noscript through Sandboxie IMHO protects better thasn any blacklist realtime scanners.;)

Sure I have E-Trust vet And Ewido as on demand scanners which never find a thing after emptying the sandbox.

As for Emails I only use OE which I complement with Palmail to check and delete any unwanted incoming Emails at the servers end.

So what I am saying is that I don't run an AV or AS realtime!

If and that is a big "IF I ever get infected my ghost images and or clone will get me out of of it which have never been implemented due to malware.

Do you think you are safer than my setup?:)

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

IMO you have to add a snapshot software to your setup, like FDISR, ...
    You need a clean snapshot of your system partition, that restores your actual system partition in a clean state as many times you want a day.

During TWO restores, your security setup will protect you to a certain level, but not enough.
    Once you restore your system partition it will be clean again, no matter what happened during that period.
    Of course you have to separate your system from your personal data first.

3. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I know that feeling, it is great to have uninfectable PC, even without dozens of realtimes. ;)

4. TNT

TNT Registered Member

Yes. :p

5. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

Yes, I am.

Well, maybe not safer, but at least as safe as you. :p

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I would also reply yes. Franklin the flaw I see in your logic is two fold.

1) you are assuming the software works perfectly and has no bugs. That isn't always true.

2) you are assuming you will make no mistakes. Alas I know for me that also isn't true.

Therefore, I believe in layers
    layers
    layers.

Pete

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Poor Franklin. Another disappointment in the Insecure Security World.
    Don't worry about it. Keep on trying, just like me. :)

8. herbalist

herbalist Guest

I would also say yes. Instead of ZA and Sandboxie, I use Kerio 2.1.5 and System Safety Monitor. Proxomitron replaces NoScript. My registry and core system files are replaced by clean copies, kept in an encrypted partition when I reboot. My hard drive is backed up to both an external hard drive and CDRWs. They've never been used because of infection or system compromise. I've also stopped using a resident AV, manually scanning e-mail and downloads. Haven't installed any anti-spyware or anti-trojan programs. Not needed.
    If you put a hardware firewall or router out front and add a good HIPS program with real time registry protection, you'll get the bulletproof system you're after, at least as close as you can get to one that uses windows.
    Rick

edit
    Didn't see that you already have a hardware firewall. o_O

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2006
  9. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I use several pcs, but let's take one for example:
    No mail client - only on the web.
    Jetico firewall, which also has application control.
    Firefox with some of the extensions you mentioned, under DropMyRights!
    Open Office rather than MS Office...
    Ha!
    Mrk

10. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

It is all about settings, if eg someone read email in txt and never open attachment, he can not get infected via mail. That is a fact. The same for browser, if all "dangerous" things are disabled, there is no way to get infected. If the WindowsXP is properly set up (services, policies) and you do not angry any hacker, you can not be touched. We are still talking about getting infected, not about getting hacked, right, because any PC can be hacked?! ;)
    All those settings are confirmed by months, years of practize, during which the user did not get infected neither once, so the user can assume, that all his settings are right. :)

11. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Interesting strategies you've got there herbalist. Thank's for commenting.

GF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.