Who is guilty SSM or CS ?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Metting, Sep 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metting

Metting Registered Member

Hi friends

I have just purchased CounterSpy and I have SSM Full 2.4.0.619 installed.
    I installed CS without problems and SSM was learned well about it's activities.

Now in the warning window of SSM when a new exe wants to run there is a link to browse for the file or to scan it with a virus scanner if available, in both cases when I click the link to browse or even to scan, the system hangs for 2-3 seconds then the computer restarts.

This always happen whenever CS active protection is enabled, and when disabled I can browse or scan with NOD32 from SSM's warning window without any issue.

Now who should I blame for this CS or SSM ? and which technical support I must contact if any ?
    Is there a known conflict between SSM & CS ?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks and best wishes for all

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I dont know whos fault, but Id contact both companies and see what they say.

3. Metting

Thanks WSFuser

I contacted both

SSM no reply yet

CS sent me an email saying that CS is enough for me :eek: and advised me to uninstall SSM and Boclaen and stay with just their terrific CS :'(

What a professional tech-support reply ? :thumbd: They reminded me Symantec support replies ! What happened did Symantec bought CS ?

Any thoughts from wilders friends are welcome.

Thanks and regards for all

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

That is kinda bad reply but Symantec did not buy CS.

BTW does CS's active protection have different components? Maybe you can narrow down which one is causing the problem.

5. Metting

Many thanks for your help

CS has many monitors, and I tried to disable them one by one to find who is responsible, but without any success.

even if there is only one monitor active the problem appears, and the only way available till now is to deactivate CS active protection completely o_O

It seems that there is a conflict between CS monitoring service's Kernel Hock and SSM .

Thanks again WSFuser

6. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I am not surprised at the response that you got from CS about removing the other conflicting programs. Any software firm would tell you to discard others and use theirs instead.;)

Not sure why they made a reference to Symantec? Could you have mistaken Symantec for Sunbelt?
    http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Support/

7. Metting

Actually they didn't reference Symantec at all, I'm the guy who mention Symantec because Sunbelt's Tech-Support reply seems as much like as those nonsense replies which we used to get from Symantec Tech-Support.

So I was kidding when wondering if Symantec has bought CS ;)

8. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Have you configured anything in SSM's Preferences/Options/Antivirus section? If you have, try clearing these fields - they determine which scanner SSM will try to use and it could be this that is causing the problem.

9. Metting

Thanks for your try to help

Even if there is no Scanner determined in SSM the same problem happens when I click "Browse" in SSM warning window to browse for the file which wants to run.

Thanks again and best wishes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.