Who is fastest for adding detection?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Durad, Sep 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

Just installed avira with mamutu yesterday, and the first one mad more than 10 false positives. Definitely more than kav = 0

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

AVIRA is still known to produce more than necessary false positive . That is why they lost the latest VB

3. fried_oyz

fried_oyz Registered Member

well, kaspersky failed because of a false positive as well.

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

That's right. :)

5. wildvirus88

wildvirus88 Registered Member

Yes... I sent... They are really fast too... After minutes or hours they add the detection.

6. wildvirus88

Panda Security is a Spanish company and no a Chinese company. The fact that panda be a bear of China have no link with Panda Security, the Spanish company. If what they say in the website is not truth I think av-test can request about it in the tribunals.

I'll like to see it. I hate liers. ;)

7. icr

icr Registered Member

NIS 2009 adds even faster within 15-20 mins

8. risl

risl Registered Member

It's all random, some company might have success some day and some vendor the next day. Then again, some vendors might be excellent with some particular type of malware or variant/family. There might also be problems with mail servers, spam filters, etc. that prevent uploading/sendin the sample .. and the user will end up thinking that it was ignored.

I think it's impossible to say which company is the fastest for adding detections.

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i think you have to look at consistancy.
    i have always got fast detections from kaspersky.
    when ive sent samples to drweb ive got fast replys also.
    havent really send samples to anyone else.

10. risl

risl Registered Member

Yes you are right about consistency, but single user experiences with some specific vendor might differ because of some other reason than the vendor itself.

.. and Kaspersky does have a good reputation for being fast :)

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

if eset improve the speed of adding samples and give response of when it will be added i will send samples to them also.

12. wildvirus88

Do you remember the sample I sent to TrendMicro, Dr.Web and Panda Security on 09/23/08?
    The sample is not detected by the three AVs yet.
    All that I have is a reply from Dr.Web with "ID of [drweb.com #608495]" from 09/24 but I think they are still analysing the file. No detection yet.
    Trendmicro and Panda: no response yet, no detection yet.
    \o/
    The virus makers love these AV softwares!

13. Anth-Unit

Anth-Unit Registered Member

I just had a recent experience with this and heres what happened:

Trojan was detected by only one vendor at first(Microsoft AV). I submitted my sample to Antivir (my av program) at around 7:00 EST on Sunday. Kasperkey detected it a couple of hours later. And Antivir and Eset detected it the following morning. Avira seems to be a little slow adding definitions on the weekend.

14. wildvirus88

F-Secure is slow on the weekend too. It's the reason I prefer to send to Kaspersky on weekends.

I think it's a nonsense because malwares don't stop to disseminate on weekends. While F-Secure, Avira and most ALL AV companies are enjoying their weekends and holidays the viruses are being sent world-widely.

15. Anth-Unit

Anth-Unit Registered Member

Actually, F-Secure got it at the same time Kaspersky did. Just forgot to mention it. But I completely agree, updates shouldn't slow down on the weekends.

16. wildvirus88

F-Secure is fast if you are not in the collector list.

They put me in collector list and sometimes I need to wait some days to see the samples being detected... And I receive no reply too... It's very frustrating... What's the problem if I get samples (mostly new) to send?
    Kaspersky doesn't do this distinction and adds my samples always in some minutes or hours.

17. wildvirus88

Panda is detecting \o/

Trendmicro and Dr.Web don't...

So lazy! Or incompetents... you choose...

18. WigglyTheGreat

WigglyTheGreat Registered Member

I agree with you here. I work weekends, nights, holidays, 16 hour days when I have to until the job gets done so why can't the a/v companies.

19. Zetelo

Zetelo Registered Member

Twister AV adds a lot of new updates, especially at weekends. And everytime I leave a message, the staff answers them within 12 hours. I think that's an aspect which other vendors should take into consideration as well!

20. Medank

Medank Registered Member

Ohh why do you say it?
    then subimit the false positives to Avira and they will fix it.

21. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Hm, avast! seems to be pretty fast at adding definitions lately.

22. wildvirus88

Today I received a lot of replies from Kaspersky Labs about samples that I sent more than 1 week ago. Happily it's not usual.

23. 3xist

3xist Guest

From Kevin (BOClean Owner/Developer) - Where some one asked about how long it takes to add signatures and creating them, etc on a malware.

24. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

Sounds pretty fast. Does this also contain CAV?

25. 3xist

3xist Guest

Yes... 20 mins on average for CAV, to create a signature for each malware. CAV is getting alot of samples thanks to the people who joined the Malware Research Group... I believe some one submitted 20,000 samples & another shared his/her entire malware database. :)

So it will take a while to catch up on those malware samples... apparently the guys are flat out in the labs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.