Who have used rising antivirus?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zp3222237, Oct 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zp3222237

zp3222237 Registered Member

Now its edition is 2007. 2008 will come into the market soon.
    It has about 60% market share in China.
    But i never use it. I don't know why it never take part in vb100 test.
    Does it have market out of China?
    Who have heard of it?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  2. clambermatic

clambermatic Registered Member

I have heard about it, among us Mandarins. That 60% market-shares in PRC may probably be a bit of a hype.

PRC has more than half a dozen AVs developer, "Rising" was one of those. Considered a major along with 2 major ones, they command a tad less than 50% of the PC users' market in PRC.

I have seen and tested one many moons ago (forgot the name momentarily). Nothing significant, slow and plain GUIs (if compare to western hemisphere developed units).

I will report back, with some download links included. Anyone who wanna test-drive those should better dusting off their Mandarin reading fluency. Coz the packages are all done in PuDongHua.

Asides... hmm, them Mandarin AVs only catches/clean Mandarin viruses. Any 'foreign-devil' infections were never disinfected... they're EXTERMINATED/EXPUNGE* outright! ;)

*Including weird but legit OS objects/components. :)

3. Arup

Arup Guest

http://www.rising-global.com/

Seems like they have West Coast labs and TUV certification.

About Chinese security apps, some legitimately good ones come from there, Pro Security for instance, also the champ of root kit detectors, namely Ice Sword, perceptions aside, not all products coming from the western hemisphere are exactly state of the art either, some of them are ranked pretty poor and pathetic as well.

4. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

1) Rising will eventually take part in VB100 ;)
    2) Rising AV has at least limited exposure in the world; they are regularly tested by AV-test.org (scores are OK), at AV-comparatives Rising did not reach the minimum pass percentage.
    3) Rising detects well enough, better than most other Chinese AV products out there IMO.

GUI is good, support is good, but the program is still buggy and needs some more polishing IMO. :)

5. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I tried out rising antivirus a few weeks ago and was quite impressed with it. Its easy to use with a simple UI plus it runs light and fast. It also comes at a good price. I also noticed that rising have an ebay store as well which offers cheap licenses.

6. zp3222237

zp3222237 Registered Member

There are 3 major chinese AV products:kv2008,KingsoftInternetSecurity ,Rising . 60%(or more) market-shares in PRC they have said in ads (I never believe it). As i know ,Kaspersky is very popular. And of course,more and more foreign av products like norton,mcafee,avast,nod32 and so on has their fans in China. Most of my friends use Kaspersky though it is more expensive than rising. Rising has the largest market share in our country is undoubted, not because of its quality but its good market tactic in my opinion.:rolleyes:
    I am a little sleepy:isay: , good bye.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  7. ink

ink Registered Member

The support is much better than other vendor in China, about comparative test, if use the sample mainly from China, Norton will not got average grade, kaspersky is much better, they add the definition the fastest.
    New version added HIPS function, if you are advanced user, this will provide enough protection, no need to buy other product, such as nod32, Norton, Mcafee, it is expensive than the local three, without any added protection or value of support.

8. zhanwest

zhanwest Registered Member

folks,
    recommend that u do not adopt the antivirus software,:mad:
    it is worthless at most. It is not only my sincere opinion, but also opinions of many Chinese users.

9. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

with all that chinese malware, you must be crazy!

10. Mirin

Mirin Registered Member

In Japan, Rising costs about $35 per license (3 PCs) that expires at the end of MS support lifecycle of Vista.

11. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Actually, HIPS, behavior blockers and sandboxes are all the rage over there, exactly because of "all that chinese malware". :D

12. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

Hi C.S.J:

I think Zhanwest was referring to Rising av, not av's in general. If I am wrong, then you are right.

13. Firecat

And why exactly do you think its worthless?

14. ink

ink Registered Member

I think he is mention the disastor caused by viking(Worm.Nimaya) in China since the end of 2006, the icon used by this worm is panda, this word soon become the hottest word on the internet, the worm update crazy and battle with the antivirus software, everybody scared to use the computer, no antivirus can safeguard the user, even the KIS with PDM has the chance to be beaten if not properly answer the popups and with the weak point reveal that it can be easily disabled by changing the system time back

15. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

One would think that an av produced in China would be the most effective defense against China based malware out since 2006. Anyone else know of this worm? Never heard of it but I have to admit it does have one of the cooler names for a malware.

16. ink

ink Registered Member

Not exactly so, kaspersky norton and nod32 also gather samples in china, besides the internet submission, but you know, the vendor has massive user and call centre always response faster, you can find a security blog about this worm on symantec website.http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/...og/2007/03/fujacks_worm_creators_fixtool.html,you can also find the whitepaper on this page, http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/reference/ThePandaOutlaw.pdf another famous trojan graybird from china,http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/security_response/weblog/2007/04/farewell_graybird.html

17. ink

ink Registered Member

"if you walk into an Internet cafe in China, rarely do you see people using search engines like Google or on Web sites like MySpace. Instead, the vast majority of people have headphones on and are playing online games such as Lineage or World of Warcraft."

The threat in China is mainy trojan, backdoor, downloader that steal your virual or real wealth, all these kind of threat need frequent update, proactive detection on these kind of threats may cause high false positive. Windows auto run is becoming the important way to spread such worm or backdoor, so you can find the protection software target the auto run, antivirus here provide protection of IE from running excuteable files, provide special protection mode when some game or online transaction program run. You can find these old function in new NIS2008

18. clambermatic

clambermatic Registered Member

... Zhanwest definitely was commenting on 'real-time' experience. I believe her words. But if given another year or two, specially after 2008 Olympics, those current chinese 3majors should vastly improve their lots!

Why? because they & the others have already focused their next dateline - 'World Expo 2010', which gives the most coverage on anything branded "PRC". but as of present, my opinion were still the same, as posted below.

19. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,folks: On October 16,2007, Rising AV has released a breakthru version, Rising AV 2008, Chinese version only, offering domestic users 90 days full version free trial. It claimed these three features have pushed it up to above the crowds. Real-time signature updating, proactive defense and unbreakable safe. I have seen the second feature in KAV and the third one in ZA pro(firewall, not an av),perhaps Rising's are more extensive and more secure ? As fas as the real time signature updating is concern, it could likely be the first of its kind, in order to accomplish that, Rising has expanded the number of servers up to more than 300 units. So far users have mixed feed backs(very common re new release), some complained high resource usage, system slowdown, system hiccups and hangups. Few gave positive comments. It is too early to draw any sort of conclusion yet. Rising may make other language version available at later date. IMO, its vast and deep database may serve an eye-opener for PC uses outside China.

20. solcroft

It's already available in English. You can select the language during installation.

"Vast and deep" database, on the other hand... I think AV-Comparatives may have something to say about that, or people who've actually used it, myself included.

21. Firecat

Its "vast and deep" compared to some other Chinese AVs IMO, but as a whole it still needs some work.........I got a link to try out Rising 2008 but have not done it yet.

Rising can be a good product, but I feel its not quite there yet. :)

22. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, Solcroft:
    Thanks for the correction.
    It will be very interesting to see experts' comment re; whether can Rising AV's real-time updating and deep/vast database hold water or not. Take care.

23. solcroft

That, at least, does not.

It's... not really all THAT bad, but "deep and vast"... no.

24. Firecat

"Real-time" updating....does anyone know what its supposed to mean? o_O

25. solcroft

As incredible as it may sound, it means just exactly that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.