Who has never been to Catalina Island?

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by Close_Hauled, Aug 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

If you ever come to California, you should make it a point to visit Catalina Island. I love to sail there from Long Beach and just do nothing but drink Corona's, listen to Jimmy Buffet, and swim in the water. Another thing that I like to do is backpack up to Blackjack Mountain and camp with the buffalo. There's lots to do there, but whatever you do, DON'T YOU DARE GO THERE TO PLAY GOLF!

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

26 miles across the sea santa catalina is a waiting for me. Romance romance romance romance. Been there done that. you can have a lot of fun over there.

3. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

I've been there 3 times - yes, it's very nice. An old friend of mine used to work Wrigley's ranch.

4. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hey, that's the game where you try to knock lawn balls through little metal gates, right? :D

5. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Hey C_H,
    My daughter and son-in law recently bought a 41' Formosa and are living on it (temporarily). They are moored on Coronado Island and plan to set sail for Catalina Island soon. Having just returned from his second tour in Iraq (never to return I hope!) my son-in-law just needs to tie up a few loose ends, resign from the USMC, and off they go into the sunset. They both are also backpackers, skiers (water & Snow) and trekers. Do you have any good tips I could pass along to them?

Regards, big ed

6. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

I do Big Ed! For Catalina in general, or the whole backpacking, skiing and treking thing? I can do either.

As for Catalina, I can give them a whole itinerary right off the top of my head. It all depends on what they plan on doing. Backpacking up to Blackjack and camping there is true roughing it, but the buffalo roam free through the camp site, so it's cool. I have a great photo of a momma and her calf standing right outside my tent. You can find some wonderful vistas up there while hiking around the mountain.

If they are going to sail over to Avalon, they should sail over in the middle of the week so that they can get a mooring close to shore. I like to sail over Thursday night and arive around midnight to pick up a mooring. They also should keep in mind that even though they have a mooring, the owner could come over and bump them off. They will be moved to the next available mooring if that happens.

By the way, does that Formosa have all the hand carved woodwork down below? Pretty boats, good to live on for two. Slow for the light air that we get here, but if you want an inexpensive boat to live on, that's the one.

http://newimages.yachtworld.com/1/1/0/4/7/1104772_1.jpg

7. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Hey, C_H
    Thanks for the info. They will be coming home to MA for a visit the last week of Aug. Then on to their planned 2 wk trip to Catalina. Knowing them, they will want to experience everything that the Island has to offer. They are not Golfers so no time will be wasted there! Noticed that you are from Ma originally. Kids are trying to get wife and I to move out with them. Am seriously considering but only if we both have our own space. Have been out to visit a couple of times, and judging from the people I've met, there are more Ma natives in Ca than there are in Ma.

The Formosa Sea Tiger is the older one w/the wood carvings. It has all the latest electronic doodads. It was previously owned by serious sailers and was judged to be in excellent shape. All the rigging is doubled and eng. purrs like a kitten. They have a rescued Greyhound living aboard that cannot swim, so after falling overboard a doz. times or so, had to buy a custom lifejacket for the beast. I did not have the guts to ask them how much it cost.

Any additional tips would be welcome.

Regards, big ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.