Who among you have already used or are using GhostWall Firewall?

Discussion in 'Other Ghost Security Software' started by sweater, Sep 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    :rolleyes: I'm curious if this was really a good firewall. What's your experience w this? :cool:

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Sweater

Since it is free why don't you test it. If you are asking does it work, the answer is yes. But only you can deteremine if it is a good firewall for you. If you need an application based firewall, then no it isn't. But if you are comfortable working with firewall rules yes it is. Read some of the threads about Ghostwall, and it may help you judge.

Pete

3. gruest

gruest Guest

I'm looking into trying out Ghostwall as well, also Looknstop and Netveda.
    The fear that I have in trying out any of these, though, is how well they uninstall if you don't like them.
    It can be an awful pain to get rid of old Antivirus like Norton, for example, and I'm just plain scared of a similar problem with firewalls.
    I only have the one harddrive; no external drives, ghost images, or anything else to do extensive backups on.
    Is there any precautions you would suggest before testing out a new firewall so that a system won't get left damaged with bits and pieces of 2 or 3 old firewalls hanging around the registry or elsewhere?
    (As you've probably guessed by now, I'm not an expert in playing with regedit :)
    Currently I'm only using XP SP2 firewall, which I realise is not adequate.
    Thanks

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Gruest

Couple of points. First if you install Ghostwall, it won't be hard to uninstall. Also Jason, and others are here to help you. But note like Windows Firewall, Ghostwall, really doesn't do appilcation outbound blocking. Finally you should be somewhat comfortable with a rule based firewall. I would say Ghostwall isn't for novices.

The other sugggestion I'd have you consider is doing something about your backup system. Sounds like you are pretty vulnerable there. One thing I do to protect myself against uninstall problems is use a program by Raxco called First Defense - ISR. This program makes a bootable image of my harddrive(so you need adequate diskspace) that allows me to undo anything I've done, I don't like. It won't protect against disk failure however.

Hope this helps.

Pete

5. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Don't ashampoo do a bit of software that analyses everything that an installer installs then it can uninstall everything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.