While rounding up the components ....

Discussion in 'hardware' started by MICRO, May 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

for a new computer I could not see a CD Rom Drive in the Products list and sent an Email but all I got back was, 'we don't stock them now' - I had asked if they had been superseded but the above sentence was all I got
    (maybe they didn't understand what superseded means)- That being the case can someone please enlighten me on this subject re.,

Burners for CD/DVD's as against the old CD Rom Drive - I mean is a Burner all that's required, or I do still need what I call a CD Rom Drive as well - I would prefer not to fork out for unnecessaries ?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh yes and can someone please tell me if the 'Strap' looking things inside a computer would be included with one of the major components, or do I need to buy them as a separate item - if so can you tell me what they are actually
    called please so I can look for the price of them ?

2. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Multimedia drives come in different flavors. The original type was just CD ROM. Later the writable version was introduced- CD RW drive. Then the DVD format was introduced and then the writable DVD-RW format came into existence. Drives can be read only or with read and write functions. I haven't heard of a write only drive, but others can answer that. if you are going to install a brand new drive, make sure that your system supports the device. Some systems cannot support DVD drives. Nearly all can support CD ROM and CD RW drives.

I believe the strap that you are referring to is the cable connector for the drive that attaches to the motherboard. It is not normally included with the drive itself. If one is not already in your computer, you will need to get one. Again, the motherboard has a slot for the cable connector from the drive and you have to get the right type of cable connector. Hopefully, you have an owner's manual that will provide some specification information for your system as to what you will need.

Last edited: May 7, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.