Which web browsers do you use?

Discussion in 'polls' started by Eice, Apr 18, 2009.

?

Which web browsers do you use?

1. Internet Explorer (incl. Trident shells, i.e. Avant, Maxthon, GreenBrowser etc.)

103 vote(s)
    38.4%
  2. Mozilla Firefox (incl. clones, i.e. Flock, IceWeasel etc.)

167 vote(s)
    62.3%
  3. SeaMonkey

5 vote(s)
    1.9%
  4. K-Meleon

10 vote(s)
    3.7%
  5. Opera

96 vote(s)
    35.8%
  6. Google Chrome (incl. Chromium ports, i.e. SRWare Iron)

65 vote(s)
    24.3%
  7. Safari

10 vote(s)
    3.7%
  8. Camino

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  9. Konqueror

2 vote(s)
    0.7%
  10. Other

7 vote(s)
    2.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

i use

Firefox 90% because it support addon like noscript and my kis scaning addon link scanner which is not supported by opera

which make ff more better and also scan even in kis sandbox environment which is good :)

opera 10 %

2. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

1. Chrome
    2. Firefox (only for the addons) - rarely

3. c2d

c2d Registered Member

Opera

4. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

CometBird most of the time.
    FireFox for the wife.
    IE6 for Windows Updates.

5. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Moved from IE to Google Chrome recently, IE is becoming a dinasour, especially in development. :rolleyes:

6. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I sometimes use IE for pages that doesn't load on Chrome o_O

7. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Firefox because it offers a blend of good standards compliance, performance and useful tools for Web Developers (such as myself).

8. YanK33

YanK33 Registered Member

i am a big fan and long time user of FF but man this Chrome thing is so good and using chrome and the speed is sick.

9. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Keep using it
    You will get addicted :D

10. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

11. YanK33

YanK33 Registered Member

yep i uninstall FF and keep only with Chrome, yes still need more work but they are a huge smart people doin things easy for your PC and i love the way its work and when i use the full screen wow i have all my 23 widescreen to watch my pages is sick i love it when i open those heavy pages with Ad Block and Chrome you get the best browsing experience right now.:D :thumb:

12. YanK33

YanK33 Registered Member

sorry FF, I Love You, im, back baby lol but i dont like No Script is too obtrubsive and if you visit and load again and again the same pages you make the rules and done but if you like me browse all day all places you get headaches with No Script so i stick only with AdBlock with Flash Blocker

13. ProrokX

ProrokX Registered Member

+1 for Opera
    Just love it:D

14. YanK33

YanK33 Registered Member

wow i was using Opera like 5 years ago and was the best browser available and Opera 10 looks good i will try it right now lol

15. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Opera & K-Meleon (with SRWare Iron as a back-up). I used to use Firefox until it got a little bloaty.

16. ameyap

ameyap Registered Member

ie8 and firefox 3.6 currently

17. TheObserver

TheObserver Registered Member

Hello Wilders.

Just decided to join. You are always very informative!

Here's my take:

When I looked for an alternative to IE a few years back, I looked at Opera first because of its features, especially email. After struggling for a long time to integrate to eschange data with Outlook, as well as incompatibility with some web pages, I gave up on it. However recently I decided to have a look again and am still reviewing it.

I then looked at Firefox as instinctively used it until now because it never got in the way of my web browsing. With opera it was all about opera. With firefox it was all about the browsing, much like IE was at the time (- the security). Then I got extension overload and every few months I would just start afresh. Firefox always kept it lean and that was attractive as opposed to some of its variants at the time.

Fast forward to today and firefox has enough built-in functionality for me to make do with only a few needed add-ons. I have to have a tab counter because I usually have many tabs open due to the nature of what I do. So that aspect of browsing determines what I can use these days.

Also one note here is that firefox 3.5 crashed continuously for me. That situation has been improved with 3.6, which also seems a bit faster to me. While my power machine has almost no crashes. My other machine still had problems, so I had to go out and find another browser to improve my productivity.

I reluctantly started to use Chrome although I hated google update. When Chrome started having extensions, I was sold. It has WOT and that is essential to me. It is almost as effective for me as firefox and quite nippy!

So Today:

1. On my power machine - quad core with 8GB memory and Win7 64-bit I use firefox 3.6.

I often have up to 200 tabs open at one time - busy bee. None of the other browsers can handle that. Why bring amateurs to do a professional's job. I have tested firefox 3.6 with more than 300 tabs. It uses a lot of my ram, but it does not crash. The others I tested - Chrome (next best), Safari and Opera can handle 100 tabs. In fact Chrome can go over, but becomes unwieldy. IE8 starts deteriorating/crashing after 50 tabs.

2. On my other machine - Dual core with 4GB of memory and Win7 64-bit (This machine used to have Win7 32-bit with similar results) I use Chrome as the default with Firefox as a backup. IE8 is still on the machine, just in case, but I have made it less accessible by removing shortcuts. I try to maintain chrome with less than 100 tabs at a time. The problem with firefox on this machine is that at around 100 tabs its starts crashing as the machine has less resources than the power machine.

An Update: I have since experimented with SWR Iron (the portable version) and this seems to have improvements in speed over chrome. Also it has no communication with google - otherwise it is very similar.

Just thought the tabs-resources part would be interesting to others. :)

-The Observer

18. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

Hi :)

99% Firefox :cool:
    IE8 .. Now & Again!

But! :D
    I'm thinking of giving Opera a try :doubt:
    The only thing that's putting me off trying Opera...
    1) I've heard there are problems with the latest version.
    2) Without WOT .. Don't think I would get much use out of Opera.

Does Opera update easy like Firefox does?
    OR
    Do you have to uninstall old versions - & - Install new versions?

Thanks In Advance! ;)

Zeena

19. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Only Opera and Chrome as secondary, Opera is my mail client as well.

20. mvario

mvario Registered Member

Firefox about 90% of the time
    Iron maybe 6%
    Opera like 4%

I also have IE8 and Safari installed, but I never use them. IE, MS doesn't really give you a choice, and Safari just wasn't stable.

[EDIT] No more Safari. The latest version crashed 3 times in 10 minutes. It has always been unstable for me, but this takes the prize. Buh-bye Safari.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  21. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

IE works pretty good especially on the Vista machine. Firefox is the slowest on both. Safari is great! Opera is good, but I have the same issues some have mentioned, Web pages do not come up exactly right sometimes.

I run all of these at various times...I like variety :D

22. PRUHDG

PRUHDG Registered Member

Opera on host machine.
    Firefox(noscript,abp,prefbar) in VM.

23. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

O
    Unless there is a new version number, Opera updates quite easily and with Opera sync, you never have to save your bookmarks ever. For new version numbers it would install in a separate folder. For WOT, you have Opera's inbuilt haute secure which is enabled by default. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

24. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

I use chrome 80% of the time, then firefox at 10% and opera at 10%. I do use IE but ONLY for sites that won't work on any other browser.

25. SafetyFirst

SafetyFirst Registered Member

Opera for "naked" surfing :)

Firefox with NoScript, Ghostery, Request Policy, External IP, Adblock Plus, WOT, Better Privacy, FoxyProxy and Vidalia bundle when using Tor ;)

Chrome for Freenet :ninja:

IE8 veeery rarely :isay:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.