which way to go?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Tassie_Devils, Feb 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

OK, TAS is about to get a new system ~ COMPLETE new system ~ Tower, MOBO, HDD, 21inch Monitor *drools*, etc. etc. including even a keyboard/mouse/mousepad, lol

speed:
    2.4G CPU
    512Mb DDR RAM

My question: I have been offered a version of XP PRO Disc[FREE/LEGAL] from the dealer.

Do I?

Stick with Win2K PRO [for which I also have fully paid for disc, and pretty much know and LOVE, went straight from 95 to 2000, *phew* what an amazing difference that was]

OR

Get XP. I have always said I would never get it, but it seems to be a good offer. :D FREE after all.

Any comments? Oh, I do NOT, at present, run any games which could change, so that can be a factor as I am told XP is a good gamers OS!!!

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Well, this is probably only going to come down to people's opinions... So, I'll offer mine :D

Why not get XP Pro? It is the latest OS currently available from Microsoft. And inspite of whatever people wish or hope, Microsoft isn't going to step backwards and suddenly make W2K their primary OS again. XP is now. It is well patched with SP1, and it is now a known quantity. All kind of sites will tell you what to tighten up on it security-wise, so you can be safe. (I tightened mine up. I have no excessive services running, nor any unneeded ports listening. Nothing "calls home" either.) It's just a matter of learning what to do with it and doing it.

So, why not try it out? (Oh, and it's stable and fast, too. Especially the incredible fast boot process. Amazing!)

3. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Tassie_Devils,

IMO both OS's have their pros and cons. I had to get used to the XP look, but it can be turned off if you want to, and more and more programs are adapting it, so the Teletubbies jokes are getting old fast. :D

Maybe too obvious, but why not create a dual boot system and use both.
    It's worked out great for me.
    Create three (or more) partitions. One for Win2k, one for XP and one for programs

4. root

root Registered Member

2K all the way. It has the benefits, but not the drawbacks. Simple as that for me. :D

BTW take the free XP, just in case. :cool:

5. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Well, I am honoured, I got "hit" by the three wise men indeed, lol.

After I had posted, it suddenly struck me, why on earth not do both for dual boot [thanks for "confirmation" Pieter, lol]

Also good idea partitioning 3 drives 2 OS's and 1 for programs. Keep it more secure that way instead of the default C:/ drive.

LowWaterMark, yep, I sure will be visiting sites I have bookmarked for services just like I did with W2K.

Root, yeah, I know mate, I reeeeealy like W2K, but LowWaterMark does have a point that the "happening" OS is XP and they sure aren't going to take that "step backwards".

Sooo, it's off to the store next week and see what I can accomplish.

Many thanks to the 3 of you taking the time to post, respect each opinion thoroughly. ;)

Cheers, TAS!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.