Which was the first OS you ever used?

Discussion in 'polls' started by HURST, May 21, 2008.

?

What was your first OS?

1. DOS

124 vote(s)
    33.8%
  2. Win 3.1/3.11

46 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Win 95

59 vote(s)
    16.1%
  4. Win 98

50 vote(s)
    13.6%
  5. Win NT (2000/NT/XP)

17 vote(s)
    4.6%
  6. Some Linux flavour

3 vote(s)
    0.8%
  7. Mac OS (any version)

10 vote(s)
    2.7%
  8. Other, please specify

58 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Commodore BASIC based on 6502 Microsoft BASIC or GEOS.

2. james21

james21 Registered Member

Windows 95! ;)

3. ex3

ex3 Registered Member

pcdos

4. Doc2626

Doc2626 Registered Member

My first OS was DOS 2.11. I got to like it so well, that I stuck with it all through the different versions, until 6.22 came out, and by that time, I was being pressured to flip over to Windows. I finally gave in and tried 3.11 For Workgroups, and stuck with that almost until 98 came out. Then, I changed over to 95 (I ain't exactly what you'd call "cutting edge").

Now, I'm on XP-Pro, and hope to be too blind to use a computer, before they manage to bully me into switching over to Vista or 7.

I played around with some Fortran in the Navy, and tried to learn COBOL, without much luck. My first PC was an Osborne 1, with CP/M, but I'd already been using DOS for quite a while when I got it.

32K RAM, Dual 5-1/4 floppies...boy, have we come a LONG way, huh?:D

5. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

wow yeah i had a commodore and ps/2 at the same same way back then so i used both dos and commodore at the same time, used dos all the way up to 6.22 then went to windows on one machine and also in between used os/2 warp on another before upgrading everything to xp. now running vista on all machines.. i personally like vista. but i do so miss the days of dos..

and yeah man my first ps/2 was something i only had a single 5.25" floppy though lol..

6. Al_C

Al_C Registered Member

DOS 1.1

There were not too many choices back in 1983. My first PC didn't even have a hard drive, and Unix was not an option either. The first PC that would run Unix was the 386-DX.

7. lagerstedt

lagerstedt Registered Member

IBM DOS in 1992.

Win 3.1 is not an OS, only a glorified user interface running on MS DOS. This also applies to Win 95, 98, ME. NT was the first real OS.

8. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

My first was an old Mac, not sure which one it was. The OS was installed from a couple of 5.25 floppies. Had the smallest monitor I've ever seen. My first Windows was 3.1. The hardware died a couple days after I got it.
    Win 3.1 is a legitimate operating system, as are MSDOS and the 9X systems. Both DOS and 9X systems are still in use in industry, business, and on many home PCs. They've served users well for many years and still do. Denying that they're operating systems is absolutely pointless.

9. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I run a Qualcomm Global Satellite system when in my occupation as a 24/7 freight expediter, but that never prepared me for a Windows system of any sort. It took me quite awhile just to learn old Windows 98SE in the beginning, so thats the first real O/S i can honestly say i ever used.

EASTER

10. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

CP/M was my first OS in a 1984 TRS-80 Model 4 (affectionately known as Trash80), with 64KB of RAM!

11. bugmenot

bugmenot Registered Member

My first System was an old compaq (dunno which model) that had a 486DX CPU, 8MB RAM, S3 VGA card with 512k VRAM, 512MB HD (and crappy BIOS which had the 5**MB limit), 28.8k modem (was the rage back then), 24x CDROM, 5.25" and 3.5" floppy drives, 15" SuperVGA monitor, ESS audiodrive soundchip. The thing came with win3.x, but I wiped it right away and installed linux on it (that was a Yggdrasil, with IIRC a kernel 1.4 and the then "experimental" 2.0 kernel as optional install). That was the first OS that I used (since I didn´t even use the win3.x, booted the PC with the linux floppy+CD combo as soon as I got it). From there got to see win95, NT, ME and XP at college (all while walking all of the linux development across all my diferent computers, and OS9/X in an old iBook I had once).

12. hex_614

hex_614 Registered Member

it was windows 98, way back year 1999. when i was 15 years old. here in the philippines the technology is very much behind those years. but now we are very much updated

13. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

For me it was Commodore in the mid of 80´s I had one for 2 weeks and I didnt understand a sh*t so I sold it to some kid and lost money (it was quite expencive for the incom I had then).
    I decided then that computers are just for stupid nerds with no life.
    6-7 years later I bought my first PC with Windows 3.0 (25MHz CPU, 50MB HD and whopping 1MB of RAM.) and bloomed out as the nerd I truly am.

14. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Unix, I think. It was around 1986 or 87 and the police department I worked for moved to computers. I never learned to use it. Being close to retirement, they let me slide and do my work on paper and a secretary typed it into the computer. I retired in 1988 and used my trusty Royal typewriter for a few years.

The first OS that I actually learned and used was in 1991, DOS 5 and Win 3. The computer was a V-Tech, 16mhz, 2MB RAM and 40MB HD. That computer is now owned by an acquaintance and still works, but isn't used too much these days.

15. jackrabbit

jackrabbit Registered Member

IBM 370 mainframe in 1976!

16. axial

axial Registered Member

17. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Just to give you and idea of how old this os stuff is the first "os" I used myself was an 80 column boot card on an IBM 1401. In 1962, with 4K RAM the executable program was "booted" in after the mc level logic from the card was loaded into memory and that logic booted / read in the real user program also in mc code from the cards that followed in the reader.

The next step up was loading programs from magnetic tape. We had tape that could be read forward and backward for finding programs, so there the idea was to place the most requently used progams near each other on the tape to mimimize reading time. It was interesting to watch the tape ( 4AM) it would make short litlle jerky moves as the "hot" programs were called!
    Tended to wear a hole in one part of the tape. (this is how I learned the value of backups for programs) Each program counted how often it was used each day and we wrote that out a run end time so the Monitor tape could be recreated with new hot numbers as the sort key.

Later when disk first came out about 1963/64 they were slow & small we only used them for programs including the first IBM's DOS program on the 360 computers in 1964. Sort of like a partition today on a hard drive for windows and other programs.

The IBM DOS disk program source code was purchased for about $50,000 by Bill Gates.

IBM thought they made a real deal because they believed that software was not a very valuable item, anybody could make it! But Bill used this logic to create his first Operating system. In many respects it isn't all that much improved today. No one worried about security due to parasites as these computers were NOT connected to public networks with no security as we are today on www.

Hardware is vastly better but our logic is not anywhere near as advanced.

End of history saga, I know this stuff cause I was there as a sytems engineer supporting DOS and writing programs to run with it.

18. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

MS DOS. 17 years ago, if we talk about x86. Otherwise C-64 1986.

19. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

MS-DOS. Ah, how I miss those days.

All the tweaking of autoexec.bat and config.sys to get those games running that required 600+ kilos of basic memory. And running QEMM to get other stuff working :)

20. enthios

enthios Registered Member

Apple DOS 1.2, on an Apple II+ computer with 48k of ram, a Hayes Micromodem that could crank at 300 baud(!), 2 floppy drives the size of shoe boxes, and a 9 inch monochrome monitor. The year was 1980.

21. Long View

Long View Registered Member

1963/64 ? is this a typo I recall the original PC with DOS in development in the late 70's with Dos 1 in about 1982 ?

22. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Atari ProDos, as I remember. And... um... CPM (when dinosaurs still roamed the earth).

P.S. If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.o_O

23. entropism

entropism Registered Member

an 8Mhz XT with a floppy, no hard drive. DOS 3.2 I believe? After that I jumped to a 386 100Mhz (actually a 286 converted to a 386) with a 100MB hard drive. Those were the days... I think Norton was still a quality brand back then. :p

24. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

XP. It helped me discover so-called "features" I won't be seeking in any future OS!

S

25. nightfox

nightfox Registered Member

My first OS was Windows98 & it was also on my very first computer;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.