Which VPNs don’t reveal to websites that a VPN is being used?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by tonnot, Nov 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonnot

tonnot Registered Member

It seems like some sites like whatsmyip.com not only confirm what ip address they see, but also say whether they detect that a vpn is being used. I would like websites I visit to not know my real ip address, but beyond that, I’d like websites I visit to not know that I’m even using a vpn or proxy. Do some VPNs effectively hide the fact that a vpn or proxy is being used? Of the VPNs which have the best reputation on this forum—like Boleh, Mullvad, AirVPN, and Private Internet Access—are there any with which I’d have a better chance of not revealing that I’m even using a vpn or proxy?

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Once a VPN service starts using an IP address as an exit, more and more users start accessing more and more websites, and doing more and more things. Some of those things, such as scraping content, forum spamming, torrenting and so on, attract attention.

Eventually, the IP gets labeled as "Network sharing device or proxy server" or whatever. It may even start to show up on blacklists, such as those shown here http://whatismyipaddress.com/blacklist-check

VPN providers monitor this stuff, and do their best to keep the IP usable. But eventually, they need to replace it.

The same thing happens with Tor exit IPs. For Tor, there's also the fact that the Tor Project publishes a list of exit IPs, and some sites block them all preemptively.

3. tonnot

tonnot Registered Member

That makes sense. Are there any of the recommended VPN providers which tend to be more vigilant about monitoring their IPs to try to keep them from being labeled as proxies or network sharing devices?

4. imdb

imdb Registered Member

if hiding behind an ip is your main concern and if privacy is not a priority for you, then you should go with providers that have the most ip addresses such as hide my ass, strong vpn, ip vanish, etc.
    but i must say that in practice there's a negative correlation between the number of ip addresses a provider have and user-friendly privacy policy and tos.

5. mirimir

No, not HideMyAss!

They are a good source of free proxies, though, for hiding Tor use from websites. In that context, they don't know who you are, so they can't tell LEA anything useful.

6. imdb

imdb Registered Member

yeah, i agree. and i believe i made it clear in my post, or didn't i? :doubt:

7. mirimir

I never mention HMA without noting that they cooperated with LEA.

AirVPN and PIA have lots of exit IPs, and I don't have any particular reason to distrust them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.