WHICH SPYWARE FREEWARE & OTHER PROGRAMS

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by petimager, Jan 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. petimager

petimager Registered Member

I'm new to this so please excuse my questions.I'm not sure which freeware is best for detecting spyware & covers all the basis for protecting my PC from trojans ,malware tec. I have hijackthis downlaoded, cwshredder, Bho, ad-aware free version & spybot free version downloaded on my PC. I have windows xp & windows service pack 2 downloaded also. I use the AVG anti-virus software 7.0 the free version. With a different freeware antivirus software out there I would like recommendations as to which is best to use & that goes for detectig spyware, trojans etc.? To keep my PC from being messed up by viruses, trojans spyware etc. I'm not sure if I have downloaded too much software or these are sufficent being a beginner. Can anyone please shed some light on these subjects? Thanks

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

if you want an av that detects trojans worms and viri you probably would need Kaspersky or Mcafee but if viri is basically what you want from an av Nod32 is about the best in that field with a very good hueristics. You should also consider getting spywareguard and spywareblaster which are both free and excellent programs

bigc

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

personally i prefer avast! home edition for a free AV. neways, some other programs u might wanna try are sygate personal firewall standard, prevx home, protowall or peerguardian 2 lite, and a-squared free.

4. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Well, Markus Jansson's website is a good starting place. The Links and Software section of Markus' website has an extensive listing of options. There are as many strategies available as there are users. Most recommend some type of layered approach with discrete applications handling different tasks. The advantage of this is a level of redundancy if any one portion is defeated or ineffective. The downside is that it is very easy to go overboard and render a system operationally unstable. The best-in-class of the payware software will outperform freeware options - but a completely freeware based solution is viable. This is how I'd cover it....

This isn't a comprehensive list, but it's a reasonable starting point. You're already asking the right starting questions - especially what constitutes too much. As long as you keep realtime activity under control (and this is strongly dependent on a lot of factors, including surfing habits and machine power), you'll be fine. Make sure that the options you choose to run real time do not have completely duplicate functionality - backups approaches are fine, but duplication of effort is overkill.

What do I run? See here, it's mainly payware but it does provide some structural context.

Blue

5. richrf

richrf Registered Member

If you are looking for excellent detection without regard to cost (money and resources), this is what I decided for my machine:

1) KAV 4.5
    2) ProcessGuard (guards against dll injections, rootkits, keyloggers)
    3) Ad-aware
    4) FireFox 1.0

I have other on-demand programs that overlap the above programs. I use these programs for verification and overlap checking, but under almost all circumstances, the above set of software has proven to be very reliable and comprehensive. ProcessGuard 3.0 has proven to be an indispensable part of my overall protection system together with my firewall (ZoneAlarm).

Rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.