Which software firewall is the most configurable and the most secure?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by CoolWebSearch, Sep 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CoolWebSearch

CoolWebSearch Registered Member

Hi,everybody.

I'm new to this forum,but however super-moderator Paranoid knows me as "Extreme" on Outpost Firewall forums.

Here is the question I wanted to ask you,basically I wan to know what are your opinions.

Which software firewall,of all today,is the most secure and the most configurable:
    Jetico Personal Firewall 2.0.0.35
    Outpost Firewall Pro 4.0.1025.7828(700)
    ZoneAlarm Pro 7.0.408.000
    Look'n'Stop(newest version)
    The upcoming version of Comodo Firewall Pro 3.0
    System Safety Monitor(newest version)
    ProSecurity(newest version)
    Any other firewall?

People here were saying a year ago that Outpost is the most configurable firewall,but it seems to me that Jetico right now takes the lead,although I'm no expert on this.
    Can anyone help me on this?

Regarding anti-spyware programs:
    The best anti-spyware that I've ever tested on my own computer is Spyware Doctor.
    Now,what I have basically done is that I simply let all malware from the net come into my computer-please do not try to do this,my hard disk almost got crushed.
    Basically you need less than 10 minutes when your computer says "Critical System Error",however than I managed to test Spyware Doctor-it basically cleaned over 800 spywares samples.
    But,please,don't try this at home,it's extremely risky.
    The reason I have done this is because I wanted to test Spyware Doctor by myself.

Cheers!

2. Thanasis159

Thanasis159 Registered Member

I absolutely love Outpost Firewall and I find it very safe and extremely configurable... Also Kerio 2.1.5 is very good and of course comodo!

3. Bls440

Bls440 Registered Member

I'd say the most configurable are Jetico / LnS / Outpost.
    About the security, I don't see any difference between all the firewalls you mentioned. These are all quality products that will keep you safe.

4. Climenole

Climenole Look 'n' Stop Expert

Hi CoolWebSearch :)

One remark:

http://www.syssafety.com/faq.html

"Basic Network Firewall (BNF) is a new SSM feature which allows users to control outbound network traffic generated by applications. For example the user can prohibit any application to connect to network or to allow it to connect to the trusted network IP addresses only. BNF works with two IP address groups - trusted and untrusted. The user configures each group through SSM network activity pop-up or Network Rules tab of the main window. An application can only be allowed/disallowed to connect to each IP address group as a whole. NOTE: BNF only controls outbound traffic thus it may be considered a helpful supplement to the built-in Windows Firewall which in its turn allows controlling of inbound traffic for applications."

SSM is an HIPS (a good one) not a FW.

:)

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Of those listed (and even those not) I would say that Jetico is perhaps the most configurable. With it you can configure things that aren't possible in any of the others, such as TCP flags etc (well perhaps LnS can do this too, not sure). Don't know how it stacks up on outbound compared to the others that specifically specialize in that though. Depends on what you need...

6. Climenole

Climenole Look 'n' Stop Expert

Hi Kerodo :)

Yes LnS can set the TCP flags and many other "granular" parameters...
    even at low level like 0x888E Ethernet Frame WiFi)...

:)

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I thought I remembered something like that... thanks... ;)

8. Minimax2000

Minimax2000 Registered Member

I have no complaints about Outpost 4.0. It gets on with SSM and Defensewall
    very well. Outpost is not the best concerning leaktests (Matousec) but it does its job and is sufficiently configurable in my opinion.

Besides Jetico firewalls are too clumsy and not very user-friendly.

Cheers
    Frank

9. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Same statement is true for ProSecurity.

10. dave88

dave88 Registered Member

Most configurable? and most secure? Jetico for sure, but as has been said it is not the most user friendly firewall. I would hardly call it clumsy though.

11. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

A rule-based firewall will give you the control you want. With a proper ruleset, all rule-based firewalls offer the same security (excluding bugs and the grey area of SPI filtering)
    There are other things to consider: speed of packet filtering, logging abilities, GUI, other functions (web filtering, leaktest performance, IDS, etc) not really related to a firewall's main role.

12. Diver

Diver Registered Member

I noticed Comodo is not on the list. Its free, widely used and highly regarded. Does very well on leak tests. Forgive me if it is not on the list for a reason, it may well be.

13. mant

mant Registered Member

this is the best duet on this planet:

Kaspersky Anti Virus (not KIS) + Outpost Firewall. :thumb:

i hope Kaspersky have sandbox mode please.. and Outpost Firewall to be serious developing on that Antispyware plugin please.. :thumbd:

14. xandros

xandros Registered Member

i use kaspersky internet security
    no hackers no viruses

its very light on my pc
    see the pic
    [​IMG]

15. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Configurable is what way? If this is for packet filtering then I would say:-

Jetico Personal Firewall 2.0.0.35 (even version 1)
    Look'n'Stop(newest version)

I would of said that Jetico as allways been more configurable (for packet filter) than outpost,.. at any time. (even version1 as mentioned)

16. CoolWebSearch

CoolWebSearch Registered Member

Hi,Stem!
    Thank goodness you answered.
    I do have some questions about Outpost and some general questions about firewalls(only a few,but they are quite tricky,and it seems to me you're one of the few who are experts on these things).

You asked me configurable in what way?
    Well,in any way,for example in what way Outpost would be the most configurable firewall?
    Zone Alarm Pro?
    In how many categories we can divide configuability?
    And which firewall is the most configurable for each category?
    Also,if an firewall is extremely configurable,does it mean you can configure it in such a way it becomes extremely secure,in shorts:
    does more configurability means greater security and protection?

Stem,if you don't mind I have few questions of other stuff(some more complex questions regarding firewalls and security like kernel driver installations),and I would like to here you opinion,but I can't send those questions before Thursday because I'm too busy right now.
    If you want I can give you my e-mail.

Cheers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.