Which setup firewall etc?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by aliennode, May 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aliennode

aliennode Registered Member

Ahh man so confusing.

Deciding what is the best firewall to go with Vista home with Avast anti virus and I was thinking to install Spyware Doctor I already have bought.
    Been reading couple threads about Comodo Zone alarm.

Is Spysweeper better than Spyware Doctor an compatible with vast AV etc?

2. aliennode

Please somebody can tell me what is good to go with Avast AV and Spyware Doctor?

3. Alcyon

Alcyon Registered Member

If you want a good antispyware, i instead recommend you the free edition of SuperAntiSpyware.

4. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Well, I have tried many firewalls (Looknstop, Pctools, Comodo, you name it, all the big brands and I havent had any problems between Avast and the firewalls, except Outpost Pro, sort of. OP does have some kind of grudge with avast. OP did disable stuff like the antispyware module in OP (personally i never seen the point of antispyware anyway so no problem for me)
    They worked well together part from that.
    Right now I am trialing Rising Personal Firewall and it works, as all the rest, well with Avast.

5. aliennode

Do you think Zone Alarm is better than Comodo?
    What you think is the top ones to have?

6. Pseudo

Pseudo Registered Member

You should trial firewalls yourself and see which ones you like best.

7. HURST

HURST Registered Member

For anti-spyware, try SuperAntiSpyware...the free version is only on-demand, paid version is real-time.

Regarding to firewalls, you have to decide if you only want inbound protection or also outbound.

For inbound, you are good with windows built-in firewall. For outbound, you'll have to choose. My advice, read the firewall section of this forum, narrow down a list and then try them out, to choose the best for you. What is good for me may be bad for you. It depends on your's system's config.

Welome to Wilders by the way!

8. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

For spyware IMO SuperAntiSpy.Spysweeper Is Heavy bloat and wouldn't touch spyware doctor with a 10 ft pole,Third party Firewalls you really need to test with your system,some are more trouble then there worth.I like kerio for XP No version yet for vista.The only way to know is to trial them.

9. aliennode

OK No time to test really too busy every second of day on computer relying on you guys.

Just a thing you say SuperAntiSpy ??

Not SuperAntiSpyware.com

10. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

It's SuperAntiSpyware, and it's here ...

11. Dark Shadow

yes SuperAntiSpyware I meant my bad.

12. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

IIRC the firewall in Vista can be configured to control outbound, also.
    I find Comodo works well with Avast, along with Threatfire, but I'm on XP, so that may not be relevant.
    One thing I'd suggest is that it's probably better to use what's considered an "average" firewall that you know how to respond to, than a sooper dooper firewall that leaves you maybe selecting the wrong option.
    Which is probably partly why folk are suggesting you trial it yourself.
    Also, what may work very well on some installations may not on yours, and vice versa.

13. aliennode

Ok I just wonder bout Zone alarmo_O
    I remember the very early ones use to delete nearly everything or goo things on the computer.

14. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

As good as Zone Alarm and even easier,

Vista's internal Firewall with Vista Fire Wall Control (free util to allow outbound traffic, google for it)

15. aliennode

Hi I hve Vista home with firewall can you explain what you mean by firewall control what to o to set it correctly??

16. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

I tried Vista Firewall Control, but it doesn't allow you time to answer the request before the program times out. I have to restart the program to access the net after allowing it with V.F.C.

I have been testing the Sunbelt Personal Firewall beta with my Vista Laptop and it seems to work for my needs at the moment.

17. aliennode

MY SETUP is Avast anti virus
    SuperAntispyware
    Windows Vista firewall no a on thir parties

Is this good enougho_Oo_Oo_Oo_O?
    Thanks

18. Dark Shadow

vista firewall control Is a free version and pro version utility for download by sphinx.It is Small, light,an easy to control outbound only.By Default evey thing Is deny until you the user changes the rule.So example first time use, when you access IE or browser of choice, It will prompt wilth small pop up with options Allow,Deny,Etc.thats really all there is to it, know your rule of choice is set and it will not prompt again on the same outgoing.Meantime you leave the internal firewall on for Inbound protection.

19. aliennode

So I relly need this outbound protection then?

20. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Yes. And no. Most would recommend it.
    PC security is a bit like home security. The firewall represents the lock on the door. It will only open for people you invite in, or who have a legitimate reason to enter.
    If an "undesirable" is to somehow able to get in, say, by prising open a loose window (analogy maybe an unpatched application with a vulnerability) they then have access to the house. Or a part of the house. The burglar might then want to steal the TV, stereo, ps2, whiteware etc. Having a two way firewall is analogous to having a deadlock, one that requires a key to open from the inside. So if a burglar can get in, say, by breaking/prising a window, they then can't steal anything and get out through the door.
    OK, it's a total simplification, for illustrative purposes. Sorry if it sounds a bit juvenile.
    Basically, if you are malware free, and can pretty much guarantee you will remain malware free, (not 100% possible for most), an inbound only firewall is adequate. But if something gets in that shouldn't, the outbound control of the two way firewall is perhaps your last chance to control what that something leaves with. And should that happen, you would need to know the correct answer to the alert that will pop up.
    To answer your question, how much you need this security depends on how valuable the contents of the PC are. And even if you get good quality applications, you will need to learn a bit about how to use them.

21. aliennode

Is this the best one Vista Firewall control?
    Is this the only one for Vistao_O

22. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Try Comodo Firewall Pro (it's free, despite the name), or Online Armour.
    I don't know what the best one is for Vista. Nor any other OS, sorry.
    Those two are considered very good. They both have HIPS. (Behavior blockers.)
    There may well be other very good firewalls that work with Vista.
    You have to try them out, and choose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.