Which Security Software should I spend my money on?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Shad0w99, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Kaspersky. Quite simple actually.;)

2. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hello:

No scanner sw can guarantee 100% clean AFTER you are infected. That you can see for yourself since each time you ran a new AV it found a few more baddies.

So the only way you can get to 100% clean is by reinstalling your Operating System choosing to format the C partition while doing that. You then need to go to the vendor web site and update the os to current security level. Before doing any of this you need to save your user data on a new clean USB or dvd.

Then install your layered defence system as others have already described.

3. icr

icr Registered Member

Agree with you :)

BTW when did you changed your setup;) :p

4. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Paid software is not necesseraly better than free.

With a patched system, one of the well-known free antiviruses (avast! 5 Free, Avira 10 Personal, AVG Free 9.0, Panda Cloud Antivirus, Microsoft Security Essentials) and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and using your brains you got a great security setup. One thing you should realise is out of the box Windows 7 is way more secure than Windows XP (UAC, DEP, still in development / better support (XP is end-of-life: Microsoft will only make patches for known bugs), way better firewall, Windows Defender included, and disabled Autorun!).

I think there is few traditional security software which deserves to get pay for (in terms of: why pay for it when there are great free alternatives).

Anti-virus/suite: ESET and Kaspersky
    Behavioral layer: PrevX
    On-demand: Hitman Pro

5. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

Another vote for DefenseWall. Along with an on demand scanner like Avira, Avast or Hitman Pro and you will be good to go.

6. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

I agree totally. I was using avast 5 free, Pctools firewall plus and MBAM on my wife's laptop. It was fast, fairly silent and cheap. Can't really go wrong with that.

7. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Yup when on Windows XP you indeed can choose out of a bunch of great free firewalls (Outpost, Online Armor, Comodo and PC Tools) on Windows 7 there is no reason for a third-party firewall in my eyes.

8. NodKiller

NodKiller Registered Member

...but most of them are worse than xp's firewall.
    Definitely don't spend money on blacklisting softwares (I only use them for on-demand scanning), those years are over.

9. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

What are you referring to?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.