Which security prog. is preventing site opening?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Q Section, Oct 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

2. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    To everyone:
    A big thank you for all your assistance. We have just now found the problem. It is that if we try the main page as "www.customize.org" as found in Google or the links on the left side of the page as in "www.customize.org/list/rainmeter" it does not work but if we manually take out the "www's" and then then try it, we get any page we desire.
    Yes we already have the main programme and we were looking for some skins.

bigc73542 - which browser are you using? Apparently it does not have the www problem for some reason.

3. Notok

Notok Registered Member

You know, I've been noticing this kind of problem now and again, with or without changes to the local system. I've kind of been wondering if there haven't been routing issues going on somewhere..

4. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

So have I, Notok, I thought it was a glitch in my system. Glad to know it is not, but not happy to "not" know what it is!

Is there a way to test all that out? Out of curiousity of course? :)

5. Notok

Notok Registered Member

You could do a traceroute to find out where the signal is stopping: start > run: cmd [enter] then type "tracert yahoo.com" (or whatever site you're going to, you don't need the www), this shows you all the computers your request has to be sent through to retrieve a webpage.. if you didn't know about that before it can explain a lot of things. It only takes one of the many stops between you and the site to break a connection, a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link, yada yada.

The issue has been so sporadic with me, though, that you'd probably have to get the timing just right.. most of the time I can just hit 'reload' and it'll come up just fine o_O

6. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

Like I just tried to reply on another thread, using post reply, instead of quick reply - I kept getting www. limpysquirrel.com, after a couple of other places I know I have never been to, anything but, wilders'. I gave up! Too Tedious!

I thought it was the weather earlier today, lightening and TV stations going off here and there this afternoon, but, we forget that all these "waves" we ride to communicate are not infallible, either.

So, maybe it was the lunar eclipseo_O Works for me, at least for tonite! :D

Thanks for the traceroute idea, Notok!

7. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

this does not work; http://www.customize.org/list/rainmeter

You have to get rid or the "WWW" http://customize.org/list/rainmeter

8. Houston There Is A problem!!!

Well Boys and Girls.....it appears there is an issue upon us......

lyncknot "all" the posted links work well for me......however, that does not same to be the case for you and others.....SO WHY NOT!!!!
    Today I deliberately surfed around........trying to duplicate the issue.....

1> Google is imo defintely attemping to force people to use its translator......,.I kept getting german and spanish search results.....an google knows the search is in the U.S.......

2) other people are experiencing the same issues listed here.....on many differant websites.....

so why is it I can use ALL the links posted....an others can't......BigC as well as Ron was able to use ALL the posted links........an there is absolute no question that our system are not the same...not even the same OS

oh by the way....didn't you guys notice the Trace Route that was posted on page oneo_O

These days I don't use the internet enough to be concerned about whats going on.....its very meaningless to me...other than just being curious......but those using the internet should be concerned......obviously something is not right

9. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

On second thought..there may be nothing to this....

10. Q Section

To reiterate -
    The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority has no record of http://www.customize.org
    They do have a record for http://customize.org
    Also whois.publicinterestregistry.net has the same record for both. Perhaps when Google's spider originally searched it found the address with the www's but maybe the website changed their address in the meantime to not have the www.

11. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

That's odd....because I can tracert to www customize org and also have no problem what so ever in reaching the URL www customize org via IE.

Something's amiss o_O

C:\WINDOWS>tracert www.customize.org
    Tracing route to www.customize.org [66.98.194.28]

C:\WINDOWS>tracert customize.org
    Tracing route to customize.org [66.98.194.28]

Also....that IP(66.98.194.28)....is whois registered to ev1.net ?

Result for 66.98.194.28
    [whois.arin.net]

OrgName: Everyones Internet, Inc.
    OrgID: EVRY
    Address: 2600 Southwest Freeway
    Address: Suite 500
    City: Houston
    StateProv: TX
    PostalCode: 77098

and via Steve Gibsons ID serve program:
    Initiating server query ...
    Looking up the domain name for IP: 66.98.194.28
    The domain name for the IP address is: ev1s-66-98-194-28.ev1servers.net

Last edited: Oct 28, 2004
  12. Q Section

After further checking we believe the people at customize.org changed servers/hosting companies and all the DNS servers are not updated yet. Probably we will not see any problems at all in about 72 hours or less.

Just an intelligent guess.

13. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

DNS server update issue. http://www.customize.org/ - now works for me.**edit - well, sort of - all I get is the header.**edit - there it is - it took a while

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.