Which search engine do you normally use?

Discussion in 'polls' started by acr1965, Feb 19, 2012.

?

Which search engine do you use most often?

1. Ask

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Baidu

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Bing

9 vote(s)
    5.6%
  4. Blekko

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  5. Clusty / Yippy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Dogpile

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  7. DuckDuckGo

23 vote(s)
    14.4%
  8. Google

102 vote(s)
    63.8%
  9. Ixquick

17 vote(s)
    10.6%
  10. MetaCrawler

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. WebCrawler

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Yahoo

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  13. Other

5 vote(s)
    3.1%
  14. none - don't use search engines

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Google SSL of course, like if there was anything else usable. :D

2. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

It looks like Google is going to win this one. ;)

3. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

The ones that could use that information against me (if there were any reason to do so, there isn't but you know what I mean) have access to it anyway. So unfortunately SSL doesn't make a difference there. :(

4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Google remains for me the absolute most efficient & well-ordered massively equipped Search Engine our internet will ever have. For me since Windows 98 began.

Try them all then compare yourself. :thumb:

5. trismegistos

trismegistos Registered Member

For many years, google via scroogle.

Since scroogle is dead, I do my googling via soople proxied.

6. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Voted ;) because it gives me the results I need

7. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Google Images is probably the best image search engine, but IMHO I don't find any real differences in overall search results between DDG, Google or Start Page (Ixquick). DDG & SP are technically search aggregators though, I believe, in which case I can't see why they would be inferior to Google as they often utilise Google results. I don't see much difference in overall results with Bing either, although I concede that Google Maps is better than Bing Maps.

I'm pretty sure that using Google is just a force of habit with most people.

8. Daveski17

I think that Google has the edge on Bing/Yahoo, but I don't find any difference between Google & DDG or Start Page. Neither DDG or Start Page bubble track me. You can't say that about Google!

9. Saint Satin Stain

Saint Satin Stain Registered Member

Huntsville, AL and Greenwich Village, NYC
    I use Ixquick as default on most of my browsers, but SSL Google is one of the home pages on SeaMonkey, but Ixquick is the default. Go to Ixquick and see why I chose it.

10. Daveski17

I use Start Page, which is actually Ixquick! Ixquick also own the Starting Page name as well. All three are the same page. It is a good search engine though, & it addresses privacy concerns such as bubble tracked.

11. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I like StartingPage. I wish the searches had more features. But one thing I like in particular about startingpage is that my search settings can be saved as a url instead of a cookie. Then I can just bookmark the url as my homepage.

12. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thanks. I did check out Ixquick. Early opinion is it's ok, but the "Depth" of resources is what drives many people's interest as regards Search engines in much the same way that one or (students) on average always prefer a "Larger" Library of books full of variety to assist them better in pooling the most information they can tap into to help them in their studies compared to a smaller pool to draw from.

As per the concern of "bubble" tracking, that is a personal choice but only IMO the tracking that Google employs right now is not that much of a problem compared to what it offers in useful end-user information.

But i completely understand that genuine concern and don't dismiss in any way that it is a legitimate concern for some who rightly disapprove of that practice.

13. Daveski17

Yes, security & privacy are a priority for them. :thumb:

14. Daveski17

Ixquick is enhanced by Google, so I don't see why anyone would prefer Google as a search engine. I get virtually the same results from both.

I think that this is a bit too credulous, have a gander (look) at this page. ;)

15. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I find their bubble really effective. When I search for something, I want to find it and it's usually among the first few hits.

16. Daveski17

It's not their bubble that's effective! ;) I get the same hits using Start Page or DDG & I don't get bubbled. :eek:

17. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I don't believe you. Sorry.

18. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

As i already mentioned, it's a legit concern and Google (if legally possible) should rather index categories IMO and not try to database track users browsing habits in anyway whatsoever.

As for as hacking information, you express the VERY concern i been sounding off for years as pertains to certain AntiSpyware entities when they began fashioning "Live" on-line monitoring. Can you imagine what would happen if your "live cloud" virus/spyware source was hacked and installed instead some new generation of rootkits and other malicious entries onto users systems unawares?

Point taken.

19. Daveski17

o_O You don't believe the 'bubble' doesn't give search results, or that I get the same results with Start Page or DDG? o_O

20. Daveski17

Yes, but they do.

Now, that would indeed be a nightmare scenario, although it is hypothetical. However, there is nothing hypothetical about Google actually bubble tracking end users. Eventually using Google's search engine you will find that you are being specifically targeted depending on what information Google has of yours.

If you don't mind that, OK. It kinda disturbs me a bit though, so I use alternative engines that will utilise Google results, but don't record my IP address or 'bubble' me.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  21. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

This is what I wrote I don't believe:
    "It's not their bubble that's effective! I get the same hits using Start Page or DDG & I don't get bubbled."

Of course, given your proclivity for inflicting irony, sarcasm, and other tortures on people who aren't as skilled in "English", it's entirely possible that I just don't understand :(

The advantage of signing up is to get bubbled and then get different hits from what one would get without signing up. At least that's how I look at it.

I gave an example over here but it got all of two views, both mine I suspect :( :( :(

22. Daveski17

Ermm ...

OK, sorry about that, it's probably a misunderstanding of fundamental top-down semiotic decoding. ;) :D

Ah, now I see what you are trying to say. Although, as I understand it, Google can track you just from your IP address, whether you are logged in or not. I just don't see the need for this & I am worried about just how any information gleaned from searches I can do with Google could be utilised. Have a *butcher's at this page for instance. And especially what DDG states here.

*Butcher's (hook) = look ;)

I don't see the 'bubbling' as that advantageous, especially as it is more for Google's information gathering than for my convenience. In which case, an engine that doesn't bubble me but can utilise Google results seems like a pragmatic solution to the problem.

I still maintain that most people who predominantly use Google, are doing it by habit. After all, it is better than Bing/Yahoo! which is the only real non-aggregator alternative. Although I suspect every time I use Google Earth or Maps I am being surreptitiously tracked in some way.

23. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Bing and Googel in that order....

24. x942

x942 Guest

DDG and google. I use DDG for almost all searches. Not just for privacy though, I like some of their features like the instant info on the top of the page which pulls excerpts from Wikipedia and such. I also like how much faster it loads result and that it works well with javascript off. (Google can have a freak out sometimes when javascript is off).

I use google for Gmail, maps and Android Market/Google Play exclusively and for nothing else, no searching on google any more.

25. shakethebabyass

shakethebabyass Registered Member

I absolutely love BING! It really amazes me. I use it on my computers and my iphone.

Now, there will be times when I have to turn to bloated ole Google but for the most part I use Bing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.