Which router brand should I choose?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Follower, Jul 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Sorry for joining late.

Since we are still in 11n Draft, meaning there is no real standard yet :(, to ensure minimum compatibility issues, I recommend using the same brand throughout the wireless side of your network (Ethernet compatibility is not an issue, just wireless). If you like the 615, I would consider the D-Link DIR-655 because it has a USB port that can be used as print server. Using a print server is best because (1) the printer does not have to be tethered to a computer that must be up and running for others to print, (2) the printer can be centrally located, off your desk, and (3) Everyone can print at the same time and the server will sort it out, without pulling resources from a host computer. If your printer is already network ready, this may not be an issue.

The 655 also support Gigabit networks, the 615 does not. This limits you to 10/100 networking, which is phasing out as Gb networks phase in. So to future proof your network, I recommend getting 10/100/1000 now, even if your computers are not ready for it. It is most likely your next PC will be.

2. mofox

mofox Registered Member

D-Link routers are my brand of choice.

I've had about 11 in my time and they have always been good.

Netgear are reliable too.

3. Follower

Follower Guest

I bought D-Link, and it seems to work fine.
    Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.