which real-time scanners and HIPS do you recommend?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by iceni60, Apr 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quadrophonic

quadrophonic Registered Member

Wow! You must have that new Intel octocorex2 processor to run that 2nd paragraph in resident startup! :D

Don't you think running Boclean, Spyware Terminator, and Spyware Guard in addition to the Avast shields is a little bit much? I know the Avast shields alone used to slow down page rendering on my computer. I also thought Spyware Guard, because it hasn't been updated in several years, is somewhat
    obsolete.

2. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Hi quadrophonic.
    Yeah, it possibly is more than required, some of 'em almost certainly overlap, by how much, and they're relative abilities/definitions I've no idea. (Which is partly why I do it.) (On the other hand, if ST and Boclean get into a tussle over something that might not be so great :ouch: )
    (Anyone's thoughts on that appreciated!)
    SpywareGuard doesn't use much.Hasn't been updated in over a year either, might uninstall it. Never noticed any significant slowdown with Avast, 5 shields (out of seven) enabled.
    The machine is XP home, and AMD64 3500+, with a gig of RAM. A few unnecessary services disabled. Runs pretty darn good.

Thinking about it a bit more, I think I will turn Boclean off, and ditch SG. Been free of malware ever since installing ST.

3. coldplay

coldplay Registered Member

antivir or AVS , + prevx1 or SSM

4. quadrophonic

quadrophonic Registered Member

I've been running Spyware Terminator, although it hasn't caught anything other than new programs I've installed. That could be partly because I mainly use Firefox and watch Site Advisor's warnings very closely.

I'm not exactly clear whether Boclean is closer to Spyware Terminator or WinPatrol as a security add-on. The goes for SSM. SSM's site really doesn't explain that much and I still can't find a comparison on there regarding SSM free vs. SSM Pay. Site Advisor doesn't even have a rating for this yet:

http://www.syssafety.com/

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

You might compare the signatures of BOClean with the signatures of Spyware Terminator one by one.
    Each time you find a signature of BOClean in the signature list of Spyware Terminator, you remove it from the signature list of BOClean.
    Once you are finished, you know exactly which signatures of BOClean aren't detected by Spyware Terminator.

There are only two possibilites :
    1. The signature list of BOClean is empty by removal and that means you can ditch BOClean and keep Spyware Terminator.
    2. The signature list of BOClean is not empty by removal and that means you have to keep BOClean AND Spyware Terminator.

It's the only way to be sure and it's better than guessing. :)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  6. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Talking about SSM all the time, and we forget a good HIPS program right next door, GSS: AppDefend and RegDefend. Much more intuitive than SSM, i tried the other day, and appreciated it. AppDefend is more like PG than SSM, in that you actually get it.

7. windpray

windpray Registered Member

May be you can try the EQ a free hips software comes from china.If you have any questions.Please report it to the website,the author will reply you quickly.

8. interact

interact Registered Member

I was using BOClean and AntiVir but I have been testing the latest beta of DriveSentry v3 which has HIPS, whitelisting and signature based detection for over 150,000 viruses.

More info here -> http://www.drivesentry.com/news.php?view_id=21

~interact

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.