which proxomitron filters do you recommend?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by iceni60, Sep 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, i've decided to start using Proxomitron again. i have got used to Privoxy now, but it's not as great as Proxo :cool:

at the moment i only have Kye-U's filters, but think even he uses, at least, some extra filters on top of his set, if not maybe something else altogether o_O maybe i'm wrong, but that's what i remember.

i just wanted to ask which filters everyone uses? and what else have you added to the set? i just added this googlebot filter below, i'll leave it here so if i start using something else i can import it - i opened Proxo and selected header, then i highlighted one of the filters, right-clicked and told it to import the filter from my clipboard. that's what i think i did, i can't check atm because i'm having abit of a problem - Proxo won't open :oops: i've taken a screenshot :eek:

[HTTP headers]
    In = FALSE
    Out = TRUE
    Key = "User-Agent: Spoof Googlebot (Out)"
    Match = "*"
    Replace = "Googlebot/2.1 (+http://www.googlebot.com/bot.html)"

Attached Files:

2. Seishin

Seishin Registered Member

3. dog

dog Guest

4. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I must agree that Sidikis filter set is by far the best. However, I also have Kye-us expolit filters merged as well. There are a couple filters that I either created or modified that are in there as well. I think it's the best in part because of the toggle buttons, which are fantastic. I too used to use Grypens filter set; which is just a reworked JD5000 set, but Sidikis is good, real good. No need to switch ever again. PM me if you want my filter set (it'll have to be my proxo directory)

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks for the help :) i'm going to try them both out. do you know if one might be better for Linux? i mainly use Opera.

i'd like to be able to anonymise google cookies too. i do have a bookmarket which sets the PREF=ID to zeros, which is the same thing, but i have to do it manually (it's only one mouse click on the toolbar though), so i only do it every couple of days. i use scroogle too :cool:

n8chavez, do you know which filters make your set different? is it a couple of extra filters merged with two sets? i remember Kye-U saying some people have had problems merging certain sets. i can't remember which though.

i'm going to get ProxoFilterSet-Grypen20060720.exe from this link
    http://www.users.on.net/~grypen/Downloads/?C=M;O=D

i already have the OpenSSL DLLs, should i get SSLPack-Grypen20051203.exe too, or are they them same thing? also do i need to get a new proxcert? mine has this on the first few lines
    i download this too - prox-config-sidki-2006-09-03.zip

i haven't done anything yet, i'll have to read the READMEs first :(

i'm going to tidy my bedroom, then install the sets :D BTW after a reboot my Proxo started working again, but my new filter disappeared.

BTW again, the googlebot user agent can be very useful. i wanted to browse a forum the other day, but it didn't allow guests and wasn't letting new members join; the only way i could see the forums was by using a google cache bookmarklet :'( if i had the googlebot UA i would have been fine :cool: i'm not sure if i should be saying that o_O although it's perfectly legal!

6. Shotwick

Shotwick Suspended Member

Sidki :thumb: The best there is ! :cool:

7. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I personally preferred Kye-U filters, but both Sidki and Grypen are ok.
    Mrk

8. dog

dog Guest

Grypen's includes Kye-U's filters (alerts are disabled) ... P2k's css toolbar is also great and included (it's disabled by default - so you'll have to enable it) - Sidki's filer set is also very good. Kye-U's filters are great but they should be used in conjunction with another set, as there focus is on exploits -- while the other packs will filter other web annoyances.

9. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Did you remember to click the "save" button after you imported that filter? I have forgotten several times (I have filters for dslreports that I have imported) and couldn't figure out why the filter disappeared. Duh.

I second Sidki's filters. I loved JD's but I had problems with Grypen's but that was over a year ago so I have no idea how they would be today. After I had problems, I tried Sidki's and I liked his so well that I have stayed with them. The toggles are great and the timer has been improved in this latest set. Anyhow, you should try both and which ever works best for you and you feel the most comfortable with is the set you should choose. They are both excellent. We users are very blessed to have two persons working hard on filter sets. It takes a lot of time and effort and I thank my lucky stars that there are these great sets out there and that we also have the icing on the cake with Kye'U's that we can add to either set.

And, of course, as always, I give thanks to Scott for this wonderful, crazy application that I couldn't do without. May he rest in peace.

10. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

11. jp10558

jp10558 Registered Member

I was going to mention my filterset mod, but someone already did!

It's strayed away from Grypen's a little, but is still firmly grounded in JDs old set.

That said, I might have to give sidiki's set a try sometime, if I can figure out how to import the google mods, and anything it doesn't catch by itself.

Someday, when I have a lot of time, I'll look into it.

Oh, the hoster for my filterset recently changed to Opera unfriendly (which makes me not happy at all) so to download use IE or whatever. I'll try and get a chance to upload it to the Opera blogspace soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.