Which program to use?

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by 357mag, Aug 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 357mag

357mag Registered Member

I'm mostly interested in preventing my browser from being hijacked. Should I use Spyware Guard or Spyware Blaster?

2. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Howdy there, and welcome to Wilders!

Have you read this and this?

I am guessing you might have; but keep in mind that while SpywareGuard is probably best at preventing hijacking, the other anti-spyware capabilities of SpywareBlaster are not to be underestimated; particularly since SWB uses absolutely no system resources since it does not run in the background to do its work!

Anyway, both are free and I give you my personal guarantee that neither is a pain to remove should you feel there is no need for the particular application. try 'em both - then watch your spyware scanners such as ad-aware and Spybot S&D wonder where 95% (just my guessing estimate) of the spyware has gone ;-)

3. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Howdy there 357mag...[used to own a couple of those plus some other heavy duty fire power when I was Pistol shooting :D ]

Yep, you will find as Detox stated, that a vast majority of users in here run the 2 together. They actually work hand in hand, and as Detox says, SWB does not have to be running, even in background, as once you set its killbits, it's done apart from checking for updates, every now and then.

TAS

4. bathompson

bathompson Guest

This is the very best explanation I have ever seen for what Spyware Blaster does.

Posted by: lostcowboy
    In reply to: wccawa who wrote msg# 5063 Date:8/28/2004 4:54:04 AM
    Post #of 5069

Hi wccawa, I think you misunderstand what Spywareblaster does! it does not look for adware.spyware or viruses! What it does is set a kill bit! that tells the activex program not to install, As it is already there. It is like when a insurance salesman comes to your door, you look out the window real quick and see what company he is from, then when you open up the door, you tell him that you just bought some from his company last week. So he turns around and goes after some other sucker. You lied to him. Here is another way to look at it, lets say in order to keep costs down each insurance company has a policy, when ever a salesman sells some insurance he puts a sign in your front yard that says this house bought insurance from us, don't stop here again! You being the smart man that you are, decide if you make your own sign and put it in the front yard, the insurance man won't stop and try to sell you some insurance. This work's so well that every time you hear that there is a new insurance company in town you make up a new sign and put it in the front yard. you now have thousands of signs in your yard! In this case the part of the yard that Spywareblaster is sticking signs is in the registry,at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\internet explorer\activex compatibilityYou can use regedit to look in that key and see all the signs.

The problem is with pestpatrol hitting on the sign! Bruce had pestpatrol hitting on a coolwebsearch sign a while back something which started with google if I remember right. He sent them a email explaining that it was hitting on Spywareblaster kill bit, and they fixed it in the next version. Right now you have a conflicts between the two programs. Spywareblaster wants the kill bit set, and pestpatrol sees that there is a key set, but does not check to see that it is the kill bit, and wants to remove it. However if you let pestpatrol remove it when twain-tech drives by he will stop and come knocking at your door. What you need to do is have pestpatrol leave it alone. If you all of a sudden start to get popup ads, then you know you really have something, and you can have pestpatrol clean everything. But don't worry about it now. I would send a email to pestpatrol. Spywareblaster currently sets kill bits and blocks cookies, and puts web sites in IE's restricted zone, it is covering 3132 items as of this morning. Most of that is with signs stuck in the registry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.