which program do I need? Spy-xxxx?

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by mr_6string, Mar 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr_6string

mr_6string Registered Member

o_OI am somewhat confused by all the anti spyware programs available. I have been using Spybot S&D, and I think I understand what that does... it scans and cleans existing spyware from harddrive.

THen I came accross Spyware Blaster. I read the description and thought that if I installed this, after having cleaned my harddrive using Spybot first, then I would no longer have a need for Spybot, as Spyware Blaster would protect my computer from getting contaminated with spyware. Then I found Browser Hijack Blaster. Okay, now I am just a little confused. What is the difference? I thought spyware Blaster also protected my browser from being hijacked. Should I be using all 3 programs (or more)? Is that BHB protects in realtime, where as Spyware Blaster doesn't?

Slightly confused,
    mr_6string

2. claire

claire Guest

Hi mr_6string

You'd rather use Spybot+spywareblaster :)

3. mr_6string

Thank you for your reply. If it isn't too much trouble, can you or someone explain why I should just use Spybot and Spyware Blaster and not bother with Browser Hijack Blaster? What is the major difference between BHB and Spyware Blaster?

4. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi mr_6string,

I moved your question to this forum so Javacool can explain the differences in detail.
    Claire did have a good point though in advising to use preventive and cleaning software.

Regards,

Pieter

5. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Some short descriptions:

SpywareBlaster doesn't need to be run in real-time. Basically, it changes various system settings to block ActiveX based spyware.

Browser Hijack Blaster can prevent ANY program from changing your homepage, searchpage, etc. If any program (whether ActiveX based, spyware, or neither) attempts to change various browser settings, you will be alerted immediately, and presented with the opportunity to remove the changes. BHB runs in the background.

SpywareGuard is another anti-spyware program - it provides real-time scanning of all EXE and CAB files (right before they are opened or executed), and can block execution/opening of those files if spyware is detected. It does run in the background, but uses little memory, and provides another layer of protection.

Having all three certainly doesn't hurt, but if I had to suggest two I would point out SpywareBlaster (which you already have - remember to keep it updated!) and SpywareGuard.

It is also important to note that you certainly should NOT get rid of Spybot S & D - SpywareBlaster can protect against known ActiveX-based spyware only. SpywareGuard does use some heuristic detection, and is able to detect many covered threats if they mutate (or even if the code is changed drastically) but again, it is very useful to have Spybot if something manages to get past the protection (I will never claim that the protection methods of SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard are 100% foolproof - they aren't...nothing is - but I do make an effort to ensure they increase your system security significantly).

I hope this clears some things up. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

6. mr_6string

Thank you very much for clearing that up. But.. what about this; couldn't I just configure a firewall to block all of these ports, so that I only have the few standard ones open (eg. 80, 23, 21)?

7. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

8. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

:DHi mr_6string. I have Spybot, SpywareGuard, BHB, and Spyware Blaster. I'm a person who has always that too much protection is always better than not enough. As far as whether or not to keep BHB:
    1. It's FREE. Although I know Javacool would appreciate a Donation for all of his hard work. ;)
    2. I had a situation a few months ago (before I found BHB) where something was periodically changing my browser settings and would keep me from gaining access to "unsecure web sites". I would have to run GoBack to the last time it was my browser was working (at least 3 times a week) to view these sites.
    3. After installing BHB, all of the browser problems that I had dissapeared and have not returned. :D
    I still don't know what was causing this. I didn't have any bugs of any kind on my system. As far as I am concerned, BHB has made my life a lot easier and less stressful computerwise. Javacool's software is the least problematic that I have ever seen, and seems to get along very well with all other software. :D If I were in your shoes, I'd keep BHB and all of the others if your machine will handle them. Keep an eye on Javacool's software developments. I'm sure from past history, even greater things are yet to come. :D :D
    Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.