Which Printer: Canon or Epson?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by mrhero, Oct 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have been planning to buy the HP 3200, but since I have not I can still go to something else.
    I currently have a Dell, which is a Lexmark I think, and do not like it. I make greeting cards, and don't think the Dell does a good job of printing what I see on the screen.

I did look at a Canon at Best Buy, and they printed a picture from a digital camera, and then the HP. The HP was better, but I am not sure if the adjustments were optimum for the Canon. I have not used either the Canon or Epson.

Any thoughts?
    Jerry

2. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Of the two particular models linked in the first post,I'd take the Canon.
    But at that price range they may both be good choices.Look for reviews online.

The cheap Epson that I had was very cheap.I want to say around $40.

Jerry M,
    It may also depend to some degree what camera software you are using.
    I have Kodak Easy Share software.Somehow my photos generally come out darker in print than they do on screen.Particularly in-door photos.I have to edit most photos before printing.

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, Tester.
    The test at BB was from a camera, and I do want good quality for that. However, my first need is for a printer that will do a good job reproducing what I see on the screen

I have a couple of Card Making programs. One is Hallmark. Sometimes I make a card, it looks good on the screen, but when I print it the colors are washed out. That is not in all cases, but almost never is it as good as on the screen.

I also need a scanner and copier, but do not need a fax. I realize that a separate scanner might be better, but I do not want to give up the space on my desk for a separate one.

I appreciate the help.
    Regards,
    Jerry

4. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=856924&postcount=21

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi FastGame,

Yes, I wondered about that, and one reason was that two HPs did not give the same results even though they were the same except the 3200 has a scanner and copier.

Regards,
    Jerry

6. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Hi Jerry-

I use epson, but canon is very good too. I just mainly wanted to say that printing results as you describe, might possibly be due to your photo editing app using a wrong color profile. I only know photoshop, but there are some considerations:

Workspace in photoshop: your monitor profile, or some adobe color profile?
    File saved in: Your workspace profile, adobe profile, no profile saved?
    Printing: Generally it is smart enough to use your printers color profile.
    Opening Files containing embedded color profiles: Profiles are disguarded, profiles are used, profiles are replaced?

Here's a little test: If you have worked on and saved a picture in your photo editor, take it and use it as wallpaper. now open the image in photoshop, or whatever. Does it have the same coloring as on the desktop. If not, chances are your problem is one of color management.

Or...you could just mean the ink does look as good - entirely possible!

-HandsOff

7. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

My choice would be Canon. I've attached a picture of a modded Canon printer, I made such a mod for my girlfriend too (since she started a home office and this way it's cheaper printing then using a color laser).

--edit--
    Why I choose for Canon is because their products are always well preforming, cheap and easy to refill. The Canon printer also works excellent under Linux, how different was that with my Brother Laser at work. I would recommend you to shop around and see what's cheaper at the long term. If you want to print your digital images, it's better to use a printing service from Kodak or Fuji-film (cheaper and the pictures have a longer life-time).

Attached Files:

8. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

That printer really looks like a cannon. :)

9. HandsOff

I just thought I'd throw in the view that many people including myself have that Epson cheats you out of the ink that you buy from them. They make your printer stop printing when one color runs out (instead of just continuing using the other colors) And their ink monitor always shows you out of ink when there still seems to be plenty of ink in the cartridges. I've had three, and the have all done this. Picture quality wise most people believe Epson are the best. In the end, ripping off their loyal customers is going to cost them.

And yes, to anyone wondering, I have cut open the cartridges and checked, and , yes, I still see plenty of ink in them. I'm going to start saving the ink. maybe I can rig up something like what you have!

-HandsOff

Attached Files:

• ink.jpg
      ink.jpg
      File size:
      81.8 KB
      Views:
  10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thanks for this info i wondered when one of my four ink cartridges ink went all four were empty according to status manager.

lodore

11. strangequark

strangequark Registered Member

guess what, Canon people are going to say Canon is best and Epson people are going Epson is best, by the way Canon is better :cautious:
    I suggest you go somewhere that sells both and ask a salesperson to give you a demonstration of both in action, preferably one of your own images, that way you'll be getting the one that pleases you. One thing to keep in mind is Canon ink cartridges are normally cheaper.

12. HandsOff

Well, actually, my approach was a little different. If I want to know which printer is best I ask photographers and graphic artists. In my unscientific (but better than scientific) survey and analysis, Epson is the dominant choice of people that know the difference between a good printout and a bad one. A good person to ask would probably be a graphics instructor on a collage campus. Students are always on the cutting edge, and the instructors are one step ahead of them. I've heard more than one person in the printing business that likes Canon. I don't consider them as criticle as graphic artists though. I'll stick with Epson, though they are definitely a little shady in some ways.

-HandsOff

13. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

My Epson I purchased in 96 had a two year warranty and was still working in 200x. Can't really remember the sequence of events, however, I ended up with a CX4600. Worse printer ever made. First one failed right out of the box, so they send me a replacement and it failed in 14 months. Customer service resolution was a special price on a replacement that was more than a new one at several online sites like Newegg. All the posts about the ink are true! It ate ink like you would not believe. Supposedly I signed up for a $40 credit, the terms of a class action suit against Epson and their ongoing ink ripoff, but haven't seen a dime. My little Canon at work seemed indestructible so three months ago I purchased a Canon MP460. Love it, great on ink and I purchased some spares and indeed they are much less than Epson. And no, I am not an Epson or Canon guy, just a consumer who happened to have a bad experience with Epson!

14. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

You are 100% correct...I'm glad you pointed this fact out (I was going to if you hadn't!) I had the same experience and will never go with Epson again.

Regards,
    Toby

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

agreed and now my epson broke because some solitaire pieces fell in the printer. i am now seeking a replacment

16. HandsOff

I should point out that there are alternative ink cartridges that can be used with an epson printer. The qualities of these inks runs from rediculously bad, to even better than epson's. The cost ranges from dirt cheap to even more expensive than epson. I made the mistake of trying the cheapest. Oh, it printed just fine. However, the colors were not even close to looking right. I've heard of a supposedly really good ink for Epson's at about a third of the price but will only recommend after using third party ink. Too many people are oblivious to quality. I'll have to see with my own eyes!

Also, you might want to check out:

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/kits/epson/K89
    for $9.99

The above kit is something that cleans the clogged nozzles. I'm pretty sure that is almost always the problem when epson ink jet printers stop working.

NOTE: Epson printers are particularly bad about clogging up if not used regularly. Sadly, my printer sits gathering dust because it swills down ink so fast I am out of ink again! The money epson saves cheating us on ink they will pay in warantee repairs do to the printers being inactive and out of ink when they should still be half full!

-HandsOff

17. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I finally settled on a Canon iP6600D. I was looking at the Epson R800 but it has a CD label printer that I will never use. The Canon is definately a photo printer and not geared to text printing. The text printing is fine, but not fast. The photos are stunning. Just remember if the photo is sharp the print will be sharp. If you screw up the picture sharpness don't expect a sharp print. The ink tanks are about $14 each and there are 6. My old business HP printer had a color tank and a black tank. The 2 of them cost about $90 every 5 months. If you figure it out the 6 Canon tanks cost about the same.

18. HandsOff

Canon iP6600D seems to be a well regarded printer! I'm considering going to a laser printer next time just for the economy. I don't print out much any more due to the high ink cost, and always running out of ink! Sort of defeats the purpose of having a printer.

-HandsOff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.