Which personal firewall do you like the best ?

Discussion in 'polls' started by gkweb, Dec 10, 2003.

?

Which personal firewall do you like the best ?

1. Zone Alarm

68 vote(s)
    22.9%
  2. Outpost

75 vote(s)
    25.3%
  3. Kerio

29 vote(s)
    9.8%
  4. Look'n'Stop

33 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. Norton Personal Firewall

4 vote(s)
    1.3%
  6. Sygate

43 vote(s)
    14.5%
  7. i like many, i don't know

10 vote(s)
    3.4%
  8. other firewall

35 vote(s)
    11.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

I know my post will probably be moved to the poll area, it will be surely his place this time, but i would want to gather as many responses as possible to include statistics on my website ( i will include the link of this thread on it).

Already existing poll on this subject doesn't have all the options i would like.

Time to poll now :)

EDIT : if you use one of this firewall but the free version, i think you can vote for the Pro version, it should keep fair statistics.

EDIT2 : Poll adjusted to remove "Pro" versus other versions. Please pick the brand regardless of using Pro or other versions.

2. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

I voted other, because I use Sygate free 5.5, and its by far my favorite, I've tried Outpost free, and ZoneAlarm free, didnt like them, I like Sygates setup so it can be like Zonealarm, take less resource, AND STILL be able to have some rules.

3. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

I replied 'other' for TinyFirewall but once LnS includes application rules (due shortly) I might just have to change to that :D

4. gkweb

The reason for what i doesn't include the free versions is that there isn't enough option (limit is :cool:.

So may be you can vote for the Pro version of your firewall :)

5. rerun2

rerun2 Registered Member

Having the look 'n' stop forum hosted at Wilders (not that this is a bad thing at all) may cause some bias in your poll if you plan to use statistics for your site. Many people from other forums have never even heard of look 'n' stop.

Having said that, my choice is LnS :D

The support is great, and it offers great flexibility (which should even be greater with the addition to app rules which Dan Perez mentioned) whether you are a newbie or advanced user.

6. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

ZoneAlarm Pro because I like high security without having to worry about pre-configured rules. I can still make rules if I need to. But knowing how I am with firewalls, this could change. :D

7. gkweb

@rerun 2
    I don't think, some people reading the "other firewall" area like others firewall than Look'nStop.
    Moreover, when i'll post the new page on my site, guest will be invited to come here, register, and poll too, so i think all is fine :)

8. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

Why OutPost Ofcourse!!! :D

9. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I'm a big Sygate fan :D

I'm no firewall expert, so I like the "application" ability along with the capability to create advanced rules if I learn of any that may be needed.

It also does a good job of "holding on" to programs while waiting for my response as to whether said program should have internet access or not without crashing that program.

All this said, my opinion probably doesn't mean a whole lot since ZA was my first firewall ever and Sygate my second ;)

10. octogen

octogen Registered Member

Kerio all the way, Baby! :D

11. BWMerlin

BWMerlin Registered Member

Tried, ZA, was good 4 a neebe like me, then tried outpost, couldnt figure out how to edit my rules once they were made. Using sygate and love it, its like a mix of ZA and outpost in that is primarily and app based firewall but can also be a rule base and a mix and match of the 2. It has the best of both worlds.

12. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

At the present I am useing BlackIce internet security. It seems to be doing a pretty good job :)

13. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I now use OP so I voted for it -- only fair. When/if I change to something else, it will probably be L'n'S because it has the best marks in reviews I've seen.

14. sir_carew

sir_carew Registered Member

Hi,
    The most firewall have good thing:
    I like many Sygate Firewall PRO, because it have excellent things like IDS, Automatically block IP of..., and it use low resources, and the logs are easy to understand, but Sygate not block pop-up, cookies, Web bugs, etc.
    ZA Pro is another firewall that I like much, it interface is easy and very friendly to understand, block pop-up, web bug, cookies, etc, provide best outbound protection than Sygate, for example ZA pro have a "Open process" option for sophisticated trojans, etc. But Za uses many resources and make the start of windows very slow.
    Outpost is a good firewall, easy GUI, the gui are available in many languajes, and the plug-ins are excellent and easy to use.
    Kerio have excellent and easy to understand logs, in my opinion the best logs.
    Kaspersky Anti-Hacker, I don't like it, I think that is a poor firewall, not provide DLL injection protection, the IDS is very incomplete, the logs are average, not have password protection options, no auto update, the price is too expensive for the class of firewall that is, no provide pop-up, cookie, and web bug protection, in others words: it's a g@rb@ge.

15. GoonMan

GoonMan Registered Member

Out Post Pro V2! :D

16. gkweb

up

I just remembers to readers that results from this poll will be used on my website, it's a long term poll not a temporary one, so if you want to be heard for a long time, poll here and now, thx :)

17. musicman

musicman Registered Member

For my pers use I have 8Signs Firewall on my pc. I have tried them all, and each one in their own right has good qualities. Its a matter of pers taste as to what your needs are. 8Signs is a rock solid firewall...hands on application. Its the one for me :D

18. JayK

JayK Poster

I think for many of them there's a big difference between the pro and free versions.

For example, I think ZA free sucks. But ZAP is okay. Dont know about the other ZAs

19. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

I've had ZA+ for about 2 months now.

It's looking good so far.

snowbound

20. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Why polling?
    OP of course :cool: :D

21. JayK

JayK Poster

Whats the diff between those 2 versions? My brother (you know the guy who has the title "security expert" in his offical job title) is using ZAP on another computer, so I played with it a bit, it's pretty good.

22. snowbound

ZAP has cache cleaner, ID lock, popup blocker and cookie control. ZA+ doesn't.

I have other apps to take care of those things.

snowbound

23. JayK

JayK Poster

24. snowbound

Everything else is the same other than what i mentioned.

Oh, and it was 10 bucks cheaper. ;)

snowbound

25. snowbound

Sorry i missed one thing :p

ZAP has a thing called My Vault. Keeps personal info secure on your box.

snowbound

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.