Which pair should I choose?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Sxperm, Sep 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TeknO

TeknO Registered Member

NOD32 (on-access) + KAV 4.5 (on-demand) + Kerio PF 4.2

2. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Kaspersky Personal + ZoneAlarm Free

3. octogen

octogen Registered Member

KAV and LookNStop

4. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Typical Kav nonsense, go with 8. But BOClean is good to have regardless of which Av you use.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2005
  5. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Registered Member

FYI just got an email saying Outpost 3 will be released within 7 days, so not long to wait for that part of the equation. I'd think about just getting KAV 5 for now, to go with Outpost 3.0

And, no Hammer, when people speak KAV, it's not nonsense at all. :)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2005
  6. Siro

Siro Registered Member

KAV 5.0 pro + Outpost pro 2.7
    NOD 32 +Outpost pro 2.7

Either one of these 2, top notch products in their own respect so i can barely vote out any of them maybe ZAP 5.5 with Kaspersky or Nod32 wont be a bad idea too.

7. Sxperm

Sxperm Registered Member

Thank you for your information guys, ;) you're cool!!

8. Socio

Socio Registered Member

I agree it is what I run and I am very happy with the combo.

9. Siro

Siro Registered Member

Agree, Outpost is an awesome firewall and so is Kaspersky, two great products and their combination will be deadlier than ever.

10. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

This is great thread, thanks to everyone's in put, good info.

Now, I have a question directed at all OutPost Pro user's. I was just at their site and it explained how OutPost Pro 2.5 can pass all ten of the leaktesters. Is this true? I'm not incinuating that they would print something that isn't true. I was really happy to see such development, cuz I'm really impressed with this program. I'm in the market for a new FW & AV. I will do a trial version. Their visual graphics of examples done wonders about conveying how user friendly/understanding the program is. This is exactly what I have been looking for.

The reason I asked if this was true about the leaktests: I was just at a site last night where a fella that had tested all these FW against leaktesters, but the stats I seen were very different. His results said no FW passed all leaktests, unless these are old stats. So please point me in the right direction!

I'm definitely purchasing KAV Pro 6. I was going to purchase KAH, but that went out the window when I found OutPost Pro.

I guess OutPost Pro 3 in coming very soon, but I didn't find any details at the site. Or I overlooked it.

Thanks for all your comments! ;)

11. kalpik

kalpik Registered Member

The main new feature in Outpost 3 is the new AntiSpyware module. I dont know about passing ALL leak tests, but it sure is the firewall that passes maximum number of leaktests!

12. Morpheus

Morpheus Registered Member

Well I just bought Outpost Pro 2.7 (with 40% discount) to go along side KAV Personal 5.0.

KAH was the other firewall I was looking at but with the 40% discount (available until 25/9) and the fact that I read in the Kaspersky forum that KAH completely stops working when your subscription expires rather than just stopping updates helped convince me Outpost was the way to go. TBH I do not pay that much attention to leaktests but I believe it does quite well and KAH 1.8 is notoriously bad at leaktests.

You may want to look around the Outpost forum for specifics about it as I found some interesting info on there when trying to decide and try the demo, I liked it instantly which helped as some firewalls you just don't get on with for no particular reason other than personal preference.

HTH,

Morpheus

13. Rilla927

Thanks Kalpik & Morpheus for your comments.

You're right about KAH being bad with leaktests, that's why I changed my mind about KAH when I seen that.

I did go to OutPost forum to see what was going on, and there were complaints about getting support for the product. I think that's one of the most important parts when you buy software. In you guy's opinions, do you think OP is for novices?

My other choice would be ZA Pro, but I see they too are having a lot of problems with new version according to forum. I have to make a choice between OP or ZA Pro. If anyone out there has any comments on ZA Pro, please post.

I have to do a fresh reformat. I was going to use "Safe XP" & "WWDC" to tighten up the system before I put on my new FW or AV etc. So I figured this would be the best time to also start fresh with new FW & AV.

All comments are welcome! ;)

14. Sxperm

Sxperm Registered Member

IMO Outpost is not for novice but It's not hard for learning too. ZA Pro is good for novice with their pre-setting and easy interface and easy understanding adjustment. However If you need best protection you may need some of network knowledge (a little, not like real technician) like Services, Ports etc. even you use easy configure firewall like za. I don't recommend to use default setting come with firewall. Any firewall has to customize their setting to optimum protection performance. :D I'm not geek but It's from my own experiences ;)

15. Socio

Socio Registered Member

Use Parinoid2000's guide when you setup Outpost to get maximum protection from it.

A Guide to Producing a Secure Configuration for Outpost

I did tests along time ago with I believe 2.1 version and passed 9 out 10 with proper tweaking of the settings. I have not done it since but I am sure it should do 10 out of 10 now.

16. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Registered Member

For about the first hr, I was a bit intimidated by Outpost Pro, especially coming from ZA Pro. HOWEVER, once I realized that I was looking at Outpost Pro all wrong, it became clearer. The big difference between ZA and Outpost is that in ZA you give/deny access at a PROGRAM level, whereas in Outpost pro, within each program you give/deny access at the PORT level. You set up rules for each port/range of ports, that the application uses. This can be confusing to the novice at first, but Outpost does a nice job with their rules wizard to build a rule for the user(I'm hoping this will be even better in version 3).

The trick for many users is to get out of the ZA type mentaility as quick as possible. This will make the transition quicker and easier.

17. Rilla927

Thanks to all of you for your replies. :)

Chuck that is a very good point, that I realized myself, that's why I was leaning towards OP. I like the idea of having control from a deeper level. I think this would definitely work with some help from OP users themselves. I'm surprised, I understand more than I thought. I realized that when I went to OP site and read for a while. I was really impressed with how deep you can go with this FW in order to protect your self. I thought, this is my kind of product!

Process Guard, RegDefend were good learning tools for me. Does anyone know if OP plays nice with PG, RD, WG, PE, Online Armor, BOClean, AttackShield WS?

I seen an offer for 5 licenses for 2 yrs. of OP for $63. I don't remember if it was the Pro version or not, I'll have to look. It expires 09/25/2005.

Rilla927

18. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

My security is mainly based on discipline on the internet and my computer.
    So I don't need these expensive and sophisticated softwares to protect my computer.
    I use AVG Free in stead of KAV or NOD32, because none of these three find anything on my computer.
    I'm waiting for better solutions, than firewalls, countless incomplete scanners and proactive softwares, that are only developped for knowledgeable users.
    And I'm doing fine and I don't have these many problems, people are talking about in security forums.

That's not true. When people have good arguments or experience with something. I always listen and I'm the first one to admit my mistakes, but I have my own personal opinion about the actual solutions.
    I'm also not satisfied with posts, where I read : "I think", "I guess", "I'm not sure, but...", "In my opinion ..." and many other insecurities.

At work, I have a few people that are always trying to tell me, what to do and how to do it.
    But if one of my applications, developped on their advices, goes wrong, none of these people are there to support me.
    In that case, I'm the scapegoat and I'm alone. They even enjoy it when I'm in trouble.
    That happened a few times in the beginning, not anymore. If they have something to say, I nod, I smile and after that, I'm doing it my way.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.