Which one

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by metallicakid15, Feb 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metallicakid15

metallicakid15 Registered Member

ok i got a couple of choices for antivirus protection i got ca internet security, norton 2005 + sygate, or avast free+ kerio. which one should i choose

2. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Whichever works best for you and that you feel comfortable with.

For me, that's AVAST.

You might like either Norton or CA. I don't have any complaints or criticism of either one. Lots here don't like Norton. I trialed NAV a few months ago and I didn't have a problem with it. In fact, it was pretty fast and seemed thorough. I liked it, but not enough to pay their price for it. Don't know about their Security Suite.

Test them all and make your own decision. You know your computer. What mine likes, yours might not.

3. metallicakid15

i dont really care about resources im talking about overall protection

4. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

I use Avast Free plus Sunbelt Kerio and it's a great combination. Rock stable and extremely secure, which is exactly what I want/need.

Sygate would also work well, but I'm no fan of NAV so wouldn't recommend it.

But it's your choice... :)

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

for overall protection, id say kerio and norton (even if i dont like it). after that then avast and sygate. i switched them so idk if u can use those combinations.

6. metallicakid15

i heard syagte also had promblems with avast webshield

7. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

it has problems with any proxy but it still a good firewall.

8. metallicakid15

so i wont be missing any extra protection from the ca internet security which has av,as,fw, and antispam?

9. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Avast! free and Sunbelt Kerio will offer the best all around protection. Disable the network shield for avast! though because Kerio already has a NIDS built into the firewall. Avast! has sufficient detection and will run relatively light. You might want to go for the pro version of Kerio due to the price ($15). It will give you the HIPS protection which will prevent most leaktests if you are interested in those. IMO, disable the web filtering, you can find better out there and it SLOWS down the internet connection.

If you start to get a bit more advanced, the Kerio firewall will actually allow you to tighten up your internet connection a lot more than those you mentioned.

Don't get sygate due to the fact of the proxy problem, and it will only allow 20 advanced rules in the free version.

CA is a fp nightmare. The pestpatrol is like a negative layer of security :p

Norton 05 is a bit slow, so if you choose that for your av go for the 06 version.

You might be interested in some other av's like Kaspersky or NOD which are highly regarded here, and also perform very well.

Good Luck,

Alphalutra1

10. metallicakid15

just got bitdefender standard 8 free for 1 year thanks anyways for the opinions

11. Alphalutra1

You still are missing a firewall ;)

Alphalutra1

12. metallicakid15

ill just use windows firewall, light and stealths that all i need

13. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

"Disable the network shield for avast! though because Kerio already has a NIDS built into the firewall. Avast! has sufficient detection and will run relatively light."

I'm running AVAST and Kerio free with NIDS enabled on AVAST and don't notice any problem with slowdown or notice any conflicts. Both are working very nicely together. I agree that both probably aren't needed.

Kerio free or paid and AVAST seem to be a pretty good team.

14. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

avast! Network Shield is not the same as Kerio thingie!

15. Alphalutra1

Really, from the website, it sounded similar, but I will trust you since you have a lot better knowledge of avast!

Learn something new everyday :thumb:

Alphalutra1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.