Which one would you use?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by duke1959, Jun 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Prevx2 with Comodo Pro Firewall, or Online Armor2?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2007
  2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Id go for OA2 because of the firewall and its a bit lighter IMO.

3. duke1959

Let's add this to the original question then. What if prevx2 was being used with say Comodo Pro FW?

4. walking paradox

walking paradox Registered Member

You might want to provide some context for this comparison--such as the system it will be used on, what factors you are considering (resource usage, usability, customer support, overall effectiveness, etc) and how you prioritize them--so that you receive appropriate advice.

5. duke1959

Windows XP, 512MB. Home user. Fairly safe surfer.

6. WSFuser

Id still say OA2. Its light and would provide more than adequate protection for a "fairly safe surfer".

If you do want more protection though, then go for Prevx + Comodo. Also Comodo 3, once released, will be worth considering.

7. duke1959

WSFuser, then you don't think OA offers as much protection as Prevx2 with CPF? I'm not disputing this, but just wondering why.

8. WSFuser

I think Comodo's excellent leaktest protection and Prevx's database (among other HIPS features) would provide better protection.

Im not saying OA2 is bad in anyway, its has unique features of its own (Mail/Web Shield) and its protection is good too.

9. duke1959

Gotcha WSFuser. I am currently only running the 6 mo. free trial of Avira PP as I uninstalled Prevx to see if my PC and Internet seemd faster, (I think it does) and was thinking about trialing OA 2 to see how light it is. I have used Prevx2 with PC Tools Firewall in the past for a few days, but if I reinstall Prevx2 I will use Comodo Pro.

10. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Hi guys,

I doubt whether PrevX plus Comodo Pro would be stronger than OA2 with FW.

I think a FW and an AE are an ideal couple, because the FW is a whitelist subset of the AE. Combining this in one application should be lighter, also the user will problably have a lesser chance of making integrity mistakes (configuration).

PrevX is a very user friendly application, no doubt about it. I have an irrational idea that is based on the following rule of thumb: companies pretending to do everything are rarely excellent in everything. For a single/smaller focus company it is easier to excel in one trick/competence.

I realise that this is not rational and I can not proove it in any way, still I would prefer a focussed application like OA2.

Regards K

11. walking paradox

walking paradox Registered Member

It is not irrational to think that a company who specializes in a particular area is generally more adept in that area than a company who distributes their attention and resources among many areas. In fact it is commonsensical and intuitive, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is true. However, in general it tends to be a fairly accurate representation of the computer security environment. That is one of the reasons why many people here prefer a combination of specialized security apps rather than a security suite that attempts to do everything.

12. duke1959

I wonder which is the more stable product at this time. I have never had any troubles with Prevx1 or 2, but have no experience with Online Armor. Has it been fairly reliable? I imagine with version 2 being new we don't know for sure yet.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2007
  13. WSFuser

Comodo PF 2.4 has been stable for as long as Ive used it but the same cannot be said of OA2.

I believe it to have caused some BSODs (but I think it could also be fault of my NIC) and my latest attempts at installing it resulted in oaui.exe crashing when executed. Mike did say he'll send teh crash log for review though. I hope it gets fixed.

14. duke1959

Thanks for all the input WSFuser. I went back to Prevx2 and kept Avira PP for now. I think Prevx2 will be a keeper for the duration of it's License. (9 mo. left)I may install Comodo over the next couple of days, but I'm not sure it's needed with Prevx2. As far as OA2, I like what I have read about it and won't rule out trying it in the future.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2007
  15. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

We're currently playing with a version of OA2 that passes ALL of the leaktests over at Matousec security. Some internal reworking of the code has made it a bit dicey for some users (which is why it has not been released yet) - but I hope we will get that sorted soon for a minor version release.

Mike

16. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Yes - I think that's us - we're looking at it, and if this is reproducible, installing the logging version would be a big help... Beta build 195 just went up a few minutes ago (actually, it's been there for several hours, but I just posted about it)

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.