Which one with ProcessGuard Free....Spyware Terminator or Cyberhawk?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by duke1959, Mar 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Hey everyone. I just would like to get some opinions on which one of these two softwares would be more beneficial to use with ProcessGuard Free. Spyware Terminator or Cyberhawk? I currently have both of them running along with PG Free, but I'm not sure I need to be using both since I have PG Free on board. I also use AVG AV and FW. Thanks.

2. fcukdat

fcukdat Registered Member

Re: ProcessGuard - Is the free version strong enough?

Personally i would say that both are surplus to requirement if you feel confident enough about creating execution rules with that you have to look at your pattern of PC habits and make that call.

If your continually downloading and installing new stuff then keep a HIBS just in case you download and run some **** by mistake.
    If like some you have a matured system that you are happy with and only occaisionally import new stuff from trusted sources the HIBS is surplus;) IMO

3. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

All three if they will run without issue but if you decide on two my choice is Spyware Terminator plus Cyberhawk. I grit my teeth on that choice because PG is everything and maybe more than either depending on your own preferences.

4. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I noticed a very slight slowdown when I used CH, not long after it came out. I don't know if the newer version has that fixed. I liked it, but it was just so quiet I worried whether it was doing anything. I'm not in love with pop up messages, but occasionally to, you know, let me know it's there and working is okay.

5. duke1959

So maybe PG free isn't needed with safe surfing habits is this correct? I just thought I would use it to protect my AV and FW, but I guess if there isn't much chance of malware taking them down, than keeping ST and CH, and losing PG Free would actually make better sense, right?

6. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Chuck57, i have found one drawback if you can call it that about Cyberhawk, in the begininning it was superior in every way IMO, after they tried to improve it i noticed the drivers they used began to make for some not so acceptable results even though it intercepted potentials fair enough.

At one point i had to choose Safe Mode to uninstall it (security measure maybe?)

At any rate it still needs some real fine tuning because slowdowns are simply unaccepatable in a computer world where INSTANT is demanded.

I cautiously await how it will eventually pan out compared to it's earlier capabilities. Sometimes security vendors take steps backwards even if their intentions are meant to be in users best interest.

I would love to have a hands on position in designing these programs because my ideas would originate from end users just like yourself. I do understand microsoft doesn't make matters as good as they could be though due to their core setups to begin with. You do have to work with the resources that you have on hand, that much is clear enough.

7. fcukdat

fcukdat Registered Member

If thats what you think....but fwiw i ment keep PG free and shelve the other 2:)

8. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

id add cyberhawk. dropping PG is optional.

9. duke1959

fcukdat I'm not sure I want to drop PG Free, as I like its GUI and the info it provides. I just don't know if having all three programs is really necessary. Maybe using ST with CH is good enough to use though, without PG Free, since I have safe surfing habits, am behind a router firewall, and have the AVG Firewall. Cyberhawk doesn't seem to be slowing down my PC, and Crawler is constantly trying to improve the RealTime Defense of ST. Also both have improved over the past year, and in my opinion provide a good solid defense. I really like the idea of PG Free protecting my AVG AV and FW, but if this isn't that important, then maybe ST and CH is the way to go. I also will add a thanks to everyone for helping me with this so far. You all have made some good points and I appreciate it.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2007
  10. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

I would keep Process guard free.
    It is a one thing to know when you install windows etc updates, disabling it.
    But the easiest one to know what your system is running also in general.

11. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

I have used cyberhawks latest verssion + process guard free in the past with no problems. Cyberhawk primarily is a behavioral blocker as it hooks only a few areas of the kernel through SSDT everything else is done through code hooks I would say close to 400 now. Procress Guard free has no code hooks it hooks directly into SSDT. Running both would give you more complete coverage imho.

12. duke1959

Hey yankinNcrankin. So you think it would be ok to lose Spyware Terminator then? I myself really don't see a need for it with Cyberhawk and PG free, plus using Firefox and NoScript. What about a Third Party Firewall though? Do you think AVG FW is enough? I was actually thinking of using a free version of either Outpost FW or Jetco because of better logging.

13. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

If you worried about resources, I say yeah get rid of ST. I personally don't use software type firewalls nor do I use the Windows one either. Hardware firewall that can log as well, and a Virtual + HIPS + Integrity scanners.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.