Which one should I pick?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by rx-death, Apr 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rx-death

rx-death Registered Member

Ok out of this list which one would you recommend? Dont say one that isnt on the list. KAV and NOD32 arnt on there because KAV bogs down my system and NOD32 doesnt work right :p.

Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition 8.0
    Dr.Web
    Panda Antivirus Platinum
    Pc Cillin 2k3
    AVG System Professional
    F-Secure
    Pest Patrol Corporate Edition
    Vet Antivirus
    Sophos
    Avast Pro
    Mcafee Pro
    F-Prot

2. Vampirefo

Vampirefo Guest

McAfee Pro

3. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

Hello rx-death,

OK, here's my $.02 worth:

1) I have never seen Dr. Web degrade the performance on ANY machine it was installed on. Dr. Web also has a small memory and RAM footprint, and I use it as my primary AV product.

2) I also use F-Prot as a secondary/backup AV product; it also has a small resource footprint. However, like Technodrome stated recently in another AV thread, "F-Prot has a poor unpacking engine but its a very strong AV"; I also agree with this statement completely.

KDCDQ, Security Freak

4. Inuyasha

Inuyasha Registered Member

Doesn't mcafee eat resources like Norton?

5. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

well first off you need to tell us what kind of computer you have

what windows operating system

how much ram you have

and whats your procesor mhz

and most important how many icons on the corner right of your system tray by the clock is there

with out being online and everything shut dowen on the icons on the right by the clock find out what ram percentage you have

seems like alot of work but it isnt

just do this

turn on pc go to lower right corner right click on every thing click exit

go to pc icon or my computer right click and do propertys check select performance it should tell you if you have sytstm resources fee me it says 60%

get back to us

6. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

If you're not worried about system strain: McAfee

If you want/need something lighter: PCC or F-Prot

7. rx-death

rx-death Registered Member

Ok im running a 1.3 ghz, 256 RAM,Win XP Home, and If I closed everything I would have 3 Icons I cant close. I just did ctrl+alt+del and checked preformance and even with firewall, Internet connection, propel, and my temporary AV Avast! it only goes between 0-10%.

8. RaLX

RaLX Registered Member

Which Top AV has lowest footprint (memory and cpu) and higher scan speed NOD32, DrWeb or other?

9. Patrice

Patrice Registered Member

Hi rx-death!

If I would be on the lookout for a new AV-software, the detection rate & the support would be the most important things for me. Sure, a low footprint (memory and cpu) is important as well, but to me, not as important as the above mentioned. How can you find out if the detection rate & the support is good?

There are some good AV-tests out there, which show clearly what AV-scanner is more on the edge than the others. How the support is, is a rather difficult task. For that you need to ask other users about their experiences.

Personally I was using F-Secure and NAV. The detection rate of both AV-software is good and the support is very fast & reliable. At the moment I'm using NAV 2003 because F-Secure had in my opinion a too large footprint... NAV 2003 starts three processes which are running in the background. I think that's o.k.

Don't forget to install a trojan-scanning software!

Best regards!

Patrice

10. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

No AV is faster then NOD32 but F-Prot 3.13(2,5 MB) or Command( 9MB) come close!

Technodrome

11. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

rx,

Could you elaborate on what trouble you did encounter? Please do so on the Eset/NOD32 forum ;).

regards.

paul

12. stranger

stranger Guest

No doubt selecting a proper av is important in protecting a home system.

If you subscribe to such tests, any av that has a good track record in av.org, vb, icsa and westcoast labs should provide effective protection assuming that they're continuously kept up to date. When it comes to choosing an av, ideally performance is what should matter namely detection against ITW and zoo virii and trojans. But let's get real there are other factors that influences people to pick out this particular brand over another.

Av is just one part of security. Don't forget that. You can debate and analyze the tests out there til the cows come home in your quest to find "the perfect" av solution. There's no such thing.

If you want a high probability of keeping your data safe: disconnet from the internet. Anything in your system that connects and touches the web is a potential avenue for compromise. It's why keeping up to date with OS sps and fixes, utilizing strong passwords, limiting unnecessary services, hardening web browsers, changing default configurations ect improves your chances.

13. meneer

meneer Registered Member

I would consider Etrust EZ (for home protection) if memory consumption is important. I've never substantally see it use any memory at all. Well, say 500 Kb. I can't believe it, but Taskinfo shows nothing more o_O Could the lack of a build-in schedular be the reason? I have Windows task manager download the signatures.

Besides, it's a cheapie :)

14. Jonas

Jonas Registered Member

Why not give the swiss version AVP a try, great detection and dosn't bog down a system much as KAV. I put this recommendation in another thread above with the link.

best wishes,

Jonas

15. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

I like DrWeb. Small and light with too good heuristics.
    I also like RAV.
    I use to be a fan of F-Prot...but I'm not sure I like the direction of that software these days. It's still a respectable AV in any regard, however.

regards,
    bill :)

16. RAV

RAV Guest

I also run and recommend ETrust. It is low on resources and provides good protection. It does have resident protection, scheduled scans, autoupdates (optional), etc. The cost is low (about $25) and includes 1 yr of updates including program upgrades.

17. hendricus

hendricus Registered Member

A few weeks ago i installed Antivir, a small antivirus scanner. It's free from charge - which i like :) - and as far as i can see it works thoroughly and -i must add- a little bit slow.
    Antivir has a nice forum, in German, for a change.

18. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

To rx-death and others from Firefighter!

My truth searching is now somewhat over for a while.

My choises are just now:

Resident scanner - BitDefender Pro 6.5.

First backup scanner - F-Secure Workstation 5.41.

Second backup scanner - RAV 8.6 104.

Firewall - Outpost Firewall Pro plus some plug-ins to that.

Spyware protection - Ad-aware Professional 6.0 v.162.

I don't say that it is the best available but a very good one. At least all my files are scanned all the time and backdoors and trojans have so small chance as possible!

"The truth is out there, but it hurts!"

Best Regards,
    Firefighter!

19. Patrice

Hi Firefighter!

Three AV-scanners... :eek: That's quite a lot! Are you really thinking that helps? I think that you overload your system (especiall the mem). One good AV would be enough!

And no, trojans and backdoors don't have such a small chance as possible. You don't have an AT-scanner!!! :doubt:

I really, really suggest that you install one! For example TDS-3! Don't do it when it's too late...

Regards,

Patrice

20. Firefighter

To Patrice from Firefighter!

I have now only 3 av-scanners, before I had always at least 4. I have 512 MB RAM memory, and everything goes on!

About Trojans and backdoors you may know my opinion about so called "Anti- Trojans". Kaspersky engine and the latest av-test.org test shows what KAV is capable to do with those nasties.

After that both RAV and BitDefender are so good unpackers, that if some trojan will pass them, so GOD helps me!

Best Regards,
    Fiorefighter!

21. Patrice

Hi firefighter!

Now I'm really interested! Could you please tell me (us) how many processes of these AV-scanners are started on Windows startup (running in background) and how big they are (size)? And I would also like to know how mem consuming these processes are in idle state (Ctrl-Alt-Del -Task Manager). That means just after the startup of Windows.

Would be great if you could provide us this information!! :-*

And thanks for the time you use for this! :-* :-*

Best regards!

Patrice

22. Firefighter

To Patrice from Firefighter!

I'm not sure which are those processes, but I picked some, which those "wisequys" can correct afterwards!

19 532 kb mgui.exe
    5 660 kb fsm32.exe
    4 146 kb fsav32.exe
    2 388 kb alg.exe
    2 308 kb nvsvc.exe
    1 872 kb backweb-7681197.exe
    1 220 kb fsak32.exe
    1 212 kb fsma.exe
    916 kb fameh32.exe
    912 kb fsmb32.exe
    300 kb fssm32.exe
    180 kb fsk32st.exe
    --------------------------
    40 646 kb Total

By the way, I still trust BitDefender Pro 6.5, although it has not won any VB 100% Awards, because in those av-test.org tests it was quite good in those in the Wild tests and when it won last fall that European Union Hi-Tech Award, there is no lack of money in the future!

"The truth is out there, but it hurts!"

Best Regards,
    Firefighter!

23. Patrice

Hi Firefighter!

I guess this is the mem these processes are using. Would you mind to be more specific like this:

F-Secure:

fsm32.exe (5'660 KB RAM)
    fsav32.exe (4'146 KB RAM)
    backwer-7681197.exe (1'872 KB RAM)

BitDefender:

And it would be great, if you could also tell us how big the size of these files are. Go to Windows Explorer and search for these files. Let us know, how big they are. This has nothing to do with RAM, but it shows, how much ressources are used by them on Windows startup.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP! There was a discussion some time ago about these AV-scanners. That's why I'm asking you this favour! :-* :-* :-*

Best regards!

Patrice

24. Patrice

25. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Hello Firefighter!

You know the expression: "less is more"? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.