Which one of these should I run on which Windows platforms

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by darthsideous666, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthsideous666

darthsideous666 Registered Member

I am looking for advice/feedback from those using the following products on either of these Windows platforms. I am looking for whether or not your experiencing any issues (slowdowns, download issues, infections, etc.).

MSE and Windows Firewall
    or
    Symantec/Norton I.S. Suite (Comcast version)

I have computers running Windows XP (32bit), Windows Vista (64bit) and Windows 7 (64bit). All are running Internet Explorer 8.

These would be the only security software running (either or) on each machine.

I am not looking for a this vs that, only feedback on system resources and issues from those possibly running these apps. on these platforms.

Thanks

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I've used MSE and windows firewall on one computer and no issues of any kind, this combo has been great.

3. darthsideous666

darthsideous666 Registered Member

Thanks Hammer. Can you tell me which version of Windows it is on?

4. The Hammer

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

5. Duradel

Duradel Registered Member

Using MSE 2.0.657.0 on my work computer with windows firewall and never had any issues. MSE absolutely owns all other free antivirus software.

Operating system is Windows XP Professional 32 bit.

6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I am useing Norton Security Suite (Comcast) On XP home and it is very surprisingly light considering what all it includes. I would certainly trust my computer to The norton suite before I would MSE. I had no issues with either apps both run good on my comp. Which ever one you decide on it should work well for you on the machines you mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2011
  7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I have used both MSE and NIS 2011 on Win 7 x64 and both are very light with no drag on the system, no issues or problems. Right now I'm using MSE. Which one you use just depends on the features you want I guess....

8. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

Among two given choices, I will prefer Symantec/Norton I.S. Suite (Comcast version).

9. The Hammer

Several of the last posts are venturing into A vs B territory despite the OP's wishes. "I am not looking for a this vs that, only feedback on system resources and issues from those possibly running these apps. on these platforms."

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  10. robinb

robinb Registered Member

So have I
    I like Avast Free for XP and Windows Firewall + I would add a router to the mix. Either a stand a lone router or if you have Fios it has a built in router. Routers have hardwire firewalls built into them so you have extra protection if the Windows firewall somehow turns off.

For Windows Vista or 7 I use MSE and the rest above. I have found that MSE uses too much cpu in XP and runs just fine in Vista and Windows 7.

The other problem with third party firewalls is the average person has no clue what to allow out or not and if they are prompted to allow something out that is needed by the OS to go out- all of a sudden they find they cannot connect to the internet and haven't a clue why.

robin

11. robinb

robinb Registered Member

The problem with having an ISP version is if you change ISPS you can no longer use their software and now you have to go and uninstall it.

robin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.