Which one for least messiest install?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by polo, Dec 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. polo

polo Guest

I've fussy about what I install and always monitoring size/date modified files (in Explorer sort by modified or use dir/od). I prefer to use DOS AV as everything is installed in 1 folder or so and nothing is added to the registry. I'm not one to install this or that application just for something different -- you know these screensavers or utility programs unless I need to and I don't. According to some if you close the ports, unbind NetBIOS over TCP/IP, practise safe hex, scan with good AV/AT, and esp. use a dynamic IP/56k dial up there's less chance of attacks and firewalls aren't always needed (alt.comp.virus). I'm still interested in what I maybe sending out/getting in. So which firewall is best and will leave the least change to my files when I install. As it's a Win program the registry will be changed. Windows95A, P150, 80MB, personal home standalone use.

2. root

root Registered Member

Hi. With 95, you don't want Outpost. ZA and Sygate are very invasive installs.
    Look N Stop is small, but I don't think the free version monitors outgoing traffic. You would need to check that out. If you can pay, the pay version is ok, but you will need to learn how to use it.
    Actually, if I were you and were keeping 95, I would use AtGuard. Its old and no longer supported, but some still use it. As far as I know, it still does an excellent firewalling job. It is no longer sold, so you can't just buy it. But there are ways...

3. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

If you are looking for small footprints and relatively clean install and uninstall, plus Win95 compatibility you might want to look at Look 'n' Stop and Kerio 2.14.

With Look 'n' Stop, if you want applicaion control, you will have to go with the paid version. Look 'n' Stop is rules based and does have predefined rules configuration files available with the install which should meet most users needs. Look 'n' Stop also offers a free trial period for the paid version.

Kerio 2.14 is also a rule based firewall. The current official release supports Win95, but version 3.x currently in beta will not. Kerio 2.14 is free.

Regards,
    CrazyM

4. snowman

snowman Guest

LookNStop is very light.......also Polo, are you awear of how to use Command Line functions.......on a 95 you can do lots of nice things with it.....been so long since I used Command Line I forgot most all.....

5. polo

polo Guest

Command line

Which ones? dir/s/a does all files in each sub-dir but I think it misses files in hidden folders. /a is archive includes user normal files, hidden and system. See dir/?

You don't need spaces btw; a tech guy on the phone insisted I use spaces!

6. snowman

snowman Guest

POLO

HUH ? not sure what you are asking ? do you want to know what prompts to use ? If so I strongly advised you to do a <google> search: Command Line

command line is not something to play with....saying this very politely.....

also, this question would change the topic of the thread an the mods may not enjoy that.....so if your's is a question regarding command line may I most respectfully suggest a new thread in the proper forum.......just politeness to this forums mods...........as said as polite suggestion

7. Phil

Phil Registered Member

As root suggested, AtGuard would be the *only* firewall I would attempt to run on your system. I used AtGuard on a Win95 box for several years and it is an excellent product. If it would run on XP, I would have it installed on this box. Most of the "leak test" type exploits will blow right through it but if you are careful about what you download and don't click unknown links and files in emails, that is not that big of a deal. I think most of today's crop of firewalls would be a bit much for your system. One poster mentioned Look 'n Stop and I have never tried that product so can't say one way or the other about it. You might check their site to see if it supports W95. Of the current crop, Kerio is the lightest on the system I am aware of but they state on their site they do not support W95.

Phil

8. Douglas

Douglas Guest

I'm using LooknStop (paid), and its footprint is very light, as CrazyM said. Using the enhanced rules set, it's easy to set up.
    And it passes all the tests I've put it through.

Douglas

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.