WHICH ONE DO I DISABLE

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by Mr.Blaze, Jun 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

:DNEED HELP WHICH ONE DO I DISABLE I HAVE TO ENTRYS IN MSCONFIG ON

Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Blaze,

Are you saying that that entry is double in your msconfig?
    Could you post your HijackThis log
    Download, Unzip and run HijackThis, Then click Scan > Save log, save the log as a .txt file and copy & paste its content into your next post.
    Don´t fix anything yet. Most of what it finds is harmless.

Regards,

Pieter

3. Mr.Blaze

:DOKEY DOKEY BRB

4. Pieter_Arntz

No rush Blaze,

I´m off to bed anyway. ;)

Regards,

Pieter

5. Mr.Blaze

Logfile of HijackThis v1.94.0
    Scan saved at 1:29:04 PM, on 6/3/2003
    Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v5.50 SP1 (5.50.4522.1800)

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 5.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.OCX
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {4401FDC3-7996-4774-8D2B-C1AE9CD6CC25} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\E-BOOK SYSTEMS\FLIPALBUM 5 PRO\FPLAUNCH.DLL
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: @msdxmLC.dll,-1@1033,&Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Hidserv] Hidserv.exe run
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Hot Key Kbd 9910 Daemon] SK9910DM.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system\dla\tfswctrl.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NAV Agent] C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~1\NAVAPW32.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [GhostStartTrayApp] C:\Program Files\Symantec\Norton Ghost 2003\GhostStartTrayApp.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\hkcmd.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [GBPoll] C:\Program Files\Roxio\GoBack\GBPoll.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ScriptBlocking] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [CSINJECT.EXE] C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton CleanSweep\CSINJECT.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SymTray - Norton SystemWorks] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SymTray.exe "Norton SystemWorks"
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [GhostStartService] C:\PROGRAM FILES\SYMANTEC\NORTON GHOST 2003\GHOSTSTARTSERVICE.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [MOSearch] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYSTEM\MOSEARCH\BIN\MOSEARCH.EXE
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WkDetect.exe
    O4 - Startup: Microsoft Works Calendar Reminders.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\wkcalrem.exe
    O4 - Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &NeoTrace It! - C:\Program Files\NeoTracePro\NTXcontext.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Sothink SWF Decompiler - C:\Program Files\SourceTec\Sothink Glanda\InternetExplorer.htm
    O9 - Extra button: Related (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Real.com (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: MSN Messenger Service (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: AIM (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Sothink SWF Decompiler (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sothink SWF Decompiler (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: NeoTrace It! (HKCU)
    O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/x86/ansi/iuctl.CAB?37765.6594212963
    O16 - DPF: {597C45C2-2D39-11D5-8D53-0050048383FE} (OPUCatalog Class) - http://office.microsoft.com/productupdates/content/opuc.cab
    O16 - DPF: {EE5CA45C-BFAC-48E6-BE6C-3C607620FF43} (IMViewerControl Class) - http://companion.logitech.com/companion/logitech/ver1.3.1.2083/bin/imvid.cab
    O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
    O16 - DPF: {166B1BCA-3F9C-11CF-8075-444553540000} (Shockwave ActiveX Control) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/director/swdir.cab

LOL TRYING TO SAVE MORE RAM BUT NOT SURE WHICH POER THINGHY NEED TO BE DISABLE AS THERE TWO ENTRYS THAT LOOK EXACTLY THE SAME

6. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi Blaze,

I believe it's normal for Windows ME to have these two entries (I know they exist on a fresh default ME installation on my parents Gateway PC, which is almost an identical system to yours).

Here's a site that has a little info on this:

http://www.greatis.com/regrun3necessary.htm#rundll32.exe%20powrprof.dll,loadcurrentpwrscheme

As far as memory goes, I don't think these stay running, per say. I think they set the power management functions and exit.

In your past postings of HijackThis and StartupList information, you've had only the one that is run as a Service enabled:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=8056

I don't see any reason to disable either of them unless you don't use power management at all.

7. Mr.Blaze

:Dwill whats thepoint of haveing poer managment will it hurt my pc if i shut it dowen does it have anything to do with my cool screen saver or my wall paper if not id like it shut dowen so do i disable both entrys?

8. LowWaterMark

Frankly, I think you are better off leaving them there. You aren't really going to get anything of value back by removing them, and you may just cause some unknown problem. Power Management controls a number of different things, and one of them may be the specific function performed when you press the power button on your Gateway PC. (Software intercepts that button press initially, and I'm not sure what state it'll be in if you remove the power management program from startup.)

However, you can certainly try it out and see what happens. You can always put them back.

9. Mr.Blaze

:Dok ill let it be lol thx for replying so fast budy

10. LowWaterMark

11. Pieter_Arntz

SYMPTOMS
    When you view the programs that are loaded when you start your computer, you may notice that LoadPowerProfile is listed twice.
    CAUSE
    This behavior can occur because LoadPowerProfile is started twice to provide a power management profile before and after you log on to Windows. LoadPowerProfile starts as a machine service so that the default power management settings are available when Windows 98 starts. It is loaded again after you log on to Windows to process preferences for individual users of the computer.
    STATUS
    This behavior is by design.

Source: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;187611

Regards,

Pieter

12. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

I disagree with the advice give you so far..thought I had posted it here for you but now do not see it. :D

I know gateway and certainly ME ..I would consider this information.

Take care Blaze.. ;)

Can I customise WinME to free up System Resources?

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winme/t1045426243

13. Pieter_Arntz

Hi Primrose,

I'm sorry. I don't understand what you're saying (must be the sun ;) )

Following your link i spotted:

The here in that quote leads to:

Since Blaze 's question was if he needed both or he could disable one of them, I agree with LWM and M$ that it is better to leave them both alone, as long as you're experiencing no problems.

How was that saying again?
    Don't repair what is not broken.

Regards,

Pieter

14. Primrose

I was not brought up on M$ sayings ;) and since Blaze is the only user of that PC this applies.

LoadPowerProfile = LoadPowerProfile rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,loadcurrentpwrscheme All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    Power Management Setup
    LoadPowerProfile rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,loadcurrentpwrscheme All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    Power Management Setup
    Power management specifics such as monitor shut-off, system standby, etc. Associated with power management and is listed twice - see here:

LoadPowerProfile Starts Twice When You Start Your Computer

Loads your selected power scheme. May not be required - depends upon whether you modify the default Control Panel -> Power Options settings

And because of the type and model of his PC he has no need to modify any power option settings..in fact he would be better off not to do this.

The rest is history dealing with ME... it is a step child (and it is broke :D :D )but the kid is stuck with it unless he found himself a good copy of Win98 and sticks with IE 5.0..and then get some good technical help to stop Microsoft from managing his RAM.

Blaze is not doing wordprocessing nor most of the bloat that comes with that package deal he has with the software from the purchase.

Blaze is now on dial up..he wants every bit of speed and function for the special use HE has for that system.

And he has been around now long enough to understand how to accomplish all this.

It is advice I give to him..not to other members here.

Each need is specific..and since Blaze will not soon get a new PC or OS and he did get some more RAM... it would be nice to get the most out of what he has.

Call it hacking or whatever you wish in the mean time...but it is his box and he has been doing that for ages already.

The dude is fearless :D

Regards,
    John

So I will be glad to help him get lean and mean to enjoy the things he likes most about the Internet.

15. Pieter_Arntz

Hi Primrose,

I know he's fearless and I know you're very knowledgeable and helpful.
    Just wanted to know what exactly you ment, because your post was kind of cryptic.
    And of course I wanted to put my two cents of warning in. ;)

Regards,

Pieter

16. Primrose

Hi Pieter,

Go back to that link I posted above in the first post. Do not just read it all..but also click on all of the hyperlinks that are offered..Maybe you did not know they were in there...

here are two of them...

FYI, info on ACPI or APM:

Advanced Power Management

How to Disable Power Management

and if you would click on "How to Disable Power Management"

It would bring you to this site.

http://9337387.home.icq.com/main22.html

:D

If you get a chance to read of the the links and still have a question for me..let me know..I think you will find that link for "Advanced Power Management" at Forrest is no longer active..but If you need info on it I will post it.

Smiles,

John

17. Primrose

This site will also help Blaze...

http://9337387.home.icq.com/index.html

:D

18. Mr.Blaze

:Dlol omg he know me to well yup i was tryig to get the most out of this out dated pc

windows 98

now i knew people here knew me perty will but to know me that well is just amazining

i never wanted to bring it up because i think it get everybody throwing dowen for a huge free for all straight up street brawel on the bords

but i do belive windows 98 was the most stable operating system ever

i been across cyber space dead lands traveling far and wide befor i settled at wilders and gav

on the way i picked alot of tid bits of info from lots of gurues of cyber space many bords have 1 to 3 top members that just seem to know it all

and all have said time and time algain windows 98 is the most reliable stable system lol

im stuck with windows me

but through wilders ive lerand to modyfie my system to be twice as fast as my dads 1 ghz . something double my ram xp lol

thats no joke my little windows me 700mhz celeron can beat my dads top of the line gate way xp pc

on start ups

i also know win 2k and win xp are most troublsome pc

xp being the worst

easyest way to learn this is take a look at the update security patchs compare that to every os out there you will see xp is glorified eyecandy lol

worst off i was there when xp had another name a major security expert had told microsoft not to let xp out befor fixing all the bugs

aka back doos holes major security leaks ect

and get this microsoft invited him to talk in confrence

and this was microsoft quote to the letter response

if a crook wants badly enough in your car hes going to get in no matter what kinda security steps you take to prevent it

so why do anything if a hacker wants in hes going to get in anyways

that was microsoft response lol

the guy was like whaaaaaaaaa

can you imagine hearing that from top programers of microsoft including all the top dogds at this meeting

i dont even want to go into to the new os called long horn that microsoft is useing to side step a goverment rulling on monoply

but all i have to say is do not get the new longhorn lol

cause what longhorns new name should be

is all your pc belongs to us lol

you have no consumer rights it uses 4 methodes of control over the usser

the operating system itself

the 2 forms of hardware the processor and the pc itself

and other new software

all aledgedly for security but more like handcufs hooked to your pc and your arm

with a big ball an chain and a security camarah watching your every keystroke lol

if i had money id buy windows 98 lol

still it amazes me how well you guys know me

i mean Primrose was right on the money lol

lol you all know to much lol

19. Primrose

we know all that stuff cause we like YA..man that was some weird movie guy..let's try some disney stuff next.

:D :D

20. Mr.Blaze

:Dyeah disney some of there cartoons are ok lol

i belive portie derosie from ally mcneal is doing disney movies lol

its a shame that girl has so much potnthial she should be doing real movies

21. Primrose

They have to find work even in Hollyland..things are tough all over. I was thinking of making a movie about you..but you have to come up with a better ending with that man upstairs..cause it is far from over ;)

We might have to do all of it in sequels. Got in titles in mind for the first one?? Now that I have hijacked your thread :D :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.