Which of the following anti-virus are better?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by spider_darth, Mar 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spider_darth

spider_darth Registered Member

Which of the following anti-virus are better?

1. AVIRA
    2. AOL Active Virus Shield
    3. AVG
    4. ClamWin
    5. BitDefender 8
    6. Dr.WEB CureIt!
    7. ClamAV

is it true that ClamWin and BitDefender has no real-time protection? that it can only scan when asked to do so.

And, what's ClamAV?

Btw, I'm referring to all the free versions for the ones i stated above.
  2. RejZoR

RejZoR Polymorphic Sheep

Where is avast! ?
  3. spider_darth

spider_darth Registered Member

oh ya.. miss that out.

yes, include AVAST! into the list too.

1. AVIRA
    2. AOL Active Virus Shield
    3. AVG
    4. ClamWin
    5. BitDefender 8
    6. Dr.WEB CureIt!
    7. ClamAV
    8. AVAST!

so.. which is better?
  4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

well, im a big fan of dr.web (cure it is only a free on demand scanner)

AOL shield is a lesser-feature FREE version of kaskerspy, so maybe kaspersky should be added in its place, kaspersky is very good, one of the best.

bitdefender 8 is a bit outdated, go for BD 10, another one i would recommend.

clamav, i wouldnt bother with.

--------
    but, i can see your looking at free av's though, so id recommend you go to avast or AVG.

and use the Dr.Web cureit as an ondemand 'second opinion', easily done as you dont even install it, and it scans with latest definations.
  5. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

Having used and tested for nearly a year, both Anitivir Classic and now Premium, i can vouch for their effectiveness at detecting and preventing all kinds of nasty malware. They both have the same excellent heuristics, and malware definitions, and are light to run. The only difference is that Premium has additional spyware definitions.

For the latest indepedent AV tests and report which are highly regarded go here http://www.av-comparatives.org 13. On-demand comparative February 2007 Online results / Report

You will see how well Avira Premium did.

StevieO
  6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Avira, hands down.:)
  7. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

AnitiViri Classic is for me. Light, effective, clean simple GUI. For strict AV this is a excellent choice.

I would add another layer of protection such as BOClean, A2, or maybe a free HIPS or behav. blocker. I will likely get shot down for this, but I think AVG, with their antispyware protection is a really good all in one choice. ;)

Edit: I use Webmail email scanner is not needed. Any sort of update problem is rare for me. (see below)
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  8. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

Definitely Avira. Excellent detection rate. Frequent updating. Nice GUI and simple interface. Light on resources. ANd doesn't have the extra stuff from other AV''s you might not want.
  9. plantextract

plantextract Registered Member

AVira aol AVS in terms of detection (you are safe with either of them).
    but i see that you were reffering to free ones (so i assume avira is the clasic version), in this case AVS has the edge because it detects adware/spyware etc. also AVS has some interesting features like self protection.
  10. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

avasts free version is beyond avira free, by far.

just look at the difference between free avast and paid, practically NONE! :D

http://www.avast.com/eng/av4_version_comp.html#

how can you look at the things on this comparison and say avira free is better? avira is still bugged in my opinion.
  11. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

Avira free is still better in my opinion. it may have less update servers, an ad that appears after you update which has a varying amount of annoyance on different users, have some bugs that were not that serious, (the icon disappearign was just a very minor problem as the guard was still fully functional) the detection rate is basically the same except the lack of adware/spyware and spyware seems to becoming less and less of a threat these days anyways. And an email scanner isn't really needed.
  12. walking paradox

walking paradox Registered Member

While I agree that Avira AntiVir is probably his best all-around choice for free AVs, if he uses desktop email it might not be. Given that the vast majority of viruses are derived from emails, saying that an email scanner isn't really needed doesn't make much sense. It is misleading and inaccurate. If however one uses only webmail, then Avira's lack of POP3 scanning shouldn't be a problem. If you do use a desktop email client like Outlook, then I'd probably recommend AOL AVS as it uses the KAV engine, even though you have to sign up and you get spammed, or so I've heard.
  13. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

If you are looking for a free AV I would suggest you download F-Secure which is free for 6 months. Sure the free period will run out sometime in September. But you will have nice protection until then.

http://www.f-secure.com/protectyourpc/
  14. waters

waters Registered Member

In detection ,antivir is the best.Avast may have same in free and paid but antivir free will protect more.Best is what is best for you,try them.
  15. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ok, lose the 3-4% of the latest on demand between avast and antivir, but with avast you get spyware scanning / PUP's.

also you get an email scanner and probably a few other things, check the avast list above, and no 'bugs' (search the forums), i think with the added spyware / pup scanning, avast adds more than the 3-4% loss on virus scanning.

oh, and avast is vista ready and performs well.
  16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

active virus shield,antivir of avast.
    avast has a lower detection rate but it has a web shield which is one of the best http scanners in any AV. and alot of other useful shields as well in a free version. it doesnt have many problem and the newest version is lighter than the older versions.

active virus shield is just kaspersky with only file av and mail av
    lodore
  17. Londonbeat

Londonbeat Registered Member

I agree avast! is a great choice for a freebie, but antivir classic detects a lot of what avast detects as spyware either as a trojan or heuristically (HEUR/malware, etc).

Antivir classic also has some pups detection if you enable the "Security Privacy Risk (SPR)" in the extended threat detection category. Antivir classic will also detect email threats (unless some rare memory based) with the standard file scanner.

IMO avast! is better than antivir in some ways (flawless updating being one), but it's detection level is still quite below antivir classic's.

Londonbeat
  18. madaro

madaro Guest

Going by your list my choice would be the free version of avg antivirus.
  19. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

spider_darth, as you can see everyone has a different opinion on what is best. IMHO, AOL AVS is the best freebie AV for a couple of reasons.

1) Based off KAV 6.0
    2) One year license that is renewable
    3) Full pop3 protection
    4) Low resource usage
    5) Few FP's
    6) multiple updates each day
    7) No spam regardless of the myths

However try a few of them for yourself and draw your own conclusion. :D FWIW Avira free and premium do not have the same detection rates.
  20. walking paradox

Not that I'm questioning the validity of this statement, but do you have proof to back it up? The only ways I could imagine it has lower detection rates are if the updates are received slower, or due to the fact that it doesn't have POP3 scanning. Other than that, there doesn't seem to be any reason why the detection rates should differ.
  21. EliteKiller

22. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Avira.
    Although AVS should be good being that it's a KAV powered program.
  23. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

In order of my Favorite Free ones. (My choice for paid is AVG Pro)

Avira. Runs light with perhaps best virus detection. Nice user Interface. Many addional features. Can be set up to auto update more than once. Has some occasional update server problems.

AOL AVS. Runs light with top level virus and antispyware detection. Nice User Interface. Most featured of the four. Did auto update every two hours, but not sure since it no longer uses Kaspersky Update Servers.

AVG Free. Perhaps the lightest, improved virus detection. Two User Interfaces, laid out well I think. Some added features to it. Only one auto update a day.

Avast. Runs a little heavier than the others. Above average virus detection. Some spyware detection. Web Shield nice addition for added detection. GUI cumbersome to some. Has a few additional features. Excellent update servers set to update every 4 hours I believe.
  24. walking paradox

@EliteKiller

The thread you linked to only has 3 posts concerning the difference between the free and paid version of Avira AntiVir, and only one of them provides an answer of sorts. That one is from IBK, and all he says is "in aviras case mainly only regarding spyware etc." So aside from spyware, the detection rates of other malware should be virtually identical between that of the paid and free version, with the possible exceptions of what I previously mentioned.
  25. EliteKiller

How exactly does a slower update server, or the fact that the free version lacks pop3 protection, have anything to do with detection rates? o_O

I could have linked to additional threads, but I didn't think redundant information was necessary. Regardless, the detection capabilities are in fact different between the free and paid version. However the detection rates on everything except spyware/adware should be the same. Is that clear enough? :)
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.