Which Norton product?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by joffy, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joffy

joffy Registered Member

I've been using Avast Pro, but I've been having a problem where it freezes at system startup which is a common thing reading the avast forums. The license expires in a few weeks anyway so thought I'd try Norton as it seems highly rated these days.

My firewall is full version Online Armor, that expires in a few months and I also run Malwarebytes paid.

Should I go for Norton Internet Security 2011 to be hassle free or the cheaper option of just the AV product? Does it run ok with other security products?

Thanks.

2. guest

guest Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2011
  3. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I run norton 360 and so far its run perfectly on my systems. Great if you want an all in one solution. I grabbed a 1 year 3 pc download off amazon.com for around $35 which i thought was a pretty good deal.

4. joffy

joffy Registered Member

Thanks. Seems here in UK it cheaper to buy the disk version than the download option!

5. guest

guest Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2011
  6. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

yes it is cheaper to buy disc version,got mine from Amazon,about £20 for NIS 3 PC licence,has ran perfectly on each PC,bought NIS 2010 and upgraded to 2011 with no issues

7. gery

gery Registered Member

does it have to be a paid version ?
    for instance
    comodo private firewall or online armor firewall
    Avira avg or MSE Antivirus
    ThreatFire
    MBAM or SAS and PREVX FREE phishing tool
    will be more than enough to cover and be safe
    They are all free

8. xandros

xandros Registered Member

same of you i was use avast but after update it to new V of avast i have many problems in my computer so i change it to norton internet security 2011
    and the latest V of norton internet security 2011 you can take it from
    http://buy-download.norton.com/downloads/CLT/NAV/US/2011/18.5/ESD/NAV-ESD-18-5-0-125-EN.exe
    the latest v of norton internet security as u see its 18.5.0.125

its light on my computer and i dont have any problems with the latest V of norton internet security 2011

good luck

9. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

I recommend you use Norton Internet security 2011

it would make ur PC faster than installing a separate firewall

10. clocks

clocks Registered Member

At the core, the Norton programs are pretty much the same. If you are behind a router, just get the cheaper AV and use windows FW.

11. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

@joffy

In case you want Norton - you can choose from Norton AV , Norton IS or Norton 360. I personally am not a big fan of Norton 360 . I also prefer Windows Firewall so I would use Norton Antivirus .

If you don't need Norton's SPAM protection or firewall (but you want to use Microsoft's Windows Firewall) - you should choose Norton Antivirus + download the free Norton Safe Web Lite (for your browser)

If you want third party firewall (not Windows Firewall) - you really should choose between Norton IS or Norton 360 - Norton's firewall is really good and its integration with the whole product is great . The Smart Firewall mode automatically filters programs based on known good and bad programs list and based on other modules such as SONAR , heuristics , etc. It can detect and auto-block from access new malware undetected by other modules . You can also turn on advanced program control (HIPS) or manually change firewall rules.

In case you want Norton's tune-up utilities and/or back-up , choose Norton 360 . Otherwise NIS or NAV.

Keep in mind that in case you get a licence for NIS (example) and start using it but later you decide you want to downgrade to NAV - you can do it once only if you contact Norton Support.

In case you don't like Norton , I strongly recommend AVIRA Premium or Personal as another option , as well as Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Pro . As you probably know MBAM is great malware protector and cleaner with no problem

12. guest

guest Guest

@joffy
    Just curiosity :D

What did you do at the end?

13. joffy

joffy Registered Member

Thanks for all the info folks.
    I've ordered Norton IS 2011 on cd from Amazon. I'm gonna ditch Online Armor as I've just discovered it's causes my online shopping basket on Tesco to go crazy! If I add an item it will double the quantity of everything in the basket! I turned OA off and it then works fine.

14. guest

guest Guest

Nice choice, NIS is a good paid AV.

15. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

good choice . I am sure you will like it

16. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

nis2011 is awesome. and it has a great firewall especially if you use it in advanced mode. if i was not using avast i would use nis

17. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have been using NIS (2010 & 2011) for some time. It runs extremely well. I bought it off ebay.

Regards,
    Jerry

18. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I used NIS11 for a while (still have the licence) and found it very good too.The only problem i seemed to have running it ,was that on many occasions some of my system tray icons wouldnt load ,which was very annoying,so im now back with AIS which has always worked fine.
    ellison

19. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

Good choice! I recommend Malwarebytes Pro too, a must have on every computer no matter what antivirus you use.:)

20. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Really good choice, NIS have been running very very light on my bro's netbook.
    :thumb:

21. littlebits

littlebits Registered Member

If you still want to use Avast, you can go with the free version which offers excellent protection. When use with an alternative browser like Firefox, Opera and Google Chrome, you really don't need the Pro features anyway.

To solve the freezing at system startup, make sure that you have the rules setup on Online Armor to allow all of Avast's processes.

On Avast settings- Troubleshooting- disable "rootkit scan on system startup".
    And enable- "Load avast services only after loading other system services".

Also be aware that the freezing problem could be directly related to Online Armor and may not have nothing to do with Avast.

It all depend on your preferences what would be the best option for yourself.

Norton Internet Security probably is the best paid solution on the market today. Kaspersky Internet Security is also good but more heavy on systems.

I've been using Avast Free for about 3 years now and it has always protected my system, so I see no need to buy a paid solution.

But some users need a paid solution like Norton Internet Security and it is the one that I recommend to users who want to buy a paid solution.

It's something you will have to decide for yourself. Every user needs customized protection.

Thanks.:D

22. xandros

xandros Registered Member

good choice NIS :thumb:

23. Victek

Victek Registered Member

If you would rather not wait go ahead and install the NIS sixty day trial. Note, entering the license key will cancel the trial subscription so might want to wait until it's finished.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Firewall/Norton-Internet-Security.shtml

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.