Which monitor should I buy?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by bellgamin, Nov 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I recently sought advice from you folks concerning which router to buy. I ended up buying a D-link. It installed very easy, & runs flawlessly. I am delighted, and offer my sincerest thanks to the Wilders forum ohana (family).

Now I need your help again. To wit ---- I plan to buy an LCD-type of monitor in the next several days. I would very much appreciate your comments and advice.

1- I read somewhere that 22" is the optimum size for a monitor. Agree? Disagree? Comments? (Example: At Wal-mart the 22" costs only $20 more than the 19" -- both of them HP.)

2- Speaking of brands, what is a good reliable make of monitor, with good tech support? (Conversely, what is a bad brand that I should definitely NOT buy?)

3- I read somewhere that I should buy a monitor which has a "native resultion" that is approximatrely the same as the resolution that I normally set for my computer. I usually use a setting of 1024X768. Given the fact that I have NO idea what "native resolution" means, can you folks offer comments &/or educate me on this matter?

I very much appreciate any help or encouragement that you folks care to offer.

Aloha... bellgamin

2. Arup

Arup Guest

Check out Viewsonic, Eizo or Samsung/SONY. Viewsonic offers best value, EIZO is used by architects, SONY is made by Samsung so either will do. BENQ has had some real bad rep here, Dell as well.

3. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

if you want making photoprints that closely match your screen,then you are in for a steep learning curve e.g. colormanagement,calibration and profiling your screen,learning colormanagement options,most important creating softproofs in Photoshop,profiling your colorprinter,buying the right hardware and reading much,much stuff about that.
    And sure if you enter the way,buying a quality screen with hardware calibration options is a requirement.I myself using lcd NEC's imho best quality for the buck.

4. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

"Native resolution" applies only to LCD monitors and refers to the maximum resolution that can be achieved on that monitor. In LCDs the number of horizontal and vertical pixels are always fixed and cannot be changed like in CRTs.

So, say if I have a monitor which has a native resolution of 1280x1024 (1280 horizontal pixels, 1024 vertical pixels), then the monitor's highest resolution is 1280x1024. However, in case of an LCD, the fixed number of pixels is anyway 1280x1024. So, if I set a resolution that is less than 1280x1024 on that monitor, for example, say 1024x768, the resultant image at 1024x768 will be blurry compared to the image at 1280x1024 which will be clear. The reason is that at the resolution of 1024x768, the horizontal and vertical pixels are stretched to a 1280x1024 size thus causing blurring.

In an LCD, the more lower resolution you set the blurrier will be the image. For CRT monitors this restriction does not apply.

The brands I would recommend are Samsung, ViewSonic and HP. I also recommend going for a CRT rather than an LCD if you watch a lot of movies/videos on your computer. I am not very satisfied with the quality of LCDs in the market today.....but that is just my opinion.

5. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

If you look from a perspective as a proff.the the highend EISO's and NEC with their LED background lichting are way better overall then their Barco / Lacie /Sony[artisan]CRT counterparts.But then i am talking from an industrial workflow,and i guess that the regular LCD is not yet up to par if compared with the regular CRT.So in a way you are right about your statement.But its fate that we have to accept that CRT is "the last of the Mohicans".

Forgive me if this talk has nothing to do in the interest of the original poster!??!

6. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Ah, boys & their toys...
    I was quite content with 15" 1024X768 monitor, but when last Xmas brought with it a 19" Samsung LCD with 1440X900 resolution, it was like being at a drive-in. Had to get new speakers too, just to complete the Dolby surround-sound effect. But a 22" bad-boy lol that'd be the one to get!
    Ah, boys & their toys...

7. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

To survive in a hard competitive world like mine i have to be deadly serious in my choice for a screen among others !!!

8. RealResults

RealResults Registered Member

bellgamin,

Here is an extremely informative link to AnandTech forum LCD thread. Tells you about all the different types of LCD monitors and then goes on to suggest monitors for different types of uses.

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=31&threadid=2049206&enterthread=y

Once you determine an LCD you think you like, then check out the feedback in the display forum over at HardOCP here. Some very knowledgeable folks posting at this site.

http://www.hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78

Hope this helps.

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

HI Bellgamin

I have two 21" and two 19" and I love the 21's. All are samsung, and I recommend buying the best of the lines you can afford.

As to support can't say, I'm on my 5th samsung, 1 4 years old. Never needed support. They just work.

Pete

10. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

2. Samsung and Dell are good brands.

3. If you really want your native resolution to be 1024X768, youll have to settle for a 15" LCD.

11. 19monty64

A friend of mine was so impressed with my monitor that he eventually decided upon the 24", just to make sure I couldn't one-up him for a while. (Ah, boys & their toys...) No guy is gonna tell ya to get the smaller monitor...

12. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

13. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

14. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Does this apply to TVs too? I was thinking of getting one of those new LCD TVs (32 to 37 inches) since my old tube TV audio keeps going on the blink now. I have heard complaints of audio feedback, dead pixels, video/audio lag, very hot surfaces, and blurred images on some LCD TVs. Are SDTV a better choice?

15. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

depend on what purposes the screen is needed,only beautifull colors then the choice is abundant,nowedays theres so many cheap screens with good color out there,but if you depend on ''real color'' for your livelyhood,then the outlook on screens takes quite a different way. but i guess that most folks are not involved in coloraccuracy so the choice for a good and cheap screen is not that difficult.

16. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Many MANY thanks for all of the helpful & informative comments.

As to the Westinghouse advertisement at Tiger -- my 19" Westinghouse LCD monitor started flickering & went all funny colors after just 15 months of use. It's the one I'm replacing. Of course I might just have got the 1 in a million lemon, but....

Is there anything I might have done to screw up my Westinghouse monitor? I saw on one of the links given above that an LCD should be cleaned with nothing more than water. Confession: I often cleaned my LCD with "Endust" antistatic & dusting spray. I wonder if that *messed up the gauss* or something?

By the way, has anyone ever bought computer stuff from Wal-mart? If so -- good experience or bad experience? (I'm inclined to buy from them because they have a liberal return policy for the first several weeks after buying something from them.)

Aw shucks -- are you telling me that size really DOES matter? :oops:

17. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Buy one that has the Greater Warrenty and Service on it.. Samsung currently Offer 3 year parts and labour.. and if they cant fix it.. they replace it no questions asked :D

18. 19monty64

Only when you're looking at it... lol

19. clambermatic

clambermatic Registered Member

'bellgamin & monty64'.... the bigger the better, right??

Can we include the "Komodo" which is a biggy... and "Chameleon" which has vivid colours huh o_O

:p After all, they're in cateorically under 'monitors' see?

Boy.... i love monitors... yeah! :D
    -------------------------------------------
    edit: typo

20. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Using Samsung LCD here and very happy with it.
    Only 19" but looks great. :D

21. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have used a ProView Monitor for two years and would without a doubt get another one. The proView is made by the same company that makes ViewSonic but the ProView is at least 30% cheaper. I have three proview's and really do like them, great color and image reproduction. I replaced a Sony with the ProView and it out performs the sony easily. The ProViews are available at W-M stores.

22. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

this will get your monitor clean without damaging it

Attached Files:

23. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi bellgamin,
    Using a Samsung 22" (1680X1050) digital and an NEC 17" (1280X1024) in analog.

The Samsung display is excelent and have had no issues with it at all. The NEC is the real star here as I have had it since early 2003 and has never given me a minute of trouble. I use it now as an extension to my workspace, but it is still rock-solid...

Mike

24. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

I can only speak from my own personal experience. While I have used numerous monitors in both my civilian and military careers I have only purchased ViewSonic monitors for use at home. I currently am using at home a 19" ViewSonic Professional Series PS790. Everyone is going to have their own personal preference and that is how it should be. However, for me I have only had outstanding experience with ViewSonic and I don't intent on purchasing anything but ViewSonic in the future.

25. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

A lot of color professionals using either Samsung or Nec highends,but the ferrari screens at the moment are the led Eizo's,must confess barely payable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.