which is the best way to clean nvidia video card?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by mantra, Dec 21, 2015.

1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

See the link to the power connector adapter in post #46 above. This adapter will allow you to connect your fan to the adapter, then the adapter to one of those big power supply connectors.

3. mantra

mantra Registered Member

ok thanks
    now please can you tell me your advises ?
    i guess i messed
    sorry my english is really poor
    thanks Bill

4. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

I do it manually, it's kind of a dirty job but I get the "voltage" that I want.
    On my PSU, yellow is +12v, red is +5v. So if I want 12v, I just connect the wires into the yellow and a black (ground).
    If I want 5v, I just change the wire that was connected to the yellow cable (on the connector) to the red wire.

If I want 7v, I just connect the "+" wire of the fan to the 12v (yellow) wire on my PSU, and the "-" wire of the fan to the red (+5v).

This is good if the fan is noisy and you want a powerful setting at day time, which is hotter (using 12v, nobody cares about the noise), and a lower-speed fan at night when it's cooler (5 or 7 v).

5. Bill_Bright

I don't know what you really want from me.

I showed you from Newegg UK many options. And I showed the adapter you need.
    Ummm, nobody is talking about voltages. And you talk about changing wires on the connector when there still confusion about which connector. Sorry, but I think this just confuses the issue.

6. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi Bill
    first i want to thank you
    i did want to be rude , i guess it's a translation problem
    i have understood your previous posts , that's all
    best regards and i really appreciate it a lot your help!

7. CHEFKOCH

CHEFKOCH Registered Member

I would suggest you not clean any pc hardware with an air compressor because they usually split a bit oil that comes out with the air, this is for the components of the compressor.

I better would use an pc air duster or even better an air blower. They aren't too strong with the air but strong enough to clean the dust, you not need to dissemble anything, this possible is too complicated and quits your warranty, just ensure you fixed the fan with some tape or something so that you not harm the bearing of the Fan.

I clean my card/pc components once in a month.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  8. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

@CHEFKOCH An air blower will only be of any use if there is very little dust. Since you're cleaning monthly it shouldn't be a problem in your case. But once a lot of dust has built up you need something with a lot more pressure. I've just bought an air compressor (and a filter) to clean dust from laptops, as I find both the duster cans and my electric duster (which was not cheap) to be close to useless when there is a lot of dust to be dislodged.

Bill actually recommended the use of a particulate filter in his first post in this thread.

9. Bill_Bright

To be sure, you were not rude, and I did not take it that way. So no worries there.

Yeah, as roger noted, you must use a moisture and particulate filter with an air compressor. You don't need an expensive one like the one you linked too. That one is way overkill and for use with compressors that can go up to 250PSI - way more than typical air compressors found in homes, electronics shops or even auto-repair shops. For electronics, 80 - 90PSI is perfect and most compressors let you dial down the output side to that. If not, just back the nozzle out a bit. Just make sure you use a wooden Popsicle/glue stick to hold fan blades stationary so you don't over spin the bearings.

Note that professional electronics repair facilities have been using compressed air with air compressors forever! I personally have since 1972 when I started maintaining air traffic control radio equipment for the USAF. We even had compressed air piped into the shop running to each workbench!

Note that air compressors are also used in bakeries for decorating cakes. And with air brushes to paint faces at county fairs! So with a suitable filter, spewing rusty, oily water on your electronics is not a problem. For sure, if you clean electronics often, a compressor (with a filter) is a great investment. And of course, if you get a decent size one, you can use it with a nail gun for roofing or building fences, air painting, and all sorts of other projects too. And the first time you can just fill up a flat tire so you can drive to the tire shop instead of having to change the tire with the spare, you will thank yourself for buying it.

I like uprights like this one. For one, it takes up less floor space in my garage. Plus, because water condensation WILL be created during compression and run down and pool at the bottom, I like the fact that pool of water is farther away from the output port, and thus harder to be sucked up. This may not really be an issue, but it makes me feel better anyway - even with a filter.

10. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Bill
    i bought the fan you have suggested and the power connector adapters

i set the fan on the bottom left panel , to push air out from my case ,it's a 12cm 1200mm (my idea is to tak out most dust that i can do it)
    in short i have 2 artic 14mm in the front , 2 artic close the cpu (1 up the cpu ) (1 left to the cpu)
    now i have 1 fan more , on the left panel , that pull out air

the fan is close to the psu and video card , what do you think ?
    http://i.imgur.com/LSjyNU1.jpg

11. Bill_Bright

As I said above, "you want front to back (and/or bottom to top) air flow through the case". So that fan on the bottom is blowing the wrong way. And note if you check your case manual, I am sure it would say that location is for "intake" fans to blast air directly onto heat sensitive devices like the CPU or GPU.
    It does not work that way. Air (and dust) will come in through every vent, crack and crevice. So the only way to reduce dust is to have use air filters on the intakes.

12. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    i have "you want front to back air flow through the case" 2 fans in the fron (air in ) 2 fans back air out

so have a fan on the left paenl that push air out is a bad idea ,isn't
    the dust are only around the video card , because there is not filter on the left panel

thanks

13. Bill_Bright

Side panel fans should blow air in. That said, in some cases, side panel fans actually hurt cooling because it can disrupt the desired "flow" of air through the case. So I always watch my temperatures and see if the side fan actually helps, makes worse, or does nothing.

Also, because the side panel is a big piece of metal or plastic with little or no reinforcement, a side panel fan can add to overall fan noise more than front, rear or top mounted fans.

14. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    yes i know about noise
    my side fan blow air out , it 's not close to the cpu or gpu fan
    the temperature is the same
    what will you suggest ? dismount it
    thanks

15. Bill_Bright

If I was going to use a side panel fan I would have it blowing in, not out. But I suggest you use a hardware monitoring program like Speccy to monitor your temps and run your computer with and without the fan and see what happens.

16. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    i did today
    no differences , but the side fan is powerfull , can i damage the cpu or gpu fan?
    thnks

17. Bill_Bright

I don't understand what you mean. The only way you can damage the CPU or GPU fan is by physical abuse, or incorrect voltages.

If your temps are fine and the fan noise does not bother you, then you are good to go.

18. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    for example at the beginning i have mounted the fan on the left panel blowing air Out , perpendicular to che cpu fan , and i have noticed that the cpu fan spins not correctly

thanks

19. Bill_Bright

Perpendicular? Are you using the OEM fan? Perpendicular means at a 90° or right angle. OEM CPU fans sit on top the CPU and blow down onto the CPU. A side panel fan would blow onto the CPU or away from the CPU, not at a 90° angle.

Never the less, if you notice the fan is not spinning correctly with the fan blowing out (which I have repeatedly said is the wrong way!), then don't do it that way! Turn it around, or remove it.

20. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Hi Bill
    not perpendicular , sorry my mistake
    i wanted to mean on the same height of the cpu fan

21. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Bill
    is there a tool to know ram temperature?
    is a good idea keep the ram temperature low?
    thanks

22. Bill_Bright

Understand your CPU, GPU and system (chipset) temperatures cannot be read by ANY software tool if the CPU, GPU or chipset don't have a built-in sensor to read. Same with RAM. To monitor your RAM temps, there must be a temperature sensor built into the RAM module and most RAM don't include one.

As noted by the last line in my signature, heat will destroy all electronics so of course it is a good idea too keep RAM temps low. But typically you don't have to day anything special to do that. You just ensure you have adequate front-to-back air flow through the case, and you keep the interior clean of heat-trapping dusts - things you must do anyway to keep everything properly cooled inside your case.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.