which is the best blu-ray device?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by stenews, Jan 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stenews

stenews Registered Member

Hi to everyone in this forum's room ;)
    I was wondering to buy a new brand blu-ray device but I'm driving mad which one is going to be the most suitable for me.
    I'd like to be able to read and write DVD-RAM but first off it's not clear in my mind which is the meaning of that media.

Could someone be able to briefly explain me the differences between that disk type and the other ones?
    It'll be appreciated any good guess about model and brand of the most "troubles free" devices.

Bye and many thanks in advantage. I'll be more than thank for any reasonable answer.
    Stefano.

2. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

I suppose you refer to a Blu ray writer for the PC. I am not very familiar with the current models in commerce, but your demand for DVD-RAM, restricts your options. The DVD-RAM format, for all i know, was mainly supported over the years from LG. Most other simple DVD burners, never supported it.

With a swift google search, seems LG continues this tradition. This one can read and write blu rays and says it supports DVD-RAMs too.

http://www.blurayfreak.com/2008/05/lg-blu-ray-writ.html

So, it i were you, i 'd go to the LG site and see what blue ray writer models they have and which is the latest one. However you will pay it quite expensively. Even blue ray readers are still quite expensive. Writers are even more.

If there isn't any particular reason, maybe you should abbandon the DVD-RAM format and go for the most common dvds.

For detailed info on blue-ray, dvd+r, dvd-r, dvd-ram, i think you will find easily some good wikipedia articles.

The blue ray basically uses a new wavelength that allows a thinner laser beam, so it increases the amount of data you can put on a single disk. The same thing applied when it was the passage from cd to dvd laser.

3. stenews

Hi Fuzzfas and many thanks for your reply :D
    I'll follow your advise and I'll look around for "standard" device

Anyway, many thanks for your help.
    I really appreciate all that.

Stefano.

4. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Well, if you decide to abbandon the dvd-ram, then all options are open for you. So, i would suggest a visit here:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f142/

They have reviews of many blu ray burners and if you ask them, i am sure they will tell you which is currently the best.

5. stenews

thanks again mate, I'll do that for sure as soon! :p

Bye and many thanks again I really appreciate all you did.
    Stefano.

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

Well, my first one was a Sony-NEC, and it was crap, failed after 5 months with very very limited use.

my current one seems to fit better, and 'touch-wood' is working much better.

...current one is a Matshita (Panasonic) by the way.

.. or just get a PS3, the one inside that as been extremely stable. :)

downstairs i also have a stand-a-lone blu-ray player which is a Sony, seems a little slow at reading compared to my matshita inside my laptop, but so far, very stable.

7. stenews

hi mate and thanks to you too!
    While I was reading your post I thought that it's always very important to know about many user experiences ;)

Bye and thanks a lot again.
    Stefano.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.