Which is better?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by kalpik, Aug 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kalpik

kalpik Registered Member

Hi!

I would like to know which is better, McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.0i with AntiSpyware Module, or Symantec AntiVirus Corporate v10 or v9?

Please judge on the following information:
    • Detection Rates (Inclusive of AddWare, SpyWare etc.)
    • Resource Usage (ie. Ram, CPU usage)
    • Lightness (Cuz some AVs run very light even if they take good ammount of RAM)
    • Update Frequency
    • Number of processes
    Now am i asking too much?? :D :D

2. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

i did try them both a little while back and I think that all your needs are best performed by Mcafee.

3. kalpik

kalpik Registered Member

Finally! A reply! Hehe.. Thanks a lot! One more question.. i hear that McAfee is more buggy. Is that true?

4. Ianb

Ianb Registered Member

I have been fortunate enough to have tried all 3. Detection wise I would say SYM CORP 10 and VSE 8.0i are fairly close, CORP 9 doesn't have as much protection as 10.

SYM 10 is very light once you disable the start up scan, where as VSE is OK. VSE uses more ram.

Both should do a good job. If you are looking for a corporate solution though I'd pick KAV. Cheaper, faster and better detection.

5. kalpik

kalpik Registered Member

On my pc, NAV takes more than 60-70 MB of ram and VSE uses around 30 mb

6. Ianb

Ianb Registered Member

Is that NAV or SAV though ? Symantec Anti Virus Corp uses alot less than Norton Anti Virus - in my experience.

7. hbkh

hbkh Registered Member

Thats insane... no av should use anywhere near that much, imo... :(

8. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Registered Member

Hehheee... I agree completely. It is so insane it is actually funny to read it. I stopped using norton av years ago because of their haphazard and unrefined code. I run Symantec Corp at work and it is better than the home versions thats true but it still is a pig on resources and can sometimes lock up clients when the schedules scans kick off. In particular Outlook 2002 seems to crash just about every time Symantec updates. All in all for corp use it is ok but I would run Mcafee for home use without question if you were chosing between the two. In fact you can download a free 30 day I believe it is, trial of virusscan and see what you think. Keep in mind thought that they use all active X components in your browser for updates and such. So you need to be running IE fro your browser if you chose Mcafee. I have it running on my wife's PC and so far it has worked really well and was alot lighter than Nortons was. It is also a very easy to use app for her an so far no infections on her machine. One thing I hate about it is their is no log that I can find for it. Only the information popups when it finds something and cleans it.

9. kalpik

kalpik Registered Member

Oh sorry for the confusion but it IS Symantec Corporate v10! I've even forund reports of it using upto 120 MB on some forums! Hehe... Not kidding!

10. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

From the testing I did awhile back in a corporate enviroment, McAfee seemed to fair better. ;)

Did not miss anything that we threw at it.

11. wangk0998

wangk0998 Registered Member

both good, but I prefer MVSE 8i

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.