Which is better Dr.Web or AntiVir?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Brandon, Sep 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

Nice to hear about the Antivir premium version. I have always like Antivir but was frustrated with the updating. I do not use pop3 scanner, since I use web based email only.

2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

As with previous versions the new 4.33 will cover Win98. In fact protection may be even better than that on NT systems as SpiderNetting and kernal protection are only implemented on non-NT systems.

3. Brandon

Brandon Registered Member

Sounds good, I think I am going to wait on trialing Dr.Web until the 4.33 version comes out ;)

Regards,

Brandon

4. the phoenix

the phoenix Guest

Blackcat, can you please post a link of where I can buy the premium version for 24.99, thanks.

5. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Try here.

Price is 20 Euros plus Value Added Tax if you are in Europe.

6. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

7. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:eek: Go back and look at the number of times it has been a hassle to update products from H+BEDV. I think this question now will answer itself. Doesn't matter how good or bad for that matter the product is, if you can't keep it up to date it becomes of no value.

Thanks
    Wildman
    o_O

8. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

If i did go back and look, would most of these posts about this be...........ahem.........yours :p :D

Anyway, the paid version of AntiVir has it's own server, which from what i hear is a lot better/faster. :)

9. mantra

mantra Registered Member

i hate the drweb real time engine, it's the more worse!!!
    antivir has a great real time engine, it's a great av

10. wildman

:eek: O.k. I'll take your word for it, but my memory tells me that individuals have been complaining about the server(s) for almost six years now. I may be the prolific poster about this item but I assure you I am not the only one to have complained about it over the years.

Is AntiVir really that great, and if you are going to shell out money isn't there better options than this product?

Thanks
    Wildman

11. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Yes, there are better options, but the subscribtion is quite low at 20 euro's and that could of course be important to some users, it's got a decent detection (the best among free AV's). Some might like it very much and would be willing to buy, to get better/faster updates and the more costumers willing to do that, the more H+BEDV can do to improve. :)

12. Brandon

I also agree. AntiVir actually has the better detection rate then some of the paid antivirus also. Yes they could also improve on there product.

Regards,

Brandon

13. wildman

o_O O.k. just one more question. They have shown no significant improvement to the server(s) over the past almost six years now, what makes you think they will do so in the near foreseeable future? This is why I lambaste this company and will continue to do so.

It makes the product insignificant if one has to continuously hassle to try and keep it updated.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :rolleyes:

14. Brandon

The AntiVir Classic(free) or the AntiVir Premium? If AntiVir Classic then I also dont think that will change there server so we get updates faster, as this is a 'special' offer too those who pay for the product. ;) Hope this answers your question.

Regards,

Brandon

Last edited: Sep 25, 2005
  15. wildman

:rolleyes: Not really as other "free" products appear to have no where near the problems in this area that H+BEDV has had and continues to have. H+BEDV has played cute in suggesting that they were attempting to resolve this, but as of yet no actual results have materialized. Their latest attempt at a BETA version with no infrastructure to support it is once again a dismal failure, and this after waiting almost five years for them to get to that stage. Free yes, but not this free one.

Thanks
    Wildman

16. wildman

:eek: I now give up, after years of trying to get you to pay attention, if you want to put up with the continuous hassle of trying to update AntiVir/Classic, knock yourselves out. Just remember that when you complain that you can't update it, no one on this or any other BB can do a dang thing about it, and apparently H+BEDV doesn't give a rats behind either. Now before you go saying that the Wildman does not know what he is talking about, ask yourself "why has he been able to post about this so often, if there were no problem?". I have now been persuaded to utilize AVAST, and urge all who have machines that will support it, to switch from AntiVir/Classic, use AVAST, AVG or any of the other "free" virus protection programs.

Thanks
    Wildman

17. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

A few minutes ago I updated my AntiVir, I timed it and it took 15 seconds exactly, from the moment I first clicked the icon to the moment the update completed - and I'm not even using the new cumulative update beta version!

Can the Wildman please explain why 15 seconds constitutes 'hassle' updating?

Why can't he just accept that no AV suits everyone and just because AntiVir is not for him does not mean it is not an excellent choice for others?

18. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I have AntiVir on my computer. There are times of the day when it will time out trying to update. This is using an adsl connection. When it does update, it is very quick however.
    Guessing, I would say their servers are overloaded as it is a very popular, free, antivirus.

19. wildman

:rolleyes: I must have continuously tried at the "wrong" time for the on and off again almost past five to six years now. Each time, granted there were a few exception, I would have difficulty connecting with the server(s). I think you may have this confused with my saying that the down load is slow, because in that case you would be correct in what you say. I know that I some times may not have made it clear enough. So once again to try and make it as clear as I possibly can "THE SERVER(S) SUCK!".

Thanks
    Wildman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.