Which is better Antivir/Classic or AVAST "free"

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by wildman, Feb 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

I don't understand this o_O so virus attack according to what Country we live ? Hmmm, avast! must be for the USA virus :)

AntiVir doesn't have an HTTP scanner, avast! does (WebShield) that may or may not slow down surfing (doesn't for me) The "p2p" module in avast! has nothing to do with "surfing".

Detection ?? oh, yes test have shown AntiVir has better detection than avast!...need I remind all that after such test, which AV had the WMF exploit covered 100% first ?......oh, avast! did :) I guess 100% ITW detection depends on what day the real world test (not lab) takes place.

I think both AV's are very good. I don't like the AntiVir updates (on dialup), even the new version 7 gave me some problems but not as bad as version 6 did.

avast! has pretty much been trouble free for me, updates fast, configuration to your hearts content, catches virus that effect the people in the US (J/K tiagozt ) and great support.

Now a comment on the resource thing...avast! isn't even close to a resource hog, as a matter of fact IMO avast doesn't use enough memory. Memory is fast, real fast and I like fast. I wish ALWIL would make avast! use more memory :D

2. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Well he does has a point there. The spreading of viruses is indeed country/region/continent related. Some infections are a big spread in Russia, while they cause only a few infections in the USA. That has to do with where the spreading starts and the time-zones releated with database updates.
    (Of course there can be many other reasons, like the usage of particular software. You will see that MSN worms spread faster in countries with a high amount of MSN users.)

3. wildvirus88

wildvirus88 Registered Member

Yes...
    We receive many trojan.downloader and trojan.banker that to bank fraud...
    These viruses are specifity of my country...

;)

4. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

Ok I see your point, I forget that everyone isn't like myself, one who travels all over the world through the net.

@Sputnik, thanks I'll visit Russia less :p

5. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

It's taken for an example of course :p The USA has a way bigger precentage of infected systems...

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Yes, viruses have also nationalities, fingerprints, symptoms, treatments, antidotes, ... :D

7. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Avast free.
    ellison

8. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:) I don't really know what you mean by clean, but the following has always worked for me. Yes I have done this more than a couple of times.

(1) Pause all security related programs.

(2) Use the control panel and the uninstall option to uninstall AntiVir.

(3) Check your program files to determine if the AntiVir folder is still there or not. If it is delete the complete folder.

(4) Use a good registry cleaner to see if any files are still left. If there are any delete them.

That is it.

Thanks
    Wildman

9. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Difficult choice to make....AntiVir because it runs lighter, at least on my system.

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Seems they both have their +'s and -'s. On my system, Avast ran much lighter on ram, around 16mb or less, compared to the fixed 24mb of the new AntiVir 7. I did find a slight slowdown in the speed of rendered pages in the browser when using the Avast web shield, but you can disable it if desired. Avast certainly has more features and configurability. AntiVir detects well, but I believe Avast is probably good enough in that area too. AntiVir's updating process is terrible, as many have mentioned. Here in the U.S., I can only update for about 12 hours out of each day. So there's no scheduling updates say every 4 hours or anything like that. Just won't cut it. And I won't even harp on that hideous AntiVir nag screen. So, all that said, if Avast can indeed detect as well as AntiVir, then I would have to choose Avast.

11. PCJohn

PCJohn Registered Member

I tried Avast, now and a few years ago.
    Like the frist time it did make my Pc and surfing slow.
    Because my system is old and budget limited therefore i prefer freeware.
    (English is not my native language so i might not explain it like i would in my own language).

12. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:) Yup I have made up my mind, and think I have stated the reasons for doing so. Just wanted to hear the rationalism of others, and perhaps get some to rethink their options.

Thanks
    Wildman

13. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

So the biggest & most important difference between the 2. Has been reconfirmed. AntiVir updates still are terrible. Available only at certain times & require user action.

14. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

The only thing that AntiVir is better than avast! is that have heuristics, the rest avast! can offer much more protection, features and support...

15. pcontour

pcontour Registered Member

More info on memory usage for Antivir

I am running Antivir right now and it is using 8,650 k for two processes. Now I got my scheduled update and the 2 processes are running at 21,400 k. That is pretty fishy.

16. pcontour

1. Not quite.
    2. Don't know
    3. No - it doesn't impact performance on my machine.

You can run updates minimized and it will show a small box a the top right of your screeen. It's not intrusive.

17. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Version 7 has run a rock steady and consistent 24mb total here since I installed it. Never budges a drop.

18. pcontour

So mine is down to 10, mb now. It has been dropping gradually. It does keep scanning perfectly. Even though I said it was fishy, it's a good fish like Salmon, not a bad fish like a flounder. If is was growing instead of shrinking I would have some concern.

19. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

If there is memory why not use it? I know avast! does that quiet often.
    When on Desktop with plenty of free memory it uses up to 25MB, but if you play some game and return to desktop you'll see it using as low as only 2,5MB of memory (all processes together) and then slowly return back to ~15-20MB (though this isn't the rule so it may differ when enlarging back).

20. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

Thats what I would do too. I would clean up my system and load up one of them and run with it for a few days so that I got comfortable with it and the pc got use to it Then load up the other as an ondemand and run it once a week. Also once and a while I would take atrip through Bitdefender online scan or Kaspersky just to make sure all was well.

21. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

After numerous attempts trying to get my reinstall of AV6 to update the virus signatures properly, and also getting sick of the constant large AV7 unasked for DL that automatically is included once again every time, i took the plunge and uninstalled AV6 and reinstalled a fresh copy of AV7 from the website the other day.

Apart from a couple of failed updates this latest version seems ok so far. I just hope it doesn't go t**s up again like before.

What i don't like is the program wanting to update on it's own as soon as you go online. I tried disabling schedm.exe which worked, until i went to update manually and couldn't as schedm.exe wasn't running ! So i had to re enable it and have to cancel the attempted auto updates along with avnotify when they launch. Once again inconvenience built in.

The option to shut down the AV has dissapeared from the right click on the tray icon. I presume this is to stop kids etc from killing it by accident or otherwise.

StevieO

22. LambChop

LambChop Registered Member

The tray icon should still be there:
    I had to uninstall twice before I got it to stay -- tip - for some reason, I could only get a good download from the 'main' download -- which takes mega time!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2006
  23. nicM

nicM nico-nico

I don't know how it was for version 6, but with 7 you can suspend the guard, with a mouse clic on "activate antivir guard", to uncheck it in the systray icon menu: processes are still running, but disabled. Isn't it what you want?

Cheers,
    nicM

24. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

LambChop

Yes the tray icon is always there, but compare to AV6 the option to shut down the AV has dissapeared from the right click options.

nicM

With AV6 i could both suspend the guard and shut down the AV, but not in AV7, only suspend the guard, i was hoping for both. I did suggest last week in another thread that passwording things like these two options might be a good safety feature to have, but got no response !

Thanks to both of you

StevieO

25. LambChop

LambChop Registered Member

:oops:
    Sorry StevieO!
    I misunderstood you - my bad.

As of today, I have gone back to AVG - I really hate to -- but, I have to.
    I just cannot get the hang of the AVAST program - because of my old system AVAST just is not for me as near as I can figure out.:'(

I have been to the English section of the AntiVir support page and the overwhelming feeling I got was -- 'the free program does not pay the bills - so, stop telling us about your problems with it -- we do not care!'
    :rolleyes:

So, if and when I get enough money to upgrade my system and purchase new software -- you can bet your bottom dollar, that I will not be purchasing anything from AntiVir! :thumbd:

I will just have to make do with AVG free until the aircraft industry gets back on its feet -- or until I learn a new trade -- which ever happens first! :cautious:

Best of Luck to you!
    :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.